Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hello everyone,

I currently have a 2008 Concours 14 and am looking for a stable mate and the Hyper looks like the one. I had been trying to decide between this and the Monster (both 2009 non S) and the Hyper keeps calling me :)

I have been reading old posts for the last few weeks getting some good information but I still have some questions:

-Does anyone else here have a similar sport-tour and has the Hyper been a good second bike with out much overlap? I never ride off road, I just want something lighter than the C14 to change up the pace on my daily commute and weekend rides.

-In comparing the Hyper to the Monster, most of the specs on Ducati's website are fairly close with the exception of the 22lb weight difference over the Monster. This doesn't make a negative for me, I was just curious where the Hyper is storing that extra weight.

I did try the search but came up dry, feel free to throw me a link to posts that might already cover my ??

Thanks for all the great information so far, hopefully I don't catch the mod bug that some of you have...my wife would kill me :)

Tom

Ohio

·
Registered
1,310 Posts
bike choice

I took a look at the Tech Specs listed on the Ducati website and compared the 1100/Evo and 1100S/Evo Sp models (Monster vs Hyper) and the weights are roughly equal around 377lbs. So, I am not sure what you were looking that yielded a 22lb difference.

There are a few posts on the site that talk at length about comparing the Monster vs the Hyper. Essentially, the bikes are quite similar. The biggest difference is going to be the ergonomics. The Monster is going to pitch you a bit more forward (sport bike style) vs the Hyper that is more upright (dirt bike style). After that, its pretty much cosmetics and which bike attracts you more and what you want to do with them.

http://www.ducati.ms/forums/showthread.php?p=214365

If you are interested in a Hyper, I have mine listed in the classifieds section. It has low miles and the Termi 2-1 is installed. I am looking to get a lower-cost track prepped sport bike as I have been bitten by the track bug and the flat straight roads in my area are not what the Hyper is all about.

·
Registered
3,070 Posts
i am certain you will have many replies to your inquiry ... ultimately, best answer is for you to test ride both the hyper and the monster, and come to the decision yourself.

and best of luck with not getting the mod bug if you decide to buy a ducati :rolleyes:

Hello everyone,

I currently have a 2008 Concours 14 and am looking for a stable mate and the Hyper looks like the one. I had been trying to decide between this and the Monster (both 2008 non S) and the Hyper keeps calling me :)

I have been reading old posts for the last few weeks getting some good information but I still have some questions:

-Is anyone else here have a similar sport-tour and has the Hyper been a good second bike with out much overlap? I never ride off road, I just want something lighter than the C14 to change up the pace on my daily commute and weekend rides.

-In comparing the Hyper to the Monster, most of the specs on Ducati's website are fairly close with the exception of the 22lb weight difference over the Monster. This doesn't make a negative for me, I was just curious where the Hyper is storing that extra weight.

I did try the search but came up dry, feel free to throw me a link to posts that might already cover my ??

Thanks for all the great information so far, hopefully I don't catch the mod bug that some of you have...my wife would kill me :)

Tom

Ohio

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the quick replys. On the Ducati website I was comparing the 2009 models ( I put 2008 in my post which I will change). I also found an article that seems to account for about 8lbs of the weight due to the way the engine is cast between the two models.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Go for the HM1100S

Tom,

I just traded my M696 for an '08 Hyper. I managed to get about 330 mi. of riding before the weather turned sour. I find it more comfortable and sitting position is definitely a plus. I purchased an 1100S, but it's pretty much stock as of now. I am in Cincinnati if you want to talk further.

SS65

·
Registered
1,310 Posts
2010 hypers

Thanks for the quick replys. On the Ducati website I was comparing the 2009 models ( I put 2008 in my post which I will change). I also found an article that seems to account for about 8lbs of the weight due to the way the engine is cast between the two models.
The 2010 Hypers now share the same vacuum cast process. The 2010 Hypers are around 14lbs lighter than the 2008 and 2009 models. HP is up a bit (5hp) as well.

·
Registered
403 Posts
I have an 08 S model (modded with termi 2-1, speedymoto open clutch bling, race tech 25 mm fork cartridges, Scotts steering damper, Evoluzione clutch slave cylinder, carbon hugger (damn, I didn't know I spent so much on her!), and this thing is the most fun motorcyle I have ever owned! You will laugh every time you take her out. Get the hyper and live!

·
Premium Member
713 Posts
buy the hyper. i have a sport tourer and a crotch rocket and still wanted something different for the days i just wanted to have fun without pressure. after a lot of searching and test rides i got the hyper and couldn't be happier. this bike should be outlawed it's so fun. there are simular bikes with the same or better performance but none have the looks and character of the Duc.

·
Registered
78 Posts
The Hyper is just stupid fun! I have not ridden a Monster but have had an ST4s and a 916. The Hyper is the most zippy and is kinda spastic, I love it! It's like a motor with handlebars. I'm 5'4" short and 130 lb and I have no problem wheeling it around - it's light and what weight it does have, it wears it well. To wheel the bike around I do get off since my toes barely touch :D My boyfriend's Multistrada feels like a tank compared to the Hyper. Due to a neck injury I needed upright and fun to ride with some height and weight limitations - a very tough bill to fit - then the Hyper came out!!

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Good info.

Thanks for all the replies.
I have also been in contact with Revelstoker for some education about the Termi upgrades he did to his Hyper (Thanks again!).

·
Registered
225 Posts
Test rode both the Hyper and the Monster S2R a year ago. Wound up with the Monster. One year later I traded the in Monster and here I am with a Hyper. The Hyper isn't my only bike, (obviously, look at my signature). If I were to have only one bike, I might consider the Multistrada. However, because I can have a few bikes, I do and the Hyper is what I gravitate toward any time I want to just go. It is so much more fun than the Monster.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts