Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

21 - 38 of 38 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter #21
My first stop was at the Ducati dealership in Philadelphia,PA and they could not bring up the 98 on there computer. They referred me to a local shop in Philadelphia and they referred me to another guy in California. 馃槀

Registered
this is an australian site, but many usa specific models are listed. if you select 1998 there is a 98 900ss usa, which shows the 3 phase alternator engine, but a half fairing only, and the 98 900ss fe, which has the euro spec single phase alternator engine. whereas the generic 98 900ss is a 900ssie

Registered
I might have to replace the gaskets on the cover for the motor, but no internal parts.
Now the question is --which cover gasket may you need to replace--I think this is an example of what Belter was saying---which engine cover are you referring to? --and motors are electric--engine's are internal combustion --you do have a motor on your bike--it's a starter motor lol

Registered
Remember terminology matters

Registered
Discussion Starter #27
Now the question is --which cover gasket may you need to replace--I think this is an example of what Belter was saying---which engine cover are you referring to? --and motors are electric--engine's are internal combustion --you do have a motor on your bike--it's a starter motor lol
馃槀馃槀馃槀 I'm not replacing anything until I can get it to start. I took the plugs out and put in 6th gear and pushed it. It moved good and smelling g the bad gas coming out of the carbs told me the engine was moving. Right now I dont have an ignition switch as Someone cut the wires. So I've been searching for an ignition switch and gas cap lock with key. Next up I have to get a battery. Other then that I dont know what I need to start the bike.

Premium Member
Start with the basics of buying a old bike.

Do not try and start it until you are sure it will not self destruct if you do so.
Inspect oil, should be 1/2 way up the window. I would drop it and put in fresh known oil that can also be viewed as break in or flushing oil. Inspect the drain plug magnet and sump screen you should be fine keeping the oil filter for this first change as you are not going to keep the oil in that you are putting in.

Inspect timing belts. Do not run the bike without changing these belts, you can refer to other threads what can happen running old belts.

Clean the carbs, do not change jets if possible just clean them to avoid changing jetting just yet.

Run the bike when ready on a remote tank and if at that time it runs fine add your new tank.

As mentioned all of the engine parts including gaskets are available and gaskets are best oem IMHO . No problem getting parts for these engines at this time and you should have a very good version.

I do have a customer that has a complete FE body set including tank that were pulled at low miles if interested. The FE did not sell well in 98 so at the time they were underrated but now they are seen by many as the best carby SS ever built. You might keep that in mind if you have plans to cut up,chop,cafe or otherwise make changes that are not reversible. I do know of a few that have been so changed they are much less a FE and more the owners interpenetration of what they COULD be and they have created great bikes many, would be all over today if offered.

good luck and enjoy!

Registered
Nice gift must be some back story as why it was a parts bike etc. Just be careful many people
have found out that the most expensive bike they ever owned was the one they got for free.

Registered
Discussion Starter #30
Nice gift must be some back story as why it was a parts bike etc. Just be careful many people
have found out that the most expensive bike they ever owned was the one they got for free.
I have a paperwork that the bike changed hands 4x before I got it. Two of the guys who owned it already passed away. In the beginning it had everything on it, except front fairing and smashed speedo cluster from a crash. The bike only has 3079 miles on it, but now the gaskets and seals are leaking. I'm going to try very hard not to put more then 2K in to it. That's why I dont want fairings.

Registered
Discussion Starter #32
Other than the known running changes (cylinder head studs, combustion chamber shape/valve sizes), there is no difference between say, a '97 900 engine, and a '98 FE's. I'd venture to say the only difference between a '97 SP and a '98 FE is the tail/seat and paint.

Depending on what you need, you may be able to source parts from an ST, Monster, Superbike also. Start making your list and I'm sure we can help you out indirectly if not directly.
Thank you and it will be a long list.....

Registered
Looking at pictures of Supersports 92-98 may help you find what you are missing....The Gallery section on this site should be a good place to look.
Woundedduc.net is a good source for parts, Mark is great guy to know.

Fred

Registered
Discussion Starter #35
Start with the basics of buying a old bike.

Do not try and start it until you are sure it will not self destruct if you do so.
Inspect oil, should be 1/2 way up the window. I would drop it and put in fresh known oil that can also be viewed as break in or flushing oil. Inspect the drain plug magnet and sump screen you should be fine keeping the oil filter for this first change as you are not going to keep the oil in that you are putting in.

Inspect timing belts. Do not run the bike without changing these belts, you can refer to other threads what can happen running old belts.

Clean the carbs, do not change jets if possible just clean them to avoid changing jetting just yet.

Run the bike when ready on a remote tank and if at that time it runs fine add your new tank.

As mentioned all of the engine parts including gaskets are available and gaskets are best oem IMHO . No problem getting parts for these engines at this time and you should have a very good version.

I do have a customer that has a complete FE body set including tank that were pulled at low miles if interested. The FE did not sell well in 98 so at the time they were underrated but now they are seen by many as the best carby SS ever built. You might keep that in mind if you have plans to cut up,chop,cafe or otherwise make changes that are not reversible. I do know of a few that have been so changed they are much less a FE and more the owners interpenetration of what they COULD be and they have created great bikes many, would be all over today if offered.

good luck and enjoy!
Can you check with your customer and see what he wants for the plastics and tank. Thank you, Myles

21 - 38 of 38 Posts