Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
709 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm getting ready to put fresh Carrillo rods on my SS crank. I just want to know if "stock bearings" are the norm in this case [it is a race only motor], or does anyone make better shells. I don't have a problem with Ducati's bearings, I just want to put the best in first time around [read: reliability]
After last racing season, the stock bearings on the original rods are scuffed a bit [these were the factory installed con rods and bearings]

The crank/connecting rod journal is in spec. and looks good, so it's not an undersize issue.

any special tips would be appreciated, this is my first go-round with rod installation.

Also, is anyone familiar with performance engine's process of impregnating the bearing halves with dry film lubricant? Good idea? bad? Indifferent?

www.performancecoatings.com [internal coatings]

thanks, Sean

·
Registered
1,751 Posts
didn't the new rods come with bearing shells?....I would assume a high end rod manufacturer would include new special shells if required or heavily notate the need for them if that was the case that other than stock should be used......so if you have stock shells....then use them and don't worry...otherwise I'd wonder.....

·
Registered
1,751 Posts
also would highly reccomend using assembly lube when putting that all back together....and the old bearing shells (which I really hope you are not considering doing anything other than pitching them in the trash) shouldn't be really scuffed....sounds like you might have had a starvation issue at one point that maybe scorched and damaged a bearing shell or few maybe.....and I also assume you are putting in new main bearings as well and if this particular crank uses thrust spacer washers like some car crankshafts use...then use new ones of those also!......for 2 reasons and neither is just to spend money....1...you are in there...do it once and do it right so you don't have to go back because you half assed it....and 2....piece of mind...if you had all that work done to the crank and you want it to last...then why sit back and wonder what if at the sign of a 1st problem down the road....

·
Registered
709 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I pulled the old main bearings, and the tranny output shaft bearing yesterday, and have new ones ready to go in.

I am going to order new con rod bearing shells tomorrow. I am also going to re-calculate main bearing pre-load, and endfloat for the tranny components. Shim it all to spec. and everything should be cool after that.

·
Registered
241 Posts
To answer you question why Carillo doesn't supply bearing shells......

The big end of all rods maintain the same inner diameter.
Now the crank journal can be one of three different outside diameters.
The reason Ducati makes a red and blue bearing shells is the overall thickness of the shell itself. The colors determine thickness of each shell half. Another words, depending on the crank journals outer diameter, you could use all red shells or all blue shells, or even a combination of a red and a blue shells.

Cranks are marked A&B if I'm not mistaken, while the rods have a dab of paint to note the color of the shells used during assembly

I can't see the guys at Carillo making this call at all.

All I do is to coat or soak the shells in motor oil before and during the assembly process. Molly or other super slick pastes can inhibit ring seating. Lithium grease works well for the cams and won't prevent ring seating.

·
Registered
920 Posts
This looks like a decent thread to resurrect! My 900SSie motor started oil light started blinking at idle and got steadily worse as I went through the diagnostics to eliminate the usual suspects - the bearings are dead. I've been nosing around trying to find info on the bearings and I have one question that I haven't managed to answer yet. Does anybody know if there has been any changes over the years, as in improvements?

A second question, are all the bearings the same for Superbikes and Supersport?

·
Registered
3,977 Posts
only bearings i know of are oem. all big engines use the same bearings, updated part numbers follow through with the red or blue shells. usually need two blues for correct clearance.

·
Registered
920 Posts
Thanks Brad, any idea of the latest pt. no. and what the differences/changes are over the years. I've seen some stuff being changed at work due to environmental legislation and the replacement stuff has been inferior. Wondered if anything happened like that to motorcycle parts.:frown2:

1 - 10 of 10 Posts