Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everybody,

Im relatively new to the ducati world.

I test rode a senna grey 900 ss last week. and it was a surprisingly nice ride. It had about 13000 miles on it. It was a 2002 model. it felt very wel put together. I was expexting a lot of rattles and stuff, but none of that.

Now I have a few questions about this bike.

Considering it had its regular maintenance, what are the running costs of these bikes? Is there anything I should watch for? is there a difference in the 750, 900 and the 1000 ds in maintenance?
I tried asking the same questions to the dealers, they said they are generally trouble free... But i dont trust them.

gr Sev

·
Registered
8,545 Posts
My first Ducati was a '97 SS/SP. It went 30,000 mi. with not one issue. After a guy in a Civic totalled it, I bought a used '96 SS/SP. It had 5,000 mi. but had not been treated properly and had some inherent issues like frame crack, valve guides, cylinder scoring, etc. I rebuilt it and rode it another 25,000 mi. without incident. If the SS you are looking at has maintenance records indicating proper care, I would guess it will be very reliable.

·
Registered
266 Posts
i'd ask the seller for maintenance records: hopefully you'll see frequent oil changes with good oil, belt changes with Ducati belts only, and valve clearance checks every 6000 miles. check the belt tensioner bearings (easy to do) - if one siezes it'll fry the belt. i had a monster 750 for 3 seasons, then a 749 and now a '96 ss/cr. zero problems, but i check them closely before purchase.

actually, i'd walk away if no maint records - there are always more around to look at - be patient!:D
bobp

·
Registered
1,557 Posts
No one has answered your "running costs" question. The valve adjustments are around $300-350 and the cam belts are another $75 or so installed as I recall. Otherwise, its a sport bike, which means tires every 4-5000 miles and a new chain every 10,000 or so.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
No one has answered your "running costs" question. The valve adjustments are around $300-350 and the cam belts are another $75 or so installed as I recall. Otherwise, its a sport bike, which means tires every 4-5000 miles and a new chain every 10,000 or so.
Thanks for the info. Did a testrun today on a 96 ss900. Very easy to ride. Much better than the 2002 model!! A great motorcycle, sounds are super even with the standard exhausts!!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts