Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

21 - 29 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
293 Posts
My advice...don't touch it!

Since I bought my SS, every time I have a few beers and get on the internet some expensive accessory turns up in the post a few days later.

I can only believe this will be an even bigger problem with the older models.

I know that problem-look what happened to me-sat down with my mate John Hackett to discuss turning a crash damaged 1000SS into a cheap trackbike and then got a bit too enthusiastic-budget went right out of the window. Worst of all I don't have the excuse of any achohol to blame................

John

·
Registered
945 Posts
Now I don't have a hill but I have an unheated garage - but with electricity-> Is there an engine block heater that anyone could recommend?
DDG
No block heater, but I'd have a battery tender on at all times - gives you more full volume cranking to start a frozen lump with...

·
Registered
1,142 Posts
I know that problem-look what happened to me-sat down with my mate John Hackett to discuss turning a crash damaged 1000SS into a cheap trackbike and then got a bit too enthusiastic-budget went right out of the window. Worst of all I don't have the excuse of any achohol to blame................

John
Yeah, but your bike sure is purty though!

·
Registered
127 Posts
Discussion Starter #26
Dyna coils, jet kits etc.

Thanks all for the replies - but now I have (gulp) more questions!

1) I don't know much about Dyna Coils, what advantages do they have?

2) As for other mods, just checked the garage yesterday and my old TBR slip-ons are still there albeit covered in cobwebs. I found out that K&N still makes the air filter for this bike and Dynojet still makes the stage II jet kit. So here is a question. I was reading a Motorcycle Consumer News article from 1998 called "Ducati Lovers Special". The article itself was called "900SS Hop-Up" and discussed, among other things, the three main jets that come with the Stage II kit. One was stock, one was for aftermarket headers, one was for high altitude. Now I will have my TBR slip-ons but with the stock headers .. but I live at high altitude (~7300 feet or ~2225 m). Any idea which jetting I should use?

3) Regarding the airbox, with slipons, do I just run with an open airbox, or snorkles removed, or is there an aftermarket (more open) airbox cover?

Also I did book a shipment of my bike with Daily Direct (haulbikes.com) but I did it through BevelHeaven which dropped the cost from $636 to $593 :). So I have saved a few bucks there - which I have already spent on the Haynes 91-96 2-vlv manual and desmo vlv adjustment DVD - both currently on sale at ProItalia.

Anyway, thanks and sorry for the deluge of questions!
DDG

·
Registered
145 Posts
1. http://www.ducatitech.com/2v/aftermarket/dyna_kit.html

They are available from: http://ca-cycleworks.com

2. Not sure, BCM did mine on the dyno and I never asked.

3. Some run open, with a ring to secure the air filter. That's good, unless you want to ride in the rain. Mine has the snorkles removed and some extra holes drill on the rear portion of the cover(the part covered by the tank).

The other real helpful book for these bikes is "Ducati Desmodue/Desmotre Maintenance and Modification Guide" by LT Snyder.

http://www.desmotimes.com/

Enjoy! You won't regret buying another SS.

·
Registered
87 Posts
I did the jet kit after some people told me to go straight to FCR's.
Now 2 years later I have the FCR's and wish I had gone with the Carb's in the first place.
They really are worth the money.:D

·
Registered
127 Posts
Discussion Starter #29
Thanks for the replies, the more info the better & I did not know about the desmotimes mod reference. Will have to check this out!

Cheers,
DDG

21 - 29 of 29 Posts