Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Greetings, this is my first ST forum specific post since joining the collected wisdom around here, after buying
"EMS Ducati" founder Mike's '99 ST4. I am really enjoying the bike a great deal but decided early on I wanted the hard cases and bought a set of some "new old stock" cases & brackets in the wrong colors and with mismatched locks.

I have looked multiple times thru the archives and think I found a link for the OEM manual write up on the panier install and it gets somewhat confusing to get a clear understanding of the task. I sourced some stainless socket head cap screws at my local hardware store and they seem to work reasonably well, but don't match the shorter, or tapered head styles shown in the OEM doc. I didn't have to cut any lengths yet but the specified 40mm length for the exhaust hangers seems to be approx. 1/2" too long on the right side can. I haven't torqued the left side bracket yet, and just snugging it down seems to suck in the bottom bracket tube and is no longer plumb to the eye. The right side looks fine, even without a spacer...
It looks like I need to find or fab myself the noted spacer but I don't see any mention of the thickness. I also wonder why no mention of flat washers used on the two upper bracket screws since the bracket holes are slotted? I also wonder why no suggestion of any Loctite, other than maybe some of you cycle between removing the bags and using the bags only occasionally.

So, anybody have a solid understanding to set me straight here?

And TIA - Thanks In Advance!

Mitch

·
Registered
1,239 Posts
Not sure I have a solid understanding of anything...but spacer is around 10 mm thick and goes on the LH side. I always use Loctite.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks Johnny, I'll try finding something I can quickly cobble together and give it a shot. and probably resort to some Blue thread locker on the Bag Brackets once I'm comfortable they are in their proper place.

Mitch

·
Registered
1,239 Posts
Yep I use blue, dealer said it is a must.

·
Registered
523 Posts
Better check the valve clearances on the bike! :LOL::LOL::LOL:

·
Registered
758 Posts
There's more info a couple of topics down that I started a couple weeks ago...FWIW

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks mz, I did filter thru several previous posts for any thing related. At this point I've got the bags mounted and everything looks aligned fairly well, I only needed to go back to Ace HDW for one shorter (25mm) cap screw to replace the 40mm on the right. side exh hanger. The left bag mounted reasonably smoothly although I seem to recall someone in a old post mentioning there should be some small spacers on the 2 upper bag bracket mounts, but not the lower mount?
I got a buddy that runs a local CNC shop cut off a 10mm long piece of some round alum bar stock for the left exh hanger spacer. Everything looks straight and a good fit - the right side looks to have ample spacing for swingarm travel, but the left side looks to have less so I plan to get one of my large friends to sit on the bike and compress the rear for a closer look.
Otherwise all the bracket hardware is torqued and treated with Loctite blue except the pillon peg hanger brackets, which I loosened up during the install and I just need to go find the proper value for.
I've got a local paint supply store mixing the red paint (he's been working on that for almost 2 weeks!) so I will be riding with topless bags for a while I guess, which is so much better than one silver bag and the other yellow!
Last on the list is the bag locks, I didn't find much in the archives but both are keyed differently so I'm searching the Sacramento area for an experienced locksmith to help match.

Mitch

1 - 7 of 7 Posts