Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your bike HERE to be a part of this months Bike of the Month Challenge!
1 - 20 of 52 Posts

·
Banned
8,181 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I'm not one who likes to collect, if I possess an object I want to make sure that I'm truly using it as much as possible. Having said that, I have a 749R which I absolutely love and cherish and ride occasionally, And will never sell. My second bike is a completely customized hyperMotard, impractical as hell anywhere but short blasts in the twisties or in the city, another bike that I will never sell.

Since moving to California however, I noticed there are beautiful areas with incredible scenery that must be reached via long extensions of straight highway slab, and my two babies are ill suited for 4-500+ mile trips, id also like to carry a passenger on an overnight trip occasionally to share the adventure with. I can either purchase a pick-up truck to carry my other two bikes to the destination, or I purchase a multistrada to round out the missed abilities of the other two bikes, a touring bike seems to be the one missing piece of the puzzle.

I have one specifically in mind, it's a 2011 with about 6000 miles on it, S touring With heated grips and bags and every little bit of carbon fiber and rizoma bling that can be mounted. Also has a termi. What price is appropriate for this bike?

and more importantly, is owning three bikes more trouble than it's worth when you really want to be able to use them.

Seeking advice from multi Ducati owners…

Sent from my iPhone using Motorcycle.com App

·
Bon Vivant
11,583 Posts
I know my opinion is like asking a drug dealer if you should take a hit but...

Your description is exactly why I bought my multistrada and I don't regret it for one second.
Candie and I go on more trips together than ever and the bike is so versatile I can use for just about any ride I do and I know the bike will deliver the fun, performance, and comfort.

I'll never sell the SF and the 1098 is a very special bike that I covet but is not practical in any sense. The Multi really encompasses the thrill of these bikes while bringing real world practicality into the equation.

Do it! You wont regret it.

Now, for a reality check; both my multi and my SF need a full belt and valve service right now and at $1200 each it's gonna hurt.
But I will do it and suck it up because both bikes are worth it.

Here are a few pics from just a couple of the many trips from last year:

Attachments

·
Premium Member
293 Posts
You're just helping the rest of us justify the same thing! I was in mid deal on a Multi and the seller backed out, found another and we've agreed in principle subject to my inspection this weekend (fingers crossed). So, uh, yeah, GO FOR IT!

·
Premium Member
1,861 Posts
Your sick

I own two, with the blinged out Monster in Storage (22k Euro for a Danish licence plate).

You sick bastards have induced the thought of trading in my old '10 Multi for a new '13...:rolleyes:

·
Registered
588 Posts
Oh come on, nobody "needs" one Ducati much less three. So what. I have yet to meet a Duc owner who wasn't looking for another to address the perceived shortcomings of the current ride.

So, here I stand in my garage looking at my 916, my Hypermotard and the R1200RT and wondering if I could get enough on trade-in on the BMW to afford a Multistrada.

So no, I don't have any idea what you are talking about.

(Ever consider a nice 06 RT?)

·
Banned
8,181 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Aha!!! So my idea of the "perfect" trio with a hyper and a 749r sbk isn't insane then?

The Reason I like the multi is the sbk engine... I rode Roy's (joshuaz) at ECM last year and was blown away by how fast and manageable and comfortable and... Etc it was. If I could bring myself to sell the others then the multi would suffice. However, I can't, so it wouldn't. Biggest issue is storage as I'm moving up to the city shortly which means $200/mo to park a bike... Still have to figure that part out. Worried that once I buy a multi I won't ride the others though??

What should I be paying for a multi like I described?

·
Resident Raggamuffin
9,716 Posts
I have one specifically in mind, it's a 2011 with about 6000 miles on it, S touring With heated grips and bags and every little bit of carbon fiber and rizoma bling that can be mounted. What price is appropriate for this bike, and more importantly, is owning three bikes more trouble than it's worth when you really want to be able to use them.

Seeking advice from multi Ducati owners…

Hiyas CAlexio,

Regarding the bike in question, does it come with an extended warranty? And to answer your question re: the price which no one yet has, i'd say it trades somewhere between $15,000 and $16,500 depending on how much carbon and quality parts (50% of retail let's say) are on the bike.

As for owning more than two motorcycles, it can become a chore at times in terms of servicing, storing, and insuring them, but having the option of choosing different bikes for different rides/roads is worth it all together in my book.

Have fun with the hunt :),

(mods....maybe move this thread to the multistrada forum?)

·
Registered
2,137 Posts
That engine is not in any superbike.
+1. The engine may have sbk peak power but doesnt run like one. Imo, its better and much more enjoyable in public roads. However it does lack a little bit of character.

·
Retired Pipe Polisher C2H6O+
19,081 Posts
+1. The engine may have sbk peak power but doesnt run like one. Imo, its better and much more enjoyable in public roads. However it does lack a little bit of character.
To bad they sound like a Harley running on one cylinder. :)

·
7,733 Posts
4 in 1

If you did get rid of the other 2, narrow focus bikes, you'd still have the 4 in 1 bike left. :)

I don't consider the MTS to be a true ST bike, but I gravitated to an ST platform as my bike of choice over more narrowly focused bikes as my motorcycling needs and horizons broadened over time. I needed more comfort for longer rides, and more versatility all around, but did not want to give up sport riding or style either. If there is one thing that I have to admit I admire about the MTS12, it's the devoutness of its converted. The majority are smitten with the bike's performance and versatility. Though not my style of bike, I do give credit where it's due and when a bike fosters such a loyal following, especially in the face of so much adversity, it speaks volumes about the intangible quality of the bike.

Buy the MTS, making sure you get the longest, best coverage warranty you can; sell your "trophy bikes" after taking good pictures of them, hang the pictures on your wall, and ride the shit out of the Multi. Chances are you'd never look back even if you keep them, as the Multi is reputedly the best open class, as in takes on all comers, bike out there. :)

·
19,081 Posts
Hey! I heard 90% of all Multis sold are still on the road!

The other 10% made it home.

:)

·
Bon Vivant
11,583 Posts
Hmmm it may be easier to ride and be a bit more relaxed on public roads but I wouldn't say it's more enjoyable.
It all depends on what you find enjoyable - I find a little bit of rawness and wickedness gives me a smile when I'm riding... I don't want to fall asleep :sleep:

·
19,081 Posts
Seriously, I know they are great bikes but knowing their weak points I'd make sure it has an extended warranty. And I would NOT sell the other two because you'll want something to ride for those months when this ones in the shop waiting for parts.

Did I mention that I was chatting with TheLumox a while back. He took his in for the 15k service and the cams had to be replaced because of abnormal wear. At least it was covered by the warranty. I wonder when the service bulletin for this one comes out.

·
Resident Raggamuffin
9,716 Posts
(for as much as i love how the MTS rides, the motor/exhaust make a less than enticing sound in stock form, to me)

·
Registered
2,137 Posts
Hmmm it may be easier to ride and be a bit more relaxed on public roads but I wouldn't say it's more enjoyable.
It all depends on what you find enjoyable - I find a little bit of rawness and wickedness gives me a smile when I'm riding... I don't want to fall asleep :sleep:
I can see why u took the 1098 over the 1199. Matter of preference.

1 - 20 of 52 Posts