Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Excel Addict
2001 900SSie
5,345 Posts
Which model and why?

Even though i had a good 15M, i went down the MyEcu (My15M) route. It seems to be well accepted in the Guzzi community, but i think this is due to it being developed by a Guzzi owner, Cliff Jefferies, and they share a lot of info about maps etc. on this site.
http://www.v11lemans.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=13803

I found a few Duc owners who were using it who are still developing their maps. Even though it gives you great control over mapping, the availability of decent maps to start from was limited. I gave up in the end as it was consuming too many hours and went down the Tuneboy route, which for me was much easier to use. It also offers closed loop operation if you fit a O2 sensor and you can do logging of all parameters via hyperterminal. I.e. laptop strapped to the back of the bike.

I developed some spreadsheets to extract the text lines from the software so i could look at numbers in individual cells in Excel. Editing is either direct to the ECU or via a text file on your computer. I also did an Excel workbook so i could look at numbers, manipulate them etc., rather than work with lines of text.

Before anyone asks for it, I sent it to arnego2 as his 15M had a slight problem and Duc support etc. is pretty slim where he lives, so it is a good solution for him.

You will need to factor in either dyno time or a wideband oxygen sensor and butt dyno to assist with developing your map.

It is not a bad product, i simply could not afford to spend any more time playing with it. Tuneboy on the other hand uses my Marelli 15M and can start from the stock map that is in it. Mine has been on the dyno at Tuneboy, so the map was modified to suit my setup/mods.

Richard

·
Registered
40 Posts
what about power commander 3? it costs 300€ (around 420$) it's programmable by usb, and can suit to our SS ; ) in italy it's very popular (actually there aren't lot's of programmable ecu :D)

·
Registered
40 Posts
the power commander fits to all ducati ss 750 900 with fuel inj, and they do a kit with powerjet for the carburator SS before 1999.

·
Registered
112 Posts
Pc3

Hello there
I had/or still have on but not installed anymore as the PC3 does give you more power it is something which as some problem as the ecu and the PC3 fight more or least who does the time calculate of the i.e. I think my did work Ok for about a year and not I think it is done.

regards
Arnego2

·
Registered
338 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
the power commander fits to all ducati ss 750 900 with fuel inj, and they do a kit with powerjet for the carburator SS before 1999.
The reply from the Tech support guy: "Unfortunately we have never seen this bike (note it is for my 93 Bimota DB2 which has a 900SS motor and I told them that.) to know what unit might work for you. If it uses the same injectors as most Ducati’s then part #716-411 should work but we can’t say for sure."

I will need to look at an SS that has fuel injection or any other Ducati to see if those injectors are the same as my injectors. Might be worth the while to just get new injectors.

·
Excel Addict
2001 900SSie
5,345 Posts
900SSie injectors

These use the "green top" Weber injectors. Spec sheet attached.

The colour is the plastic piece where the cables connect.

Richard

Attachments

·
Excel Addict
2001 900SSie
5,345 Posts
Engine/controller

After or PM exchange, I have done some more digging around. Given the year of your DB2 it is going to be the 900IE which used the Marelli P7 ECU. My book states this ECU is virtually identical to the 907 that came out a bit later, but had a different EPROM.

Check this site for details on the MyEcu option for the P7 http://www.cajinnovations.com/MyECU/index.htm

If you go down this route, with its more modern electronics etc. reading the Guzzi link I posted earlier is a must, as there is a goldmine of info on that site.

Here is some more info on Weber ECUs http://www.sigmaperformance.com/weber.html

There is a guy in Switzerland who has the 900ie (Cagiva Elefant) engine and MyEcu that I have an email address for.

Richard

·
Registered
338 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Looked at the link for the injector and was amazed at how much it looks like the injectors from my truck. A 93 Mazda B2600i with the injector below, even the same size. I just replaced them as a few were leaking, so I had one to take a photo of. I will look up all the info you posted.

·
Registered
112 Posts
Hi all
I think most of my electrical problems have been caused by the old battery. The bike starts now and the PC seems to give a fatter mixture, although I still have to see if the PC is able to make it fat enough for my liking. 900's 40mm headers seem to change or leaning out the gas mixture. I plan to cone the mufflers and before that I think it would be better to have some software in place to feather the effect.

regards
Arnego2

1 - 11 of 11 Posts