Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
576 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just to finish this off, and not cast any bad light on my new ST3s.

The only reason I couldn't adjust the screw was the size of my screwdriver head. It was just a bit too wide, and must have been catching. Anyway all is well.

I set it to 11 clicks out for both compression and rebound damping. The manual calls for 12 for compression and 11 for rebound, the Sport Rider settings are from a '99 ST4s and they call for 10 of rebound and 2 of compression.

What are people running up front?

Joe

·
Registered
105 Posts
jneglia said:
Just to finish this off, and not cast any bad light on my new ST3s.

I set it to 11 clicks out for both compression and rebound damping. The manual calls for 12 for compression and 11 for rebound, the Sport Rider settings are from a '99 ST4s and they call for 10 of rebound and 2 of compression.

What are people running up front?

Joe
Can't remember now..about that I think...

I just took the bike out to the local twisties and tried a few variations until I got the combination that felt best. I don't ride 2-up so I just keep it where it works best for me....

whoo hooo... noticed my centre stand is kinda ground down on the left hand side for some reason...

Doc
;)

·
Registered
406 Posts
ST4 Dampening Settings

I couldn't find a '99 ST4s :crazy: I didn't think they made one. So I built one myself!

I gave up on stock settings after some serious head shake across some tracks one day. So I opted for a Gold Valve kit and some springs, so this may not apply to you. However, I'm running 5 out on compression and 7 out on rebound. Some listers have said with the Racetech setup more than 3 clicks out offers no further adjustment anyway?? I'm still tinkering...

Then, after switching to Marvic magnesiums (Penta 1's), the bike is now suspended something like a racer, so I've backed off 3 more clicks on compression (8 total), but have not had full time to test. I found that with less unsprung weight, the suspension sets were stiff, not harsh, but a bit stiff.

I don't remember my preload settings, but I get the correct amount of sag, so I have left that setting alone. I ride mostly one up. And mostly loaded with gear.

Attachments

·
Chilehead
6,982 Posts
What springs and oil weight are you using, and which compression stack in the gold valves?

My ST2 had forged magnesium Marchesinis, which are lighter than you wheels, 0.90kg springs and a 34c stack (as I recall) with 5W oil. I am running 0 or 1 clicks on compression, and am considering increasing the stack or going to heavier oil, as I would like a bit more damping.

Tom

·
Site Sponsor & Senior Member
193 Posts
Pazzoduc,
beautifull hot rod!
nice work!,
is that a throttle mister?

·
Registered
406 Posts
Compression Damping - Gold Valves

Well, you guys are certainly testing my feeble memory. A few years back, my next door nieghbor was the Tucker Rocky regional rep. He gave me the gold valve kit and I/racetech selected the springs. I want to say they were .91? Anyways... i'm 165 lbs plus gear. When the work was done, the kit came with a code # that allowed access to the racetech website. On the site you entered your data and it selected the stack and settings for you. That is all I can remember of the details. It's been a while. And honestly, I didn't look over the shops shoulder to see if they actually did what they were supposed to.
But what I can tell you: WOW what a difference from stock! The bike was entirely different from that point on.

As for the springs: My sag is correct with and without gear. I think that is the key to spring rate. I may try a lighter oil if the clicks don't have an affect.

Now my riding has changed a bit too. I don't make weekend rides much, when I do get to go it's usually for 2-3k miles at a time. And I seem to be leaning toward a softer compression rate. But again, I have read posts that claimed more than 3 clicks out with a racetech set-up gives no more compliance. Just more clicks for your noggin.

·
Registered
406 Posts
Rear Damping

Oh yeah, one more thing: I have gone to an ohlins rear unit, at the same time as the wheel upgrade. The rear is now VERY TAME, but stiff like the front. And the Ohlins unit was ordered specifically for my weight and gear. I'd say it is very similar to the behavior of the front, so i belive both are probly set correctly. I think this bike would handle better on a track than most anyother sport bike. Aside from the sidestand and muffler clearance, it would smoke 'em all if only I were a better rider!

Hey acpdx; Yes it's a throttle miester. That and about 8k worh of other stuff. Send me a note if your interested in the list. Or I'll post if you like.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts