Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Premium Member
75 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm wrapping up my winter maintenance (since the ski resorts are closed). I'm seeing some strange torque settings in the workshop manual for my ST3s. First, I flushed the brakes and was tightening the bleed screws. In the manual it shows:
under - Front brake
Front/rear brake bleed fitting
M10x1
23 Nm

That can't be right. The front brake bleed screws are probably M6 and the rear is probably M8. But I don't see anything else. So I went 10 Nm.

Second, I installed a Throttle Tamer. For the bar end weight I found:
under - Handlebars - Clutch control
Counterweight screw
M8x1.25
23 Nm

I torqued it down to 17 Nm and don't see how I can get to 23 Nm. It feels like something is going to yield. I have a new CDI torque wrench in this range that came with the certificate of calibration. And the 10 Nm for the bleed screws and the throttle twistgrip retaining bolt felt about right. I also checked the counterweight screw with another CDI torque wrench with a slightly higher (but overlapping) range and am seeing the same thing.

Any thoughts would be appreciated.

·
Just Visiting Your Planet
9,267 Posts
Re bleeder screws: tighten until it seats and then a snug more. They are basically needle valves. Overtightening is bad.

No idea about the throttle tamer.

·
Super Moderator
4,963 Posts
IMHO, use the torque wrench for the critical fasteners. A bar-end weight? Snug it up. If it falls off you won't crash (although you may scare the s*%t out of the person following you).
:giggle:

1 - 3 of 3 Posts