Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
271 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey all, I'm currently considering a trade-out for an 848. Before I even come close to finalizing anything I'd like to inform myself a little more.

In short, I'm concerned about buying a late model SBK whose line hasn't had all of its "kinks" worked out. I've read lots about stalling and idling problems on the 848s, and would like some input on other common issues. The bike in question is an 08 848 with 6600 or so on the clock. I would be the third owner. The second owner bought it from a dealership...who I can call and speak to about the particular bike's history most likely. I'm assuming with that many miles, it's already gotten its kinks worked out. It will, however, need its 7.5k service and I'm considering that also.

Thanks for all your help in advance!
-FT

·
Registered
271 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
No one? I figured at least Tye would chime in!

·
Registered
17 Posts
I just got an 848 couple of months ago.. clocked almost 3,000kms, never experienced any stalling or idling issues, so I guess these "kinks" finally got worked out.

Removed the cat converters and baffles from the stock cans, installed a servo plate kit to open the butterfly valve - still all good, not a single issue. FatDuc O2 manipulator is ordered to make things even better - but so far so good (touching the wood), very happy. Go and get one, you won't be disappointed for sure! ;)

·
Registered
94 Posts
I would go for it. You obviously have Ducati experience, so you will find this one better in every way. I don't own this exact model, but have done 35,000 kms on my '07 1098S, and it's just bliss - by far the best thing I've ever had. After 35 years of Ducatis, these are really something special. There are a lot of these models on the road now, so the knowledge and experience is out there. As to the stalling and low-speed running issues - they all benefit from the more open exhaust, so factor that into the price if it is not already so equipped. :cool:

·
Registered
559 Posts
No issues with mine! All the recalls were performed (2) before I even got it off the showroom floor.

No stalling, no radiator leak, no condensation in the guage or the headlights....

·
Registered
271 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
awesome!

This is exactly the sort of info and feedback I was looking for!

So if I've got this right there were two recalls (and from speaking with the owner they've all been done). Is this correct?

And as far as the idle problems are concerned...it seems to be only a few bikes that were affected, yea?

·
Registered
559 Posts
This is exactly the sort of info and feedback I was looking for!

So if I've got this right there were two recalls (and from speaking with the owner they've all been done). Is this correct?

And as far as the idle problems are concerned...it seems to be only a few bikes that were affected, yea?
Voltage regulator and fuel injector fuel line connection. Get receipts to proove it. He should have all of them. Or contact the dealership he says did them.

The stalling thing is either from valves being out of adjustment or an aftermarket full exhaust or something. They are pretty sensitive to changes that aren't accounted for in the ECU. That's the vast majority ayway.

·
Registered
271 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Voltage regulator and fuel injector fuel line connection. Get receipts to proove it. He should have all of them. Or contact the dealership he says did them.

The stalling thing is either from valves being out of adjustment or an aftermarket full exhaust or something. They are pretty sensitive to changes that aren't accounted for in the ECU. That's the vast majority ayway.
So how is it people are getting away with removing baffles/cat converters from their pipes without negative impact?

·
Registered
559 Posts
Because thats not enough to affect the fuel/air mixture to that point. Some people can install aftermarket cans and have issues, most don't. I was just throwing it out there. Full systems as I did mention WILL require adjustment.

·
Registered
1,518 Posts
I got an 848 Hayden Edition, and it has been great. I had the dealer install the Termi slipon kit with ECU before I picked it up. I then added a Power COmmander 5 and had it mapped and picked up a couple extra HP, disabled the exhaust valve, etc...

I had a stalling issue when the bike was warming up for the first few hundred miles... Once in awhile if I started it up and waited for it to warm up, it would stall. But it never did it once it was warmed up, and it stopped doing it around 800 miles.

I love the bike.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts