Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i am considering buying a 99 750 ss low miles i can get it for a good deal from a friend, ive been looking up specs on it.....i dont know much about bikes at all let alone ducatis, but in reading im seeing its only 64hp top speed of about 125? is this true.....will i keep up with friends with gsxr's or cbrs.....i dont need to be the fastest, but i dont wanna be left in the dust.....what kind of mods can i do to get some more power?

·
Registered
319 Posts
In the dust

If your friends have any idea what they are doing, you will be left in the dust.

But you can have a lot of fun there.

·
Registered
235 Posts
sort the suspension and gear it down quite a bit and the 750 will hold its own on the twisties. You'll get dusted in the straights, but that's not what the bike is for anyway. In all I've found it to be a very inexpensive, unique and rewarding ride.

·
Registered
1,230 Posts
it depends, how good of a rider are you, and how good are they?

in all reality here, I'm not talking about how good your or their egos say...;)

if you're a better rider than they are, you should be able to keep up with them.

btw - you do know that these are air cooled, two-valve bikes. Hence the reason it's lower on power and top speed than what you're probably thinking it should be....maybe simply because it says Ducati on the side of it?

btw - what's a good price? or is it a 'good price' for a Ducati that you're thinking?

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
thanks for the info, a 99 750 for $3,000 i thouhgt that was a pretty good price yeah? im looking to spend between 3-4 and it looks like that is the best thing i can get.....im not expecting to SMOKE jap bikes because of the ducati sticker on the side, i jsut want to be able to hold my own....i would put some money into it, exhaust jet kit, change the gears, do you think it would be worth it to just hold out and find a 900? spend more or shoudl i move on the 750

·
Registered
709 Posts
superduc21 said:
Good luck with the jet kit :p
comeon superduc....don't start picking on him, it's only his second post and you'll scare him off ;)

Bigwig, 99 forward are fuel injected [no jets]

3 is a good deal. I'd buy it. [and some 800 heads, and a 6speed, and some HC pistons, and a lightened crank, and, and ,and......]

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
lol thanx for the advice, told you i was a newb lol, it sounds like this could be a fun bike to get into.....the bike that im looking at has been sitting, what are some things i should do jsut to get it on the road, i know it needs a battery, and i would do tires just as a saftey issue, any other matinence you suggest?

·
Registered
1,230 Posts
if it were me, I'd stick it out ofr the 900 if you were worried about being able to keep pace with some jap bikes.

A lot of people will probably flame me for that saying that a good rider will still be able to outride those jap bikes even on a 750.

I went from a 750 sport to a 900SS. There's not a big difference in power, but it is enough to make it noticeable to me. Getting out on the highway with those extra ponies and that extra torque is a lot easier on the 900.

Personally, I can't see spending all kinds of money on a 750 to make it make more power, when it ends up being right around the same as the 900...all be it a hair lighter I guess...

maybe that's the car junkie in me coming out....who knows...lol

how many miles does this bike have on it btw?

·
Registered
709 Posts
bigwiggen said:
lol thanx for the advice, told you i was a newb lol, it sounds like this could be a fun bike to get into.....the bike that im looking at has been sitting, what are some things i should do jsut to get it on the road, i know it needs a battery, and i would do tires just as a saftey issue, any other matinence you suggest?
cam belts, and maybe get the injectors cleaned [depending on where and how long it has been sitting]

·
Registered
1,230 Posts
blade625CT said:
cam belts, and maybe get the injectors cleaned [depending on where and how long it has been sitting]
IIRC, it's carbed.

·
Registered
709 Posts
JDuc said:
IIRC, it's carbed.
'99 was the first year for fuel injection in the SS lineup. It was also the year they went to the "new" bodystyle.

·
MultiModerator
1,419 Posts
750 or 900 I had them both, 900SS street, 750SS track. Neither is going stop you from getting smoked in a straight line, but really does it matter? For me the answer is no on the street. I prefer going a moderate pace on the straights and upping it some in the turns and thats were both those bike shine.

If I could get a great deal on a FI 750SS I'd do it and probably sell my oldie 750SS that's in dire need of a lot of TLC.

·
Registered
92 Posts
Biggwiggen:
I recently bought a 2000 with 3500 miles. For a little less money. Needed nothing. 3000 is a decent price, I have had 30 bikes, it is like nothing else I have ever owned. It is not fast period but there is something about it that makes it just a great bike to ride. 2 valve, air cooled is the way to go for ease of maintenance, less money to get into, and have serviced (if you don't do it yourself).

check/change the belts, and check/adjust valves if they haven't been done, change oil, get rid of sidestand switch, and add aftermarket pipes or cheaper still, change the baffles in the stock pipes.
and enjoy. I bought my first duc, and after my first ride I was hooked, and thinking what my next one will be. (1000 ss ds) Good luck
just do it.

·
Registered
1,230 Posts
correct, and I knew that. I think I'm getting this thread confused with another thread going on somewhere regarding a carbed SS that someone is looking at buying...lol

blade625CT said:
'99 was the first year for fuel injection in the SS lineup. It was also the year they went to the "new" bodystyle.

·
Registered
176 Posts
asshat said:
Biggwiggen:
''' it is like nothing else I have ever owned. It is not fast period but there is something about it that makes it just a great bike to ride. 2 valve, air cooled is the way to go for ease of maintenance, less money to get into, and have serviced (if you don't do it yourself)..
I have to agree... I *love* my 750sport (similar to the ss) even though it is not going to pull your arms off in a straight line. It's just got that something that puts a huge grin on your face. It's a bike that loves high speeds and yet is very capable on "technical" twisties.

Regarding power upgrades; you might want to check out the Moto-one web site on mods for this model. It sounds like there really isn't much you can do to get more power out of it - open airbox, pipes and maybe an ECU upgrade. But hey, ride it for a while, then decide.

·
Registered
709 Posts
gomura said:
It sounds like there really isn't much you can do to get more power out of it - open airbox, pipes and maybe an ECU upgrade. But hey, ride it for a while, then decide.
not true...if you really want it.

I dyno'd mine last week.

'99 750SS 80.3 rwhp

that's better than a stock 900 SS

1 - 20 of 36 Posts