Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I currently have an '01 ST-2 but its in the shop because I was at a stop sign and got rear ended by a car. It may be totalled, and if it is, I'm thinking about getting a '02 - '05 SS 800. I know they are air cooled which is not a problem for where I live.

I wanted to know if there are any common problems in the '02 to '05 range of supersports. I have been reading up on here and haven't seen anything mentioned. I know the early ST2's had a problem with the stator/alternator failing early and Ducati had a recall on it to get it worked out. Any similar situations I should be aware of on a Supersport?

Thanks in advance

·
Registered
139 Posts
I can only share problems I've experienced with my 2002 750, so my word is far from law. Flakey tach and a clutch slave cylinder that went out just over 7000 miles. Otherwise the bike has been rock-solid and dead reliable. The tach I live with as I listen to shift and I replaced the slave cylinder with an Evoluzione unit purchased from LT. It's a great bike and you wont be disapointed. In fact I'm looking for another Ducati IN ADDITION to my SS as I enjoy her so much.

Cheers,
C

·
Registered
176 Posts
I also have an 02 750... The low fuel sensor went bad. The shop said that it was a fairly common problem. Also my temp gauge was faulty. Both taken care of under warranty. Otherwise, the bike's been totally reliable.

One thing I've notices in this forum: there have been a number of complaints about fuel tanks collapsing on the 800s. I guess it has something to do with an air vent not working properly. You might do a search on it and see what you turn up.

·
Registered
139 Posts
I also have an 02 750... The low fuel sensor went bad. The shop said that it was a fairly common problem. Also my temp gauge was faulty. Both taken care of under warranty. Otherwise, the bike's been totally reliable.

One thing I've notices in this forum: there have been a number of complaints about fuel tanks collapsing on the 800s. I guess it has something to do with an air vent not working properly. You might do a search on it and see what you turn up.
You're low fuel sensor issue reminds me of another "issue" I had, if you can call it that. When I purchased the bike the low fuel light never worked. Giving the parts diagrams a once-over I realized I was missing a part simply called "hose"- the rubber bit on the inside of the fuel filler. Apparently it had fallen into the tank and had lodged underneath the float. Got it out with my set of Chinese Fingers and it's worked ever since.

Like I said, IF you can call it an issue.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I'll look into the air vent issue just to be familar with the symptoms of the problem, but it doesn't sound like the kind of problem that would stop me from getting this type of bike. Thanks for the replies guys.

·
I have a button.. BITCHES!
8,971 Posts
I have an 05 800ss. No problems what so ever. None. I've had it now for over a year and have put 8k miles on it to go with original owners 7k. I use it for twisty riding, commuting, and just plain zinging around. It's fun, reliable, and gets lots of long stares and questions wherever I stop. A good bike.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Have you considered a 900? You get the adjustable front suspension and a few other premium features. I have a '00 900SS and love it.

·
Registered
1,561 Posts
You might also consider an SS1000 DS, if you can find one - the best engine put into a Supersport, fully adjustable front fork plus an Ohlins rear shock.

OBTW, you will find a lot of differences (in a good way) compared to the ST. You will notice the weight reduction big-time in the twisties, plus the SS likes to be ridden through corners versus the point-and-shoot approach used on the ST.

·
Registered
1,802 Posts
You might also consider an SS1000 DS, if you can find one - the best engine put into a Supersport, fully adjustable front fork plus an Ohlins rear shock.

OBTW, you will find a lot of differences (in a good way) compared to the ST. You will notice the weight reduction big-time in the twisties, plus the SS likes to be ridden through corners versus the point-and-shoot approach used on the ST.
+1 to all of the above. For the 1000SS there is little cost addition compared to an 800.

·
Registered
998 Posts
adjustable suspension

I am building an ST2 custom, but it wasn't done for Daytona. I picked up a 95 900ss/cr, to ride a Daytona and till the St is done. The Crs a base model[I didn't know before] like the 800 seems to be. No adjustable forks, smaller rear rim, etc. etc.
I had an oil leak at the left fork tube, I put the ST forks on till I could rework the CR's. What a difference, a few adjustments and it was like night and day. Upgraded suspension is definitely something to consider when buying used, usually with no added cost if you shop around aand pick the right bike.
The 95 900 had 14500 miles on it when I got it, 18500 now, and it is really fun. I haven't bothered with it to much because of the work on the ST, and I will sell it next month probably[ST2CR is almost done]. Persodally, I don't like the look of the new SS fairings. A bit Bulbous it seems to me, but each to their own, makes the world go round.
Ss is quite a different animal than the St though, not better or worse, just very different.

·
Premium Member
731 Posts
I have an 06' 800ss with all the right 1000ss bits on her. Just posted to sell as stock - it pains me to do so.

I wonder if I can transplant the 1100? hmmm....

·
Registered
280 Posts
I have an 06 800SS. Only had one problem: The tank imploded due to a blocked vent line. My local dealer assessed it was due to the previous dealer's incorrect set up. Replaced at no charge under warranty. Otherwise it would be about 2k. Make sure you have this checked. Other than that, no problem with the bike at all.

·
Registered
20 Posts
I have an 06 800SS. Only had one problem: The tank imploded due to a blocked vent line. My local dealer assessed it was due to the previous dealer's incorrect set up. Replaced at no charge under warranty. Otherwise it would be about 2k. Make sure you have this checked. Other than that, no problem with the bike at all.
Wow, that seems like a pretty crappy thing to happen because of a blocked vent.

This has been a great thread for me as I am considering a SS.

·
Registered
65 Posts
Get a 900 just for the sound of the air cool motor I have a 01 (for sale) and a 999 the 900 sounds like a bike. I have had no problems and I ride out in remote areas by myself so reliability is king.

·
Registered
338 Posts
I own an 06 Canadian model and bought it with 3400km on it. The bike handles great, there were nver any issues and I would only do 3 things to her. Change out the ugly mirrors(done but find/make a plug for the turn signal holes), fit a nice set of pipes because these engines sound way to good to be quiet and last get a larger rear sproket. Most of us will never need to do 260km/h or 160miles but it sure would be a lot more fun with more low end grunt. Any bike has to be fun if you can pull the front end at will.

I am selling mine as I bought a Bimota and it is much the same, just older.

·
Registered
19 Posts
I've got an 05 1000DS. 28000km, headset bearings knackered, but nothing else gone wrong (service it as per the manual, oil changes at 5000km/3000miles. Awesome to ride, great for the road as they have a nice useable midrange.
They eat rear tyres though. My M3 lasted 3000km....

1 - 18 of 18 Posts