Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your bike HERE to be a part of this months Bike of the Month Challenge!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hey everyone,

For the last couple of years I've really been itching to ride again. I haven't truly ridden a bike in about 6 years and each year I miss it more and more. I've been a long time Yamaha fan, had a couple R1's, had a couple R6's I raced, one I built up and it held it's own even in the Open super bike classes. I have a 1098 that is almost rideable (been building it from the ground up for the past 7 years) but realistically it's more of a fun project bike I don't see myself riding a ton.

I've had my eye on another R6, personally I really love the new body style that's been around the last couple of years. Then there's the hypermotard, I've never ridden one but have had a couple friends own them that absolutely loved them. Just looking for a fun bike that I could ride frequently, wouldn't be a daily driver.

Obviously it's a whole different animal than a sportbike but man they look so fun! And for cruising around town or quick ride to find some twisties it "looks" like it'd be perfect for that. Probably a little more comfortable as well, although sport bikes never bothered me.

What do you guys think? I figured I'd have the 1098 for when I feel like really wanting to open it up but for the majority of the time the hyper seems like a jack of all trades. I'd say I'm at least a couple months away from pulling the trigger on something so just gathering some info for now :)

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Per the website MotoCorsa in portland has 3 used Hypers go do a test ride.
that would be the obvious thing to do :) I have a couple of nuts and bolts I ordered from them I have to go pick up, I'll have to plan it for a sunny day.

·
Registered
1,374 Posts
You owe it to yourself to try one of the original air-cooled 1100's that someone has done the forks, pod filters, and exhaust. The market on these is soft and they are stupid fun bikes!

t_bare

Reactions: jmbkc

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
You owe it to yourself to try one of the original air-cooled 1100's that someone has done the forks, pod filters, and exhaust. The market on these is soft and they are stupid fun bikes!

t_bare
Thanks for the tip! I'll keep an eye out for a setup like that in my area and see if anything pops up I can check out.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Hypers rock. Have a 821 and I love it. Would love an older air cooled one, but not going to find one around here...

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Hypers rock. Have a 821 and I love it. Would love an older air cooled one, but not going to find one around here...
Stopped by the dealer today to pick up some bolts and checked out a Hyper for the first time, they only had an employees 2018 available to check out but man they look so fun! I was surprised how high they sit, I'm 6' and both toes were touch the ground but neither were flat.

They will have their first 950 SP showing up this weekend or next week, annnnnnd I may have put a deposit down on it :|
It's fully refundable so figured what the heck, will give me something to really look at more when it comes in with the full option to simply walk away if I decide to keep looking for a used/past model...although those new 950's looks pretty sweet to me.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Stopped by the dealer today to pick up some bolts and checked out a Hyper for the first time, they only had an employees 2018 available to check out but man they look so fun! I was surprised how high they sit, I'm 6' and both toes were touch the ground but neither were flat.

They will have their first 950 SP showing up this weekend or next week, annnnnnd I may have put a deposit down on it :|
It's fully refundable so figured what the heck, will give me something to really look at more when it comes in with the full option to simply walk away if I decide to keep looking for a used/past model...although those new 950's looks pretty sweet to me.
I'm around 1.8m (about 5'11"?), so a touch shorter than you are, but I don't have any problems with the 821. Originally I was nervous after I got the bike, but soon realised that it depends on where you sit on the seat. If I sit back, as I used to when our now 7-year old was sat in front of me I could only get my toes down, but otherwise I can get both feet down properly most of the time. Not 100% flat, but quite OK. Stopping on a sloped surface I often end up with one foot on tiptoe, or not touching at all, but it's not a big deal.

Not sure whether the 950 is taller of not and as far as I know the SPs are generally a little bit taller. There is some flexibility with third party seats, or you can have a seat custom made if it's a real issue for you, but from my experience over the last 3 or so year it's not an issue.

Take care and enjoy!!

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I'm around 1.8m (about 5'11"?), so a touch shorter than you are, but I don't have any problems with the 821. Originally I was nervous after I got the bike, but soon realised that it depends on where you sit on the seat. If I sit back, as I used to when our now 7-year old was sat in front of me I could only get my toes down, but otherwise I can get both feet down properly most of the time. Not 100% flat, but quite OK. Stopping on a sloped surface I often end up with one foot on tiptoe, or not touching at all, but it's not a big deal.

Not sure whether the 950 is taller of not and as far as I know the SPs are generally a little bit taller. There is some flexibility with third party seats, or you can have a seat custom made if it's a real issue for you, but from my experience over the last 3 or so year it's not an issue.

Take care and enjoy!!
Thanks, yeah it definitely wasn't uncomfortably high, I guess I'm just used to sport bikes where everything about the stance and positions is different haha. and I don't come from any type of MX background so just not used to it :) Both my feet COULD touch, just not both flat feet at the same time. However, I do recall in one youtube review that one of the guys said that even though the new SP sits a little higher the seat has been redesigned to where it feels lower due to the seat being narrower or something like that.

Reactions: Gandalf
1 - 9 of 9 Posts