Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your bike HERE to be a part of this months Bike of the Month Challenge!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1,323 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Bike is completely dismantled, but for the mill which is intact since it ran like a demon when removed from frame. With some other distractions now tabled, this much-anticipated build up now gains steam..

The downlow on this Clean frame-up rebuilding of a 996 - I'm way too attached emotionally to this bike as she was my Bangkok weapon. Very pretty forged wheels, swingarm, chassis & suspension components now having had their heavy layers of Bangkok schmutz removed, headstock tube w/ fasteners & bearings cleaned, greased & reinstalled. Patience has paid off, as its been so easy to do this drudgery while the bike is completely dismantled! So am now prepping the mill for insertion into frame!

..so first up is checking/adjusting the valve clearances. Last night I removed the duct tape shipping protection from the intake ports for inspection & easier breathing as engine is turned to TDC, lo and behold, I notice this tarry-looking, but dry detritus on the port side of the valves. Since its not in the combustion chamber, and these are intake valves, I assume its from bad fuel deposits condensing on the hot valves.. and no big deal. What say ye who have opened up engines enough to have seen it all? I'm not worried enough to stop the process, but would love to hear learned opinions.

Reactions: Sherpa23F

·
Registered
3,979 Posts
A tune is in order and that not something a valve adjustment will clear up. I first saw deposits like that on my 748, Haruko-Chan. The deposits were eliminated after changing the OEM EEPROM for a UM191. (maybe another number, I don't recall).

What mods are on the bike? And are you running an aftermarket EEPROM/ECU?

·
Registered
1,323 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I don't remember actually, as I've not opened up the ECU to look for an eprom on this bike since I bought it around 2012 and it's been in storage since late 2013. Will dig the ECU out and open it up and post the info. Hope its an Ultimap single injector eprom.

But.. with a full Termi Ti/CF system this bike ran way stronger than any of my previous two 996's and ST4s. But in Thailand we had access to 95 ROM gas :] I will say the plugs are a bit dark, but dry. So It looks to have been running rich.

·
Registered
1,323 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·

The spec'd Champion RA59GC

·
Registered
1,323 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Hey BTW, any suggestions on a good value on an electronic micrometer for the shims - not the cheapest, but a good quality/price proposition?

1 - 5 of 5 Posts