Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your bike HERE to be a part of this months Bike of the Month Challenge!
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Premium Member
923 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 2007 ST3

The riding position is great for rides of 1-2 days @ 600-700 kilometers per day.
But over this current winter I've become less comfortable on those longer rides.

Every year I do the 4,000 kilometer round trip to the MotoGP at Phillip Island.

In preparation for this year's trip, I'm looking at some options to make the GREAT ST3 even more comfortable.

To alleviate the shoulder/neck discomfort, I'm looking at fitting handlebar risers.
I'm thinking 20-30mm higher, and 30-40mm back towards the rider will make all the difference.

To alleviate the knee discomfort I'm looking at lowering the footpegs 30-40mm.

I'm 175cm or 5' 9", weigh 80 kgs.

I will most probably only use these items for the annual P.I. trip, and put it back to standard for the other 50 weeks of the year.

I've search this website for threads/posts on the above, and have tried to sort the comments into some sort of order ,,,, but am still left wondering the pros and cons of different brands of each product.

Soooooooo ,,,,,
Can I please canvas "my learnered colleagues" of the ST pages to bring their thoughts together in this one thread on the positives/negatives of the different brands of each product.

Thanking you in anticipation of informative responses.

Cheers
Trevor

·
Premium Member
923 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
You've got Helibars
Ducati ST3 ST4 2004-2008 Helibars Heli Handlebars clipon Helibar Riser Helis ABS | eBay

Or Cyclecats
DBR25 - Ducati ST3 - ST4S Bar Mounting System

Havnt got experience with either im afraid, but dont forget that it may change the windflow you recieve too. So you might need to throw a Touring screen into the mix too?
Thanks Tom

I've already got a Double Bubble Touring Screen, made in Australia by Eagle Screens.
Have had it for a couple of years now and find it OK.
I think it will be even more advantageous to a more upright seating position.

·
Registered
1,612 Posts
I am assuming the ST3 is similar to my ST4. I put on 1 in. risers and the peg lowering kit from Desmotimes and it gives me a bit more comfort on long trips. The Sargent Seat was also a vast improvement over the stock one. For me the biggest improvement in making the long trips more pleasant, has been the physical training I have been doing for the past year. Have a bad back due to a severe injury years ago and I finally got sick of hurting it constantly. I started walking, swimming and doing yoga and with the core strengthening, I can go much farther per day. I went on a 2300 mile trip this past June from Calif. up to Idaho and back, and was frankly surprised that I even made it without turning back.
Mike

·
Registered
639 Posts
Bars: If you want to move the bars back farther than the Cycle Cat DB25, look at the DB2.
On the DB25's the riser is to the side, but you can mount the DB2's so the riser is to the back - that moves the bars back quite a bit. My bike is an earlier one so it's quite different from yours, but I believe the later bikes have less fairing clearance problems than the earlier ones. I can post a photo or two if it's of interest.

I've used footpeg lowering brackets - moves the pegs down about 1". I've removed them
and remounted them a few times to compare, and it's a surprisingly noticeable difference. Again, I don't know how it's done on the later bikes, but on mine, I had problems with my rear brakelight switch after lowering the brake lever to match the footpeg - the bolt head that hits the switch didn't do the job after the adjustment. In the end, I turned a bolt with a larger head. I've never seen the footpegs with the eccentric mount on a bike, but it also seems like a classy solution, and I'm sure it'd feel similar and have the same brake switch issue.

·
Registered
1,088 Posts
Hello

If you can source some CycleCat rearsets, they can make an amazing difference in leg/knee comfort.
They're looked at by some as a bling/farkle accessory, but they have an amazing capacity to provide a personalized fit to your ST. And an easily modified fit, if you feel like changing from day to day or whatever.

JMHO....

·
Mr Leakered
8,944 Posts
That, and the support from Chris at CC is excellent. He sent me some replacement bushings when the originals got a bit sloppy.

After a lot of abuse, both the clip-ons and rear sets still look new.

Have a good one.

·
7,733 Posts
I am assuming the ST3 is similar to my ST4. I put on 1 in. risers and the peg lowering kit from Desmotimes and it gives me a bit more comfort on long trips. The Sargent Seat was also a vast improvement over the stock one. For me the biggest improvement in making the long trips more pleasant, has been the physical training I have been doing for the past year. Have a bad back due to a severe injury years ago and I finally got sick of hurting it constantly. I started walking, swimming and doing yoga and with the core strengthening, I can go much farther per day. I went on a 2300 mile trip this past June from Calif. up to Idaho and back, and was frankly surprised that I even made it without turning back.
Mike
2004> ST bikes have very different clip-ons/fork lengths, than previous years, though the final ergonomics may be the same. They clip on *under* the top triple to the fork stanchion, and have a 20mm range of up/down adjustability, as opposed to mounting to a fixed position on top of the top triple like previous ST bikes. :)

·
I yam what I yam
989 Posts
I am very happy with the peg lowering brackets I got from LT at Desmo Times. They lower the pegs about 25mm. It is surprising how much that improved comfort for the knees (I'm 6'3" or 190cm).

Lt supplies a modified bolt with the kit, so lowering the brake lever is not a problem.

Before I bought my ST3, I road tested one with HeliBars. They were very comfortable. Machined from billet they are gorgeous pieces.

During my recent trip to Moto GP at Laguna Seca, my lower back was telling me HeliBars should be the next modification to my ST. :eek:

·
Life is too short to worry !
2,650 Posts
I like the Helibars I have fitted and they are well made but expensive in the UK.

They work very well , fit with the standard hoeses and achieve even better comfort with the Zero Gravity DB Screen I have just fitted.

Dont think I will want anything more whilst sticking with a SPORT Tourer where it is still desirable to be able to lean forward at speed when the occasion/opportunity arises.

·
Premium Member
923 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Bars: If you want to move the bars back farther than the Cycle Cat DB25, look at the DB2.
On the DB25's the riser is to the side, but you can mount the DB2's so the riser is to the back - that moves the bars back quite a bit. My bike is an earlier one so it's quite different from yours, but I believe the later bikes have less fairing clearance problems than the earlier ones. I can post a photo or two if it's of interest.

Yes please ,,, that would be much appreciated.

I've used footpeg lowering brackets - moves the pegs down about 1". I've removed them
and remounted them a few times to compare, and it's a surprisingly noticeable difference. Again, I don't know how it's done on the later bikes, but on mine, I had problems with my rear brakelight switch after lowering the brake lever to match the footpeg - the bolt head that hits the switch didn't do the job after the adjustment. In the end, I turned a bolt with a larger head. I've never seen the footpegs with the eccentric mount on a bike, but it also seems like a classy solution, and I'm sure it'd feel similar and have the same brake switch issue.
Good info, thank you :)

·
Premium Member
923 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Mike
My ST3 has the factory Gel Seat ,,,, absolutely, positively the best and most comfortable seat that I've ever had on a motorcycle.
Pillion "loves" the small ridge in the centre of the raised section ;) :D

I've got an Air Hawk, which was great on my Suzuki GSXR, but has never been used or required on the ST3.

I've heard and read plenty about alternative seats, including Sargent, Corbin, and those custom made by a bloke here in Australia named John Moorehouse.
I've ridden an ST3 with a Corbin, and an ST4 with a Sargent.
IMO both are less comfortable than the factory Gel Seat.

As to personal fitness ,,,, I fully agree.
As I get older, my general fitness is not what it used to be. And I've attributed some of the long distance fatigue to this aspect.
However, I do consider myself to be "Ride fit" ,,, I do a LOT of riding, and think that in general, I'm in pretty good condition for a bloke of my age ,,,, although there's always room for improvement :eek: :rolleyes: :D

·
Premium Member
923 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
You've got Helibars
Ducati ST3 ST4 2004-2008 Helibars Heli Handlebars clipon Helibar Riser Helis ABS | eBay

Or Cyclecats
DBR25 - Ducati ST3 - ST4S Bar Mounting System

Havnt got experience with either im afraid, but dont forget that it may change the windflow you recieve too. So you might need to throw a Touring screen into the mix too?
Can somebody please confirm ,,,,,,,,,,,,,

Helibars - fixed / not adjustable ,,, other than up or down / outwards or inwards on the fork legs ?

Cycle Cats - Multi adjustable for height and reach ?

·
Premium Member
923 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Another handlebar modification that I've seen ,,,,,,,

An ST3 fitted with the top triple clamp from an S4 Monster.
Which meant that "normal / traditional" type handlebars are fitted, which of course means that a range of different bars can be fitted and adjusted back and forth.

Anybody else seen or had experience with this modification ?

·
Premium Member
923 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Hello

If you can source some CycleCat rearsets, they can make an amazing difference in leg/knee comfort.
They're looked at by some as a bling/farkle accessory, but they have an amazing capacity to provide a personalized fit to your ST. And an easily modified fit, if you feel like changing from day to day or whatever.

JMHO....
That, and the support from Chris at CC is excellent. He sent me some replacement bushings when the originals got a bit sloppy.

After a lot of abuse, both the clip-ons and rear sets still look new.

Have a good one.
THANKS Guido & Tone ,,,, I'll certainly look into those.

I have considered fabricating my own rear-sets.
I've got the machinery (mill & lathe), so might consider custom making something similar.

But then buying a set ready made, with hopefully "plug & play" fit might be more appealing to a time poor bloke like me.

·
Super Moderator
5,571 Posts
Can somebody please confirm ,,,,,,,,,,,,,

Helibars - fixed / not adjustable ,,, other than up or down / outwards or inwards on the fork legs ?

Cycle Cats - Multi adjustable for height and reach ?
I have an '06 ST3 with Helibars. The bars travel a short distance up/down on the fork. It may be possible to have forward/backward adjustability if the guide peg is milled off (I think there's a peg there the last time I checked). But in doing so you may be opening yourself up to some slipping that could be dangerous.

·
Registered
639 Posts
> Cycle Cats - Multi adjustable for height and reach ? <

I hope someone will chime in who has mounted them on a later bike, since the bar mounting is different than earlier bikes like mine. But go on their site and look at the DBR-25's - you can adjust the height somewhat by sliding the risers up and down; you can change how much the bars angle back by rotating the risers; and where the bars clamp into the risers there's an eccentric - as you rotate it, the ends of the bars can be angled forward-down-back-up. Look on their site - there are good explanations and diagrams.

·
Registered
3,806 Posts
Another handlebar modification that I've seen ,,,,,,,

An ST3 fitted with the top triple clamp from an S4 Monster.
Which meant that "normal / traditional" type handlebars are fitted, which of course means that a range of different bars can be fitted and adjusted back and forth.

Anybody else seen or had experience with this modification ?
Yes.

Other Monster clamps will fit too, like the 620 and the M900
They might all fit, but I'm not sure.

If I were to convert, that's the way I'd go - they come up on ebay fairly regularly and are quite cheap. There's a few on there now, just do a search on 'Ducati Monster tree', Ducati Monster clamp', and ducati Monster yoke'.

Ideally you want the tree/yoke and the risers all as one unit, but most people seem to split them.

·
Premium Member
6,924 Posts
G'day Trev,

I've got some Desmotimes peg lowering brackets & brake lever that I never got round to fitting if you would like to try them.
Give me a call.

Craig

1 - 20 of 29 Posts