Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Vote for the Site Favourite BOTM winner for the year of 2022 HERE!

Completed my 950S break-in!

1304 Views 3 Replies 3 Participants Last post by  detansinn
Over the past month, I have been diligently following Ducati's recommended break-in procedures. Long backroads rides with lots of load changes to get all of the parts familiar with one another. Now, I'm ready to get this first service done and start fully opening it up.

Automotive design Motor vehicle Automotive exterior Automotive lighting Automotive tire
Reactions: DaveNZ
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

· Registered
204 Posts
Technically you're not broken in yet, IMO. Might want to add another 500mi. I'll offer you real out in the field research. Bought 4 of the same model bike and they were 2006/'08/'013/'017> currently. 2 were hard broken in from day one. Both used oil before their 3k oil change intervals. 2 were broken in by the book.

First round is under 4k rpm for 600mi. Round 2 called for up to 6k rpm till 1000mi. Then it is considered broken in. We basically have the same rpm range. That was book procedure and I followed that with the other 2. The '017 is holding steady at the sight window. I never came close to 4k/6k in that time. I'd break it in riding steep canyons with the load and lift happening for ring seal, just like you were doing.

But then again, it's your bike.

Signed,
NOLTT (no one listens to turtle)

· Registered
Ducati Supersport 950S
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I was in your spot a few months back. Pro Tip: Keep your foot cocked under the shifter when you pin it. You won't be able to move your foot there at full throttle :p
I'm looking forward to making the most of the quickshifter.
Technically you're not broken in yet, IMO. Might want to add another 500mi. I'll offer you real out in the field research. Bought 4 of the same model bike and they were 2006/'08/'013/'017> currently. 2 were hard broken in from day one. Both used oil before their 3k oil change intervals. 2 were broken in by the book.

First round is under 4k rpm for 600mi. Round 2 called for up to 6k rpm till 1000mi. Then it is considered broken in. We basically have the same rpm range. That was book procedure and I followed that with the other 2. The '017 is holding steady at the sight window. I never came close to 4k/6k in that time. I'd break it in riding steep canyons with the load and lift happening for ring seal, just like you were doing.

But then again, it's your bike.

Signed,
NOLTT (no one listens to turtle)
Thanks. I was planning on easing into it as I have with other Ducs that I have owned. 👍

1 - 4 of 4 Posts