Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
P

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Okay I had this question spinning in my head for a while. What should the front and rear preload, compression, damping set to a rider 170-180 pounds for aggresive street riding/track? Currently riding 1999, 996 that's has Showa mounted. While I'm at it, what is the difference between Showa and Ohlins?

Thanks.
Keith

·
Super Moderator
8,215 Posts
Powercruise said:
Okay I had this question spinning in my head for a while.

What should the front and rear preload, compression, damping set to a rider 170-180 pounds for aggresive street riding/track?
Currently riding 1999, 996 that's has Showa mounted.

While I'm at it, what is the difference between Showa and Ohlins?

Thanks.
Keith
I run my bike much like the "Track use" recommendations from Ducati, found here. http://www.ducati.com/bikes/service.jhtml?part=archive&service=detail&detailId=14
ROAD (TRACK)
Without Rider / With Rider
Front 30 mm (25 mm) / 45-50 mm (35 mm)
Rear 10 mm (5 mm) / 40 mm (30 mm)

Compression- and rebound damping should be "In the middle" to start with.. if you have 20 clicks from Max to Min, then run at 10 clicks to start with and adjust according to situation.

I run a little more compression front (1 click in) and a little less rebound rear (2 clicks out). Also a little more "sag" rear, since i have a pretty hard spring and and I´ve raised the rear abit (15mm)..

Here is Ducati´s word on the chassie setup aswell.
http://www.ducati.com/bikes/service.jhtml?part=archive&service=detail&detailId=20

Showa make good suspension´s, don´t get me wrong, but there is a reason why all MotoGP and WSBK teams (except Honda) use Öhlins suspensions. They are simply the best at what they make.

Will a "normal" rider feel a diffrence? I sure as h*ll did! It was night and day! Both Front, rear and steering dampers are just.. better.. I felt like alot more information was being fed back through the bars, seat and chassie.

EDIT: But NCRick is DA MAN when it comes to this stuff.. Besides.. I live in Sweden and Öhlins is Made here.. i can´t very well go around saying anything but "Öhlins rules!" :cool:

S

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
Keith, I think the biggest difference between Ohlins and Showa is that Showa is a price pointed OEM supplier and Ohlins is a racing suspension company. Showa has to produce forks and shocks at a price that a motorcycle company can make a profit using it's product. Showa makes good product at a great price. Ohlins makes awesome product at a premium price. Yes, Ohlins does supply some OEM suspension but only on Top Shelf bikes at a premium price.
The engineering in the Ohlins units is what makes the difference. Take for example a fork cap on a fork. The Showa is cast and the Ohlins is billet. Overall the attention to detail is far greater in the Ohlins. The pistons and valving internally is engineered with much more research and development than showa. I guess I could go on but in short it's just made better because they don't have to cut corners like many suppliers

·
Registered
722 Posts
Keith, That is an outstanding question! I have serviced numerous Showa and Ohlins/Penske shocks and looking at the inside components shows a remarkably similar technology. Showa make very good suspension components so the reason the higher end products work better is mostly down to the specifics of valving and port configurations. There are differences in the seal heads and the sliding bushings as well as in the adjustment configurations (needles seats and back flow configuration. There are better showas and I think the higher end Showa that came on some of the “S” bikes were fairly good. Getting into the Ohlins and the Penske shocks, the cost of manufacture was not as much an issue and often times; bikes with those components were sprung and valved for the rider specifically. The custom set up suspension is where a fair portion of the performance comes from. I think Showa purposely “dumbs down” some of their components to create levels of price verses performance levels. I also suspect that Honda gets the best stuff. That is just my opinion! Some of the Show Honda dirt bike forks are like jewelry, very nice pieces with 25mm valves and the works.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts