Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have seen the SF's riding position compared to the Monster's as being lower and farther forward. How does the SF's riding position compare to that of an ST*? I haven't been able to get to a dealer that has an SF to "try it on." I have both a Monster and ST4S and find the ST4S to be moderately comfortable stock and just fine with bar risers and foot peg lowering. I could imagine that those mods could also be done to the SF. One SF owner has already gone to higher and wider bars.

·
Bon Vivant
10,909 Posts
I have seen the SF's riding position compared to the Monster's as being lower and farther forward. How does the SF's riding position compare to that of an ST*? I haven't been able to get to a dealer that has an SF to "try it on." I have both a Monster and ST4S and find the ST4S to be moderately comfortable stock and just fine with bar risers and foot peg lowering. I could imagine that those mods could also be done to the SF. One SF owner has already gone to higher and wider bars.
No, that comparison is not correct, the SF is higher with the bars closer to you and the bar ends bent slightly down at the ends for a more sporting position. There's a lot more leg room than on a monster but you still have weight on the bars.

I think guys that put higher more relaxed bars on the SF are going to have problems with handling and acceleration. The bike has a LOT of power and needs a slightly aggressive rider position to weight it properly. it also handles very quickly and more leverage (wider bars) and less weight on the front will make it twitchy. ...Just my opinion.

The SF is a fairly comfortable and I think that people who are used to sport bikes are going to find the bike very relaxed, but people who are used to touring bikes are going to find it too aggressive and quite uncomfortable. If you are looking for an ST replacement - this isn't it.

·
Registered
96 Posts
I'm coming off a race replca bike that I couldn't ride for more than an hour at a time and can attest to the improved riding postion of this SF. I rode for 3 hours yesterday with stops only for gas and have no aches, pains or complaints today. NONE!:D

·
Registered
3,261 Posts
Agree here on this, I rode it yesterday for about 3 1/2 hours and 150 or so miles. It's a good bit more agressive posture than my tuono and slightly more than my brutale. I tour on my tuono but don't see myself doing that on the SF. I'm not sure what you could do to the SF to make it a good tourer.

Chris

·
Registered
1,265 Posts
leg room

I just traded an ST3 for the SF. Luckily I still have one to compare it to. The SF has more room between the seat top and the pegs. Your legs are more forward because of the shorter tank. It's like a MX'er.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I just traded an ST3 for the SF. Luckily I still have one to compare it to. The SF has more room between the seat top and the pegs. Your legs are more forward because of the shorter tank. It's like a MX'er.
Mojodog, That's interesting. Thanks. When you say your legs are more forward, do you mean the knees such that your feet are farther back under your butt? Is the leg bend still comfortable? How do you rate overall the SF comfort compared to the ST3?

I guess I'll have to find a dealer with a demo and check it out.

·
Registered
1,265 Posts
less bend in your knees

Your heels aren't as far under your butt.

·
Registered
3,261 Posts
It ain't a tourer,it's a bonkers streetbike for annoying people.......:eek:
If you want a tourer.....:sleep:
Buy a GoldWing:eek:
No Dis,Chris.

NOpe I've had a wing, my tuono is my dedicated touring bike, you couldn't really make a good touring bike out of an SF, but you COULD tour on it if you wanted, tho I doubt I'd ride it to alaska.

Chris

·
Registered
90 Posts
I have seen the SF's riding position compared to the Monster's as being lower and farther forward.
Wait, where did you see this? I asked that question on a thread somewhere, but can't remember where it was. :confused: Anyway, I have a Monster 1100 and am interested in adding the SF to the collection later in the year when it comes to Australia, but I hate riding position that is too sporty. Monster is about as sporty as I want to go. So is SF for me?

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
According to FLYNBULLDOG:

"A buddy of mine came over with his new 08 S4RS and we swapped bikes for a few miles. Let me tell you the riding position is VERY different on the two bikes! On the SF you sit higher and your feet sit farther back and lower giving you much more leg room. The bars are a bit closer to your body but slightly lower (maybe a half inch or less) and the angle of the SF bars at the ends tilt down a bit like clip-ons or more like a superbike and less like a dirtbike. I wouldn't swap them for dirtbike bars personally."

I misremebered what I read. Check out his thread "Streetfighter Experience" for more details. The best solution is to just wait for it to make it to Australia and take it for a test ride. Each rider has different preferences and proportions so this was probably a bad thread to start. Like which oil is best!

·
Registered
625 Posts
You can tour on anything...I just got back 2 hours ago from a huge 3 state trip on my Hypermotard - 1700 miles in 3 days - longest day - 500 miles, really not that big of a deal. Other than stopping for gas 55 times (3.3 gal) :rolleyes:
Put an airhawk seat pad on it and you'll be good. It was brilliant to tour on, the roads around Glacier National Park were twisty and the Hyper was at the ready.

Yes the SF is more forward/aggressive but it can be massaged slightly to be more tour oriented. Its not an RV with cupholders and 7.1 home theater like a goldwing but if you're committed the SF will reward long distance. When I finally get my SF I'll tour the shit out of it

·
Registered
3,261 Posts
Time for a bigger tank Park!! 3.3 gallons!!

You know I'm pleasantly surprised about the SF seat, I find it extremely comfortable and has similar feel to the technosel seat I had on my 996

Chris

You can tour on anything...I just got back 2 hours ago from a huge 3 state trip on my Hypermotard - 1700 miles in 3 days - longest day - 500 miles, really not that big of a deal. Other than stopping for gas 55 times (3.3 gal) :rolleyes:
Put an airhawk seat pad on it and you'll be good. It was brilliant to tour on, the roads around Glacier National Park were twisty and the Hyper was at the ready.

Yes the SF is more forward/aggressive but it can be massaged slightly to be more tour oriented. Its not an RV with cupholders and 7.1 home theater like a goldwing but if you're committed the SF will reward long distance. When I finally get my SF I'll tour the shit out of it

·
IHMC Est. 2010
2,017 Posts
Not to quibble with your math, but if the longest day was "500 miles", then how did you do the other 1,200 in two days? :confused:
Park can probably drink a case of beer and get thirteen bottles out of it ;)

Actually that is probably what happened before he posted!

·
Registered
625 Posts
Must have been delusional last night. Just realized the math does not work. Correction - longest day was close to 650 miles :cool:

·
Registered
1,337 Posts
All this talk about touring on the SF is relative.
I think I can make a 350 to 400 mile day on the SC1000S ...... riding the SF is like sitting in a Lazy Boy recliner it is so comfortable! Should be easy to do a 500 mile day. A lot depends on your body characteristics and what you usually ride.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts