Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was given a 1998 900ss FE 115/300. The bikes was sold over the years as a parts bike. I would like to bring it back from the dead. Engine turns, but missing a lot of parts. The only parts I dont want are the fairings. Question is what years are compatible to find parts for this bike. I found a 1999 900ss but not sure if any parts a compatible. Any help would be greatly appreciated...

·
Registered
1,205 Posts
I think 92-98 should cover most of it.

Perhaps you want to post in the super sport forum.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
850 Posts
As stated in the previous post, this really belongs in the Supersport forum. Hopefully, the moderators can move it.

The US SS FE is somewhat unique from the 92-97 Supersports and from the 97 FE in other parts of the world. Many of the parts from 92-98 are cross-compatible, but some, mainly in the motor, are not. Parts from the 99 and later FI bikes are generally not compatible.

It actually looks like your bike is pretty complete. Much of what you need is available on Ebay or sitting in bins in my basement. It should be a fun project!

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
As stated in the previous post, this really belongs in the Supersport forum. Hopefully, the moderators can move it.

The US SS FE is somewhat unique from the 92-97 Supersports and from the 97 FE in other parts of the world. Many of the parts from 92-98 are cross-compatible, but some, mainly in the motor, are not. Parts from the 99 and later FI bikes are generally not compatible.

It actually looks like your bike is pretty complete. Much of what you need is available on Ebay or sitting in bins in my basement. It should be a fun project!
If the Moderators can move it that would be great. If you want to lighten your bins in the basement let me know what you have available.

·
Registered
4,975 Posts
Many of the parts from 92-98 are cross-compatible, but some, mainly in the motor, are not. Parts from the 99 and later FI bikes are generally not compatible.
Other than the known running changes (cylinder head studs, combustion chamber shape/valve sizes), there is no difference between say, a '97 900 engine, and a '98 FE's. I'd venture to say the only difference between a '97 SP and a '98 FE is the tail/seat and paint.

Depending on what you need, you may be able to source parts from an ST, Monster, Superbike also. Start making your list and I'm sure we can help you out indirectly if not directly.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Other than the known running changes (cylinder head studs, combustion chamber shape/valve sizes), there is no difference between say, a '97 900 engine, and a '98 FE's. I'd venture to say the only difference between a '97 SP and a '98 FE is the tail/seat and paint.

Depending on what you need, you may be able to source pars from an ST, Monster, Superbike. Start making your list and I'm sure we can help you out indirectly if not directly.

Depending on what you need, you may be able to source pars from an ST, Monster, Superbike. Start making your list and I'm sure we can help you out indirectly if not directly.
That would be awesome as I can use all the help I can get. It's easier when you have a complete bike, but when your missing parts and sont know what all your missing that makes it a bit challenging.

·
Registered
635 Posts
I am not sure if you are going to replace the fairings or not but I have a perfect front fairing support bracket

·
Registered
112 Posts
Perfect project IMHO.
Hope the "price was right" and there's no doubt you will spend $$$ getting it complete and on the road.
But - What a trip that will be!
Fasten you seat belt...

·
Registered
635 Posts
I am seeing in my head -Slim Pickens riding the Bomb from Dr StrangeGlove --yelling --YEEEEEEE HAAAAAAA

·
Premium Member
850 Posts

Depending on what you need, you may be able to source parts from an ST, Monster, Superbike also. Start making your list and I'm sure we can help you out indirectly if not directly.
Actually the 98 FE motor has some pretty significant changes relative to the earlier years: 3 phase charging system with the different crank, stator, flywheel, case cover etc.; and the internal oiling.

·
Registered
1,721 Posts
a/a, usa fe runs the 98 m900s engine.

overall, it's the same bike as the 91 - 97 ss, but different where it's not the same.

direct compatability with stuff like front subframe and wiring is 95 - 97 ss. wiring loom variations make mounts and connectors different to earlier ones. correct side panels for the fe are 97 only, earlier are different in design, but will fit exactly the same.

when looking for bits, keep in mind that for everywhere, but the usa, a 1998 900ss is a 900ssie.

·
Registered
4,678 Posts
Actually the 98 FE motor has some pretty significant changes relative to the earlier years: 3 phase charging system with the different crank, stator, flywheel, case cover etc.; and the internal oiling.
This ^

The '98 FE is a '97 SS 900 chassis, with a '99 900 SS engine with carbs instead of FI.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I am not sure if you are going to replace the fairings or not but I have a perfect front fairing support bracket
I assumed the fender got bolted right on the forks? I guess I was wrong there. I will need a bracket then. I'm not putting fairings back on. Is there only one style front fender for these bikes for that bracket. I thought I seen 2 different front fenders for the 900ss. Please correct me if I'm wrong.

·
Registered
1,721 Posts
most parts are common across a lot of years. you need to ask specific questions if you need specific parts, not just general "in case i need to know" sort of stuff. we're happy to help, but answering that shit over and over gets pretty boring.

·
Registered
1,721 Posts
I assumed the fender got bolted right on the forks? I guess I was wrong there. I will need a bracket then. I'm not putting fairings back on. Is there only one style front fender for these bikes for that bracket. I thought I seen 2 different front fenders for the 900ss. Please correct me if I'm wrong.
he said fairing, not fender. the fairing bit around the headlight has a mounting subframe.

front fender was always one design, but there are two variations, one for 60 series front tyre and another for 70 series models. yours has a 70. 91> 851, 888 and pre 00 monsters will also bolt on.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
most parts are common across a lot of years. you need to ask specific questions if you need specific parts, not just general "in case i need to know" sort of stuff. we're happy to help, but answering that shit over and over gets pretty boring.
I asked a specific question to your first reply about Motor parts, not Stuff. And yes this is my first Ducati project. So bare with me.

·
Registered
4,678 Posts
the ssie engine has different cams, timing gears, alternator cover and ignition pick ups. That's good to know.

the usa fe engine is a 98 big valve m900 engine. To my knowledge, we didn't get any of the big valve M900 until 2000. I know we didn't have any at the dealership I was at in '98, and I was leaving to move down south in Spring of '99, so I'm not sure there were any then or not. I would have to call the local dealership to verify. We don't really have access to Parts Fiche info about US models before 2000 . Redlinealley is gonna have to rely on his local dealer for part number info about most of the stuff on his FE.

1 - 20 of 38 Posts