Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
1,212 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well, it's not the most obvious comparison you can make. I had the chance to hop on a 2007 R1 today. It's something I've always wanted to, but wouldn't really want to admit( since it's a 4cilinder bike and not a Ducati). To be honest, I was quite disappointed with the R1. It's quick, but you don't notice it unless you look down at the tach. It takes about the same amount of skill to drive it like the Hyper, but then at higher speeds.

Both have an intimidating amount of power, but for some reason, since the R1 is a 4cilinder bike, even though it has 100 HP more than the hyper, it feels more tame. Steering wise it's also less agile, and ergonomics? Well, let's say both aren't that great, but the hyper is better for your posture whereas the R1 is better for cruising the highway.

Still, going full throttle in 1st gear with the R1 isn't scary at al, sure, the front lifts , but it's so controllable, unlike the hyper, where the 1st gear seems designed to throw people off their bikes like a raging bull.

Would I choose the R1 over the Hyper if I had another chance? Hell no!

Even though the Hyper is slower, it feels faster and is more fun. Oh, and then there's the issue of brakes. Even though the R1 has 6 piston radial calipers, they have almost no feel and stopping power compared to the 4 piston monoblocs on the Hyper.

The only bike I've tried so far that comes close to the Hyper in most aspects is the RSV 1000R Factory. Light, nimble and pretty damn quick:eek:

·
Upright Racer
889 Posts
Same reason I don't enjoy riding my Gixxer anymore....It is a lot faster than my Hyper, but like you said, you don't know it until you look down at the dash. It does have more wind protection, but that's about all there is good to say about it. I will probably never be able to "settle" for a Jap sportbike again unless maybe it's a twin. The feel of the twin is half of the fun.

·
Registered
2,718 Posts
I came off of R1s to arrive at the Hyper. I raced R6s and love how nimble they are. I chase my buddy around on his R1 all the time and the only place he has an advantage is when the speeds get into three digits.

While I ride dirtbikes often, and race Supermoto occasionally, I'm still not as good at those as I am at roadracing. I like the feel of the tires while in the racer position and I'm lacking this on the Hyper. I also miss the longer legs of a superbike. I've been wondering how a StreetFighter would fit the bill......

I can't afford both and I'm afraid of the grass not being as green on the otherside once I arrive.

Dave

·
Registered
532 Posts
i have had a gsxer 1000 what a rocket and a fireblade 07 model and yea they are fast and are real good bikes but there is something about the hyper that i prefare than any sports bike. I think that it is the low down torque in any gear where as the sports bikes have to be revved to get anywhere. I can have the same fun on the hyper at half the speeds.

·
Registered
1,056 Posts
R1 vs. Hyper, that really is a weird comparison to make.

From what you have written, one should acknowledge how good the Japanese are at building fast motorbikes. Going 140 when thinking you´re doing 35 is something that will make you really fast on the racetrack.

Still, the horsepower game has become irrelevant a long time ago. At least for me.

·
Registered
540 Posts
Hmm i kinda wondered this myself.......heres my current status.....

1. Bought my hyper about 5 weeks ago. Bought on the spur of the moment....i was planning to get a blade. (Ive never had a bike with fairing before). Used to have a TDR years ago and that was to this day the best bike ive ever had. HM kinda reminds me of a TDR on steroids - my reason for the purchase...
2. I never expected to own a Ducati, ever, hate twins, dont like the sound, to me they sound like a "Meaty CG125" - thats just me though.
3. Overall i think mine looks nice, but, i can never get over the look of the engine - if you square off your thumb and forefinger (film producer stylee) you look at the back - beautiful, look at the front - lovely - look at the middle - lawnmower engine.....
4. Having said all that i got a new corsa III on the back on sunday and went to see my mate (20 miles away - A Roads all the way) - he's a GSX-r man through and through and he loved it!!
5. Coming back home i went down the A-Road that i know like the back of my hand and i think i could safely say i got through there faster than i ever have!! smiling now as im writing this....it is, immense fun - im so glad i got it but i must confess i would still like to try a blade out!!
6. Going to the TT on saturday for 4 days - A Road city!!

All in all glad i got it - would i change it - not sure at the moment - only had it for 5 weeks (with a squared off, almost bald, back tyre) - looking forward to really learning to find out how it handles!!

·
Registered
1,212 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
R1 vs. Hyper, that really is a weird comparison to make.

From what you have written, one should acknowledge how good the Japanese are at building fast motorbikes. Going 140 when thinking you´re doing 35 is something that will make you really fast on the racetrack.

Still, the horsepower game has become irrelevant a long time ago. At least for me.
It's a weird comparison, I know, but how often do you get the chance to ride a 170 HP beast? Well, at least now I know for certain that power isn't everything.

The annoying part with the R1 was that the front end didn't have much traction, even in 3rd gear. It was barely touching the road, and that's when you need a good steering damper, but the stock unit on it is pretty crap, didn't do much.

I've also ridden a CBR600RR '08, they're far more nimble and actually feel faster than the R1, oddly enough.

·
Registered
47 Posts
R1 and GSXR's have their place on the track but in the real world of twisty, imperfect roads, and sub 100 MPH speeds, there's just nothing that comes close to the fun you can have on a Hyper. Roads I used to avoid on my previous bikes I seek out now. It's opened up a whole new world for me. There's no going back now. A Hyper for the street and maybe a good 600 inline four for the track only would be the ultimate set up.
Happy riding.

·
Registered
265 Posts
DecreasingDave - You should ride a 1200 Multi though it doesn't have the quickness of the Hyper it does have all of the other things you mentioned (thread jack over).

·
Registered
1,283 Posts
i have a 07 r1 heavily modded and a 08hyper also heavily modded..definitely two different beasts..but enjoy both of them..jus takes me an hour or two to get comfortable on the r1 after riding the hyper..and the hyper takes 5min..i guess because i still ride motorcross alot and have my hyper set up as close as i could to 2012 yzf 450

Attachments

·
Registered
327 Posts
I came off of R1s to arrive at the Hyper. I raced R6s and love how nimble they are. I chase my buddy around on his R1 all the time and the only place he has an advantage is when the speeds get into three digits.

While I ride dirtbikes often, and race Supermoto occasionally, I'm still not as good at those as I am at roadracing. I like the feel of the tires while in the racer position and I'm lacking this on the Hyper. I also miss the longer legs of a superbike. I've been wondering how a StreetFighter would fit the bill......

I can't afford both and I'm afraid of the grass not being as green on the otherside once I arrive.

Dave
i too was torn between the street fighter and the hyper but went with the hyper... i still want to ride one sooner or later to see what it's all about.

·
Registered
134 Posts
mirrors

i have a 07 r1 heavily modded and a 08hyper also heavily modded..definitely two different beasts..but enjoy both of them..jus takes me an hour or two to get comfortable on the r1 after riding the hyper..and the hyper takes 5min..i guess because i still ride motorcross alot and have my hyper set up as close as i could to 2012 yzf 450
What kind of mirrors do you have setup on your hyper?

·
Premium Member
350 Posts
having had a 02 RC51 and a 08 CBR1000RR

i can honestly say My 10 HYPER EVO SP

is more FUN to Ride!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

·
Registered
145 Posts
V4

After four V-twinns , latest was an Hyper 1100 evo-sp an really fun bike !

i must say there is something else out there .. its called an V4 engine it got some char and grunt of the V-twinn and the toppend rush of the inline four :D

And the sound of nothing else .. well an Termi hyper sounds really nice too but you got the picture "moto gp sound" :)

Try one if you wanna try some thing diffrent .. just rememeber why you feel ex r1 slow in conpairson its the gearing .. my bike do 200km/h in third gear ..

The bike im a sucker for is Tuono V4 !
Probobly the best bike in the world right now :cool:

·
Registered
369 Posts
Soo sexy. If I had a R6/1 and a true Supermoto like a Husky, I'd be styling right now. But the only bike I have right now is the Hyper. Which is okay, because what the Hyper does do, it does it so well; it satiates all need for speed/agility, particularly Torque/sex appeal. No bike thrusts like the Hyper! :yeah:

I do miss the desert, though...

·
Registered
8 Posts
Well that's an interesting topic being a 08 R1 owner myself and lusting over a Hyper... The 07-08 R1 is specially high-revving so if you kept below 8-10k it looked like an overweight 600. The newer 1000's are much lighter but I'm with you on usability on real world roads. But if you ever have a chance to ride one of these on a track don't loose it, its intoxicating! :cool:

Sent from my GT-I9000B using Motorcycle.com Free App

·
Registered
49 Posts
DecreasingDave - You should ride a 1200 Multi though it doesn't have the quickness of the Hyper it does have all of the other things you mentioned (thread jack over).
Multi Should be quicker, since it roughly has 60 more hp, and 20 ftlb more torque in a package only 50lbs heavier. If you rode one and it didn't feel like it perhaps it was not in sport mode.

·
Registered
1,212 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Well that's an interesting topic being a 08 R1 owner myself and lusting over a Hyper... The 07-08 R1 is specially high-revving so if you kept below 8-10k it looked like an overweight 600. The newer 1000's are much lighter but I'm with you on usability on real world roads. But if you ever have a chance to ride one of these on a track don't loose it, its intoxicating! :cool:

Sent from my GT-I9000B using Motorcycle.com Free App
I shifted when the shift light came on almost always. There was some acceleration from 8k rpm onwards, but it was so useless when riding normally.

Would like to try it I. The track, but it's not my bike :rolleyes:

·
Registered
1,283 Posts
Soo sexy. If I had a R6/1 and a true Supermoto like a Husky, I'd be styling right now. But the only bike I have right now is the Hyper. Which is okay, because what the Hyper does do, it does it so well; it satiates all need for speed/agility, particularly Torque/sex appeal. No bike thrusts like the Hyper! :yeah:

I do miss the desert, though...
yea and i miss cali!..but damn its alot harder to ride dirt in cali now...with gas,transport,etc...hyper definitely sex appeal and fun...waiting for insurance adj today for hyper had a highside at 65 on a canyon run on devils hwy 191 friday! hyper isnt damaged to bad no signs of frame bent..but sub frame is definitely bent..thank god for all the protection/sliders i had...mostly cosmetic..will post pics asap..no broken bones but torn r/c and badly battered! no road rash..the shift kelvar jeans acually worked!..oh yea turf... those mirrors were called rizoma spy qs..sell them to you cheap!!!!!lol

t

·
Registered
1,287 Posts
yea and i miss cali!..but damn its alot harder to ride dirt in cali now...with gas,transport,etc...hyper definitely sex appeal and fun...waiting for insurance adj today for hyper had a highside at 65 on a canyon run on devils hwy 191 friday! hyper isnt damaged to bad no signs of frame bent..but sub frame is definitely bent..thank god for all the protection/sliders i had...mostly cosmetic..will post pics asap..no broken bones but torn r/c and badly battered! no road rash..the shift kelvar jeans acually worked!..oh yea turf... those mirrors were called rizoma spy qs..sell them to you cheap!!!!!lol

t
Oh shit, glad you're OK.
How did that happen ?

1 - 20 of 25 Posts