Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
270 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well, I made the mistake of taking my wife to the Ducati dealer and she likes the Hyperstrada...
Does anyone have some experience with them?
We are looking at a 2016 and a leftover 2014, any real difference that I need to know about and is either one a better deal?

Thanks.

·
Registered
274 Posts
Had one on loan for two weeks while my 1100 Hyper was "in the shop". It was a nice bike. I really can't say anything negative about it. It would not be a suitable replacement for my 1100 Hyper or my 1200 Multi though.

·
North Carolina, USA
3,320 Posts
Well, I made the mistake of taking my wife to the Ducati dealer and she likes the Hyperstrada...

Thanks.
Don't know if I'd consider that a mistake. I'd love it if my wife wanted to ride, and even better if she wanted her own bike. That was the -only- good thing about my first wife :eek: , she was a good rider and a good riding partner...

Maybe count your blessings?

·
Registered
1,669 Posts
Whichever one you decide... Do it. Harrison and the guys at A&S will take care of you. I like that Monster 1200R that's sitting in there right now.

·
Registered
88 Posts
We are looking at a 2016 and a leftover 2014, any real difference that I need to know about and is either one a better deal?
You can go on the Ducati website, and use their "Compare bikes" feature.

In a nut shell, the newer versions use the 937cc "939" motor, while the older one is 821cc. The bigger motor puts out a little more HP and torque, but weighs a little more as well.

Comes down to how good a price you can get on one versus the other, and your preferences !

·
Registered
449 Posts
I just traded in my '13 Hyperstrada for my '16 Multi S. I liked the Hyper, it was a fun ride, but ultimately I had a couple issues. First, I grew to hate the seating position. One of the reviewers called it the "devil's barstool" and that's how I felt about it. Getting a better seat helped some, as I was no longer locked in, but frankly, I always felt like I was perched up high, sitting on my nuts. Obviously, your wife won't have that same issue.:grin2:

I also thought it was really let down by the non-adjustable forks. Too little damping compensated for by too much pre-load. It got nervous when riding at a good pace over less than perfect roads.

That said, it was fun as hell and a great commuter, especially once they recalled the early throttle mechanisms. Other than the recall, I had no issues with it. Just didn't work for me for long rides.

·
Registered
270 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Whichever one you decide... Do it. Harrison and the guys at A&S will take care of you. I like that Monster 1200R that's sitting in there right now.
We did talk to Harrison, but he lowballed my wife on her Pristine 2008 CBR600RR with 5k miles...:frown2: That said, we are also talking to ACE Motorsports in Concord, that's where the 2014 is at a much better price... We shall see.
When I bought my 2015 MTS1200, I went to Harrison first and could not make a deal... No trade and Cash in hand... I then tried ACE, same deal, finally went to GoodTimes and Stole it for $20,250 OTD (2015 MTS-Touring)

·
Registered
869 Posts
My time and experience is limited to a single day riding one. I rented one in LA and rode Angels Crest highway and Mulholland Drive.

I'm 5'7", 180lbs in gear and found the riding position a nice fit for my size.

I did find the bike a little gutless and I thought the suspension was a bit soft and a bit of a compromise, I touched down the pegs, many times, most of when I was not expecting it and not really pushing the bike, but with that said, I think they may have had the engine in urban mode and I didn't know enough about the bike to change the settings.

It was a fun day of riding, but I had no desire to go visit a dealership and find out more about the bike.

·
Registered
1,669 Posts
We did talk to Harrison, but he lowballed my wife on her Pristine 2008 CBR600RR with 5k miles...:frown2: That said, we are also talking to ACE Motorsports in Concord, that's where the 2014 is at a much better price... We shall see.
When I bought my 2015 MTS1200, I went to Harrison first and could not make a deal... No trade and Cash in hand... I then tried ACE, same deal, finally went to GoodTimes and Stole it for $20,250 OTD (2015 MTS-Touring)
I've dealt with both A&S and Ace (Augie), but have to admit... GoodTimes has been the dealer with the most agreeable prices of late (two of my friends bought their last Ducatis from GoodTimes because of this).

I may have to really consider GT next time...

·
Super Moderator
8,211 Posts
If your looking at the Hyperstrada, then I'd actually take a look at the scrambler aswell. Sure, it lacks some guts to the HS, but it's lighter and more basic unless your a skilled rider.

That said, the Hyperstrada is abit of a compromise, but a great bike. Most hym owners love the bikes, bit the HS is the one that leaves my coldest of the series.

To be honest, a used mts 1100 might be better allround. If you can live with the looks.

Reactions: oalvarez

·
Registered
164 Posts
What 'bout me, I don't like castrated things. HS could be a real cool bike if were not for the HM. Why they changed a fork to much cheaper? And made a suspension travel less? Other side, the lower seat the better for girls :)
When I got my Multi, I showed the HS to my wife. She said me to seat on it... She had looked on us and said: "Oh, no! It is not serious! Take this one!" and pointed on MTS.

·
Registered
174 Posts
Nice bike. I've been quite pleased with mine for the most part. Being 130 lbs and 5' 10" though is probably why I get along so well with the "soft" suspension.

Not sure why you are all displeased with the bike, I think it's a very good jack-of-all-trades while being a master of none. I've done everything from track days to 2500 mile 2 week long trips and it's been very reliable and generally well behaved the whole time.

·
Registered
982 Posts
They 821 is a terrific platform. I test rode a HYS 821 for a friend and loved it so much, I bought a Hyper SP. (I already owned an MTS 1200) It's that good. Most people aren't going to notice or care about the adjustable suspension; that's all spec sheet racing.

The 821 mill has plenty of punch on up to 100 mph or so, which all you really ever need. That's what makes it such a great bike. it's a revvy twin and has all the torque you'll need.

Seating is such a subjective thing - it all depends on the anatomy of the rider.

Go for it and report back.

Reactions: Crazybrother

·
Registered
270 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
So far my wife loves it and doesn't miss her CBR600 at all. I took it for a spin today to scrub in the tires...>:)
Oh yeah, it's a Hoot, I told my wife that i'll ride it for here until we get to the 600mile break in...:wink2:

1 - 20 of 24 Posts