Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
138 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok I need some opinions....I am considering between 2 ST4S's...one is a 2003 with low miles (7K)...been dealer serviced and in good shape....the other is about $600 more and is a 2002 with 22K; however, the engine was completely rebuilt by a supposedly reputable shop only a couple of thousand miles ago (due to a lower end bearing failure). The guy who is selling this one seems to know a lot about Ducatis and has gone through it changing out the wheel bearings/ taper steering bearings, brake pads full suspension service with gold valves, lubricated swingarm bearings, radiator kit, kickstand bypass, low effort clutch slave, replaced cam belts, fuel filter and lines, replaced fueld pump and radiator fan relays, replaced starter cables and coolant sensors. It also comes with Sargent seat, carbon pipes and the DD headlight.

I am not as concerned about resale value as I am about longevity between these two.

My question to you guys is...would you rather have a lower mileage but more stock motorcycle or a higher mileage with those custom parts and rebuilt one?

·
Premium Member
1,956 Posts
A bottom-end bearing failure on a 2002 ST4s after only 22K miles is a little suspicious! I know the engine has since been rebuilt, but you have to wonder how that bike has been treated to suffer a bearing failure at such low mileage!

My 2002 ST4s engine was rebuilt this year, also because of a bottom-end bearing that was about to fail, but I had 72,000 miles on the engine when the bearing started making 'whirring' noises. :D

·
Registered
138 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yeah I was a little suspicious as well but the guy selling says that it was a manufacturers defect and covered under warranty. Even so after all of those parts he's changed what else could fail even if it was thrashed? He says it's never been wrecked or at the track.

·
Premium Member
1,956 Posts
You have a real dilemma there! The ST with the rebuilt engine has a lot of great extras on it. If the rebuild is warrantied, it's probably the best choice. I have almost 4,000 on my rebuilt engine so far and everything is fine. If the rebuild was good, you shouldn't have any problems. :)

·
Registered
138 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
grrrrr....ha ha......I know I have a dilemna and that those are great mods.....grrrr....I've got a big ole knot in my stomach trying to decide....to make matters worse the stock one is grey that I love but the other is red which I love slightly less....

what to do what to do?

Just curious who did your engine rebuild?

·
Premium Member
260 Posts
If you want the aftermarket pipes, from what I've seen, they've become a little scarce for these models, nevermind the fact that they run $900+ new.

·
Premium Member
1,956 Posts
grrrrr....ha ha......I know I have a dilemna and that those are great mods.....grrrr....I've got a big ole knot in my stomach trying to decide....to make matters worse the stock one is grey that I love but the other is red which I love slightly less....

what to do what to do?

Just curious who did your engine rebuild?
My local dealer - Motocorsa - did the rebuild. Appear to have done a great job. The bikes riding great at the moment. :D

·
Life is too short to worry !
2,650 Posts
Ok I need some opinions....I am considering between 2 ST4S's...one is a 2003 with low miles (7K)...been dealer serviced and in good shape....the other is about $600 more and is a 2002 with 22K; however, the engine was completely rebuilt by a supposedly reputable shop only a couple of thousand miles ago (due to a lower end bearing failure). The guy who is selling this one seems to know a lot about Ducatis and has gone through it changing out the wheel bearings/ taper steering bearings, brake pads full suspension service with gold valves, lubricated swingarm bearings, radiator kit, kickstand bypass, low effort clutch slave, replaced cam belts, fuel filter and lines, replaced fueld pump and radiator fan relays, replaced starter cables and coolant sensors. It also comes with Sargent seat, carbon pipes and the DD headlight.

I am not as concerned about resale value as I am about longevity between these two.

My question to you guys is...would you rather have a lower mileage but more stock motorcycle or a higher mileage with those custom parts and rebuilt one?
My penny's worth , seems a lot of work done for such a relative low milage ?
Fuel/Radiator Relays/Cables/Sensors - Why ?
Some of the other stuff is just normal TLC and is not an extra.
You should not be paying for somebody elses mods and even paying more for older/ and more miles (rebuilt or otherwise)
I'd go for the newer and lower milage myself and choose what you need/want to change.
Either way I'm sure you will enjoy .....

·
Mr Leakered
8,823 Posts
My local dealer - Motocorsa - did the rebuild. Appear to have done a great job. The bikes riding great at the moment. :D
I'd vouch for Motocorsa's work also. They did all but the 18k service on my ST before I bought it, including a lot of farkle installations for the PO. The other dealer that did the 18k service, not so many good things to say considering some of the stuff I discovered working on the bike.

Motocorsa was also very happy to spend sometime talking with me about the service history before I purchased it.

Have a good one.

·
Registered
1,088 Posts
ECU Reliability?

Hello
I have one of each, and while neither is close to stock, I do worry about those pesky ECU's.
I've been informed (maybe here...) that the '02 4s ECU's were a bit finicky, that by the '03 M/Y they had most of the bugs chased out of 'em. I keep a couple of FIM's just in case, and may be using one real soon on my "built" motor if I can convince my local dyno guy to undertake learning the software.
But, either way, if your ECU pukes on you in these days and times, you're pretty much up a creek.
-I reckon everything else can be fixed, and maybe the ECU's, too, but I wouldn't count on it....

BTW, that bling and farkle is pretty hard to acquire these days for the lusty 4s steeds...

My $.02

·
Registered
195 Posts
i agree..go with the low mileage and it will add up in time.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts