Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your bike HERE to be a part of this months Bike of the Month Challenge!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello Everyone, This is going to be a pretty lengthy post so I apologize in advance

As I said in the title I've been looking at/lusting after a Multistrada for the past year now,

First a little about my riding experience, Been riding since I was 16 so for ten years now give or take, I started on dirt, First 'street' bike I had was a 77 KZ1000 My father and I restored through out my senior year in high-school (still kicking my self for selling that bike) From that bike I eventually moved on to a Moto-Guzzi 1200S I owned for three years.. I took it on my first real road trips out to the Texas Hill Country and down around South Texas, ect ect. I put 12,000 miles on that bike- Relatively trouble free (The right cylinder head liked to eat valve cover gaskets for some reason and there was a ghost engine warning light that would come on randomly then the code would clear never left me stranded though, and I had some great mechanics behind me to help with all my questions), I eventually started to grow bored with it though and I was starting to miss the sound of an Inline 4 and I hadn't really been doing that many long range trips anymore. So I traded the Guzzi and ended up with a BMW K1200R talk about a BEAST, That bike was just raw and angry and I freaking loved it! Well.. Up until the Gearbox decided to implode. So off to the dealer it went and where it sat for 7 months, two of which was waiting for me to find a gearbox to source because as much as I loved the bike, I wasn't putting 4K into it when that's more then half of what I paid for it- So found a used gearbox, everything was SEEMINGLY good to go- got the bike back finally, about a mile down the road and Gearbox decides to do a Hand Grenade Impression, (cue the sound of silence and much cussing and swearing and wanting to kick the bike over)

I was fed up, I had been without a bike for nearly 8 months at that point, I was getting ancy- and like an idiot not really carefully considering ALL The options out that, I jumped on a brand new BMW R1200R (I'm a potential gluten for punishment but I also won't talk trash about a brand if I bought a bike USED and it has issues), at the time and still slightly now the R1200R will do EVERYTHING I ask of it and I've had zero issues with it and do most of the maintenance my self ect ect ect BUT, I now find myself at a cross road, I like the R1200R I really do, It's not the fastest but it doesn't have to be and it still cracks me up and makes me giggle like a school girl (especially with the Rapid Bike on there and the Remus Exhaust). Anyway, But I'm finding my self wanting a more.. Upright? Positioned bike like a GS or well obviously the Multistrada the bikes that are Sport, Tour and a little bit of national forest back-road capable as well. I test rode a GS it's okay I loved the seating position of it but i just can't.. Call me stupid but I just can't get behind a GS, I just can't do it- I've YET TO test ride a Multistrada but having sit on the 1260S and the previous 1200S in the show-rooms its seating position is just spot on for the GS, So if you're still with me.. Time for the Questions

*How is the fueling on this bike? Or rather how are the engines manners, I understand it's a good (talking RWHP) 20 Horsepower More and probably equally more Torque compared to my Boxer of course but one thing I do like about the Boxer is it can go from boring slow and well mannered around town to balls out on the freeway or popping wheelies if you so desire and turn the Traction Control Off

*How is the reliability so far on these bikes, Any major issues popping up? I'm not a High Mileage rider persay but I do like a piece of mind- I've heard the horror stories of Ducati's but those weren't owners and those were the same people who said my BMW and Guzzi should have both expoded (Well one of the BMW's did.. :laugh:)

*I've seen the Oil Change Intervals and Valve Check's are both higher then my bike actually- Apart from servicing the Desmo how easy is it to change your oil, Brake Fluid, as well as getting back into adjusting chains

*When it does go to the Dealership how are the Maintenance Costs vs BMW? More, around the same?

*Most Importantly, How are you finding the Comfort if you can compare riding this bike for a distance to say a Monster or a GS that would be appreciated

Thanks for your help and reading through this whole thing.

·
Registered
19 Posts
I am on my 8th season with my 2010 Multi S Touring, and still loving it.

I test rode the 2017 1260 Multi last yr, the riding / seating position is almost the same. I could ride for hrs and hrs without stopping. The only major issue ive had is the fuel level sensor.
The oil changes are fairly simple and easy. Ive never had to bleed the front brakes, only the rear when I switched the line from the ABS module to a standard set up, Its pretty hard to trail brake with ABS. Chain adjustments are super easy, 2 bolts and a spanner wrench, so no worries about alignment. I'm not sure what the valve service costs are for BMW, I did the 24000KM Desmo service, was 1250 Canadian.

Ive test ridden lots of other bikes, 2012 Diavel, 2011 Goldwing, Harley Vrod, Harley street glide, Kawi Verseys 1000,
2017 Monster 1100, 2017 Multi 1260, 2017 959 and plenty of other sportbikes.
I still love getting back on the old 2010 Multi 1200.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
4,268 Posts
First I'd suggest spending a couple hours running back through the multi forum... there are a lot of threads covering pretty much everything you're asking about... all good stuff.

*Engine manners - the DVT motors are pretty well mannered, compared to the Beemer: The Boxer is smoother at very low rpms, generally the Multi's like being over 2500-3k. You CAN ride lower than that, but you'll get vibes under throttle. The 1260 might be a bit better than the 1200 down there. Power wise IMO the stock 1200 Multi feels similar to a GS from 3k up to about 7500 or so... then the Multi takes off. If you get the bike tuned (Rexxer, Rapidbike, etc...) then it helps smooth out the low rpms as well as bringing the midrange performance up to where it should have been all along... might help at the top too but the bike was always pretty strong up there.

*Reliability - Comparable to other European brands (which is to say... not as good as Japanese bikes). There have been annoyances but no major issues with my 15 (in 40k miles). What most of the folks who complain about European bikes (who generally own Japanese bikes) fail to consider is that the high strung Japanese bikes aren't as reliable as the "standard Japanese Motorcycle" either.

*Service - Oil changes are pretty quick and painless, and service intervals are nice an long. Chain adjustment is super easy.

*When it does go to the Dealership how are the Maintenance Costs vs BMW? More, around the same? About the same (they're not cheap bikes, and maintenance isn't cheap on them either). 30kkm Desmo service is about $1200.

*Comfort - I've been on older GS's that were a LOT less comfortable than my Multi... the newer GS's (I rode a 16 GS for 1500 miles in 16) are about the same. I rode something like 12,000 miles in 3 weeks last year on the Multi (I'm 50) and didn't have any problems (last day of the trip was 900 miles/18 hours of saddle time... no discomfort). I DID buy an Air Hawk cover for the stock seat... which helped, most of us who put a lot of miles on the bike do something to adjust the seat to our needs.

·
Registered
65 Posts
I've owned a couple of GSs over the years, the most recently being a 2016. The wasserboxer is a great motor for most applications. Around town it is hard to beat. Really the only place it lacks is top end - once you get above 7K it starts running out of breath. I only had a brief test ride on a 1260, but just had the 9K service done on my '17 Multi which has full Termi system and race map. The difference between the boxer and the DVT is pretty significant. The DVT isn't nearly as smooth in the lower revs as the boxer, and with the GSw I could putter around at 3K and the motor didn't mind at all. The Duc 1200 likes to be higher in the rev range. By most accounts the 1260 is better down low than the 1200, but it still feels different (to me) than the way the boxer makes power. The boxer pulls hard from 0 and then tapers once you climb above 7K. My 1200 will jump where you're at about 4K, but really jumps when you go past 6K and will scare you as you close in on red line.

As far as maintenance costs, not that different from the GSw. BMW is valve adjust every 12K miles, Multi is 18K miles. Multi valve adjust is more expensive. I had some fork separation with my GSw and I wasn't happy with the way my dealer or BMW NA handled the recall. By contrast my Ducati dealer did the radiator hose recall *and* the Brembo master cylinder recall quickly. There are KTM guys still waiting on brake recalls. Part of that is due to dealer variation - there are good and bad ones for every brand.

Comfortwise, I had to put a custom seat on my GSw, change the windscreen, and add Clearwater lights to get it usable for me for longer trips. Oddly enough, the Multi, despite having less legroom, is more comfortable, and that is with stock seat and screen. Only mods I've done are top box (we ride 2-up a lot) and Skene P3 lights. Doesn't really need anything else. Headlight is good (my KTM is a hair better, the stock GS worse), and I can ride at night without extra lights up front.

I ended up trading my GSw for the KTM, as once I had the Multi in the garage I kinda found the BMW a tad boring. Plus the experience I had with the fork recall left a bad taste in my mouth (as did other past dealings). The 1290 motor in the KTM is spectacular - it basically reminds me of the boxer but it just doesn't run out of steam all the way to redline. The plan is to keep both as long as budget allows - the Multi is a different temprament than the KTM. We just did an overnight trip on the KTM, and have a 10-day trip planned for June. I'm thinking we might actually take the Multi as the wife says it is more comfortable and I kinda agree. We've put 9K+ on the Multi since getting it last Aug, looking forward to hopefully riding it well past 50K. We'll see how it goes...

Reactions: cavlino

·
Premium Member
4,268 Posts
Another note on comfort... the GS has much better wind protection so if you're a fan auf der Autobahn you'll find the GS quite a bit nicer to ride than the Multi (enough of a difference that I'd own a GS over a Multi if I was a 4-lane jockey). I ride all 2 lane and at those speeds (generally average 50mph over the course of a day) the windscreen isn't much of an issue... when I do have to ride slab for a while the buffeting gets to be almost as annoying as having to ride slab in the first place.

·
Registered
65 Posts
Another note on comfort... the GS has much better wind protection so if you're a fan auf der Autobahn you'll find the GS quite a bit nicer to ride than the Multi (enough of a difference that I'd own a GS over a Multi if I was a 4-lane jockey). I ride all 2 lane and at those speeds (generally average 50mph over the course of a day) the windscreen isn't much of an issue... when I do have to ride slab for a while the buffeting gets to be almost as annoying as having to ride slab in the first place.
fwiw I didn't find that to be the case. And in fact the Multi has a smoother air flow to my body/helmet than my GSw had. But depends on other factors (height, riding position, etc). The stock screen on the GSw was unusable to me, I switched to an Aeroflow that was better but I still preferred the Multi on freeway runs. I also haven't felt the need to changes seats (I bought a Corbin but don't use it) or screen. But plenty of guys don't like the seat or the screen so it comes down to individual preference and expectations. I'm not into the barn door thing, and I have ridden a fair number of naked bikes to that may skew my perception of "acceptable" ;)

·
Registered
658 Posts
I just picked up the 1260S and must say the DVT fueling is excellent, this bike is super smooth at 3500 RPMs and up. IMO, the Multistrada is one of the best all around bikes ever produced. It just does so many things well. I also had a 2012 MTS1200S with Ohlins.

I also have a KTM SDR 1290 and love that bike as well. The motor is amazing, but there is something special about a Ducati. It is more refined and when riding it especially on longer trips everything just feels right.

If you test ride ask them to set the front preload, many times it is all the way soft and throws off the balance of the bike.

Attachments

·
Registered
122 Posts
I just picked up the 1260S and must say the DVT fueling is excellent, this bike is super smooth at 3500 RPMs and up. IMO, the Multistrada is one of the best all around bikes ever produced. It just does so many things well. I also had a 2012 MTS1200S with Ohlins.

I also have a KTM SDR 1290 and love that bike as well. The motor is amazing, but there is something special about a Ducati. It is more refined and when riding it especially on longer trips everything just feels right.

If you test ride ask them to set the front preload, many times it is all the way soft and throws off the balance of the bike.
As a person very interested in the new 1260 I have two questions for you

1 I realise you would only just be running in the 1260, however can comment at this stage as to how the 1260 compares to the 1290 in bottom end and mid range performance ?? I have no doubt the 1290 would be stronger in the higher rpm

2 Are you noticing the lengthened wheel base in the tight twisty going, just how bad is it ??

·
1st Gen Hyper Hooligan
2,372 Posts
In short, dont do it.

1200 or BUSTTTTT

·
Registered
658 Posts
As a person very interested in the new 1260 I have two questions for you

1 I realise you would only just be running in the 1260, however can comment at this stage as to how the 1260 compares to the 1290 in bottom end and mid range performance ?? I have no doubt the 1290 would be stronger in the higher rpm

2 Are you noticing the lengthened wheel base in the tight twisty going, just how bad is it ??

The 1290 is a different beast, 162 HP and 98 ft lbs at the wheel, and about 460 lbs soaking wet. Also went +2 on rear sprocket. Few things can match the brutal torque of the Duke. Any motorcyclist should put riding a super duke 1290 with a full akra for full throttle pulls on their bucket list, it is exceptional.

I'm only at 700 miles on the 1260, still breaking it in per factory, so really haven't had a chance to get into it but I can say there is a large amount of torque and with that plus the DVT this is the first bike I've owned where I honestly don't feel the need to shorten the gearing. It is deceptively fast and the power feels more electric than the 1290, again limited experience so far. The revs don't climb as fast as the duke or the old 2012 multi but you can tell it is very fast in a different way and the motor will be something special once opened up fully. A guy on youtube who did a great test on the PP 1260 said it was on par with the SD1290GT. I believe Ducati changed the way they report HP so a few years ago the 1200 DVT dropped from 160 to 152. An Italian magazine has a dyno run on the 1260 on youtube and after converting from CV it looks to be about 153. My guess is once we see more dyno runs it will be in the mid 140s. Very nice!

I'm happy they relaxed the geometry, this for me is a touring bike first. Long trips with full luggage the 2012 MTS could get a little light in the front. Not enough miles to comment more than that but I understand why Ducati did it and I'm confident in their engineering. The Multistrada is the closest to a do it all bike that exists and it excels in many ways. My opinion of course

·
Premium Member
4,268 Posts
I'm happy they relaxed the geometry, this for me is a touring bike first. Long trips with full luggage the previous gen could get a little light in the front. Not enough miles to comment more than that but I understand why Ducati did it and I'm confident in their engineering. The Multistrada is the closest to a do it all bike that exists and it excels in many ways. My opinion of course
Yea I agree the 1200 does feel a bit light in the front with a full load of gear and a (decidedly not 165lb) rider aboard like me. Having said that... steering never felt vague even during sporty segments of tours (TotD fully loaded for instance).

IMO someone selling a stiffer dual rate rear spring would solve that problem without compromising ride quality.

I suspect the 1260 is an overall improvement over my beloved 1200... the nice power bump is all plus... and while it might not be quite as nimble - it'll likely be a bit better touring (so call it a wash if you're someone who does both).

Reactions: cavlino
1 - 11 of 11 Posts