Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys,

I just sold my 2015 Hypermotard SP and am looking at the 959 Panigale. I was wondering if anyone had a lot of experience commuting on a Panigale or a sports bike in general?

I'll be using my new bike for getting to and from work 95% of the time. The other 5% is track / canyons.

I'm in Australia - so commute all year round and in ALL weather (doesn't snow here in Sydney!)

Cheers

·
Premium Member
713 Posts
I commuted on an R1 then a CBR1000RR for years and at one point had a 130 mile round trip. The biggest waste is tires. I would try to find a spare set of wheels for track days and run good sport touring tires for the commute.

Roy

·
Registered
660 Posts
Have you sat on an 899 yet ? if you are planning on commuting, plan on getting a gel seat or something similar.

·
Average Weird Guy.
1,282 Posts
Commuting on a sport bike can be done,depends upon the length and type of your commute.

Is your commute primarily in slow stop and go city traffic or on boring long straight freeways? <--- = Sport Bike suckage.

Is your commute primarily on flowing wide open country roads or on tight twisty back roads? <--- = Sport Bike nirvana.

On days when I take my RC51,900SS,or VFR800 to work I have to get up a bit earlier than normal to get my gear on,let the bike warm up,and move my car out of the garage.
My commute is outside the city on high speed roads with very little traffic so more often than not I usually end up taking the loooong way home after work.

Nothing clears your head and makes the work day fade faster from your memory than a relaxing late afternoon romp through a few wide open sweepers and a coupla gnarly switchbacks on a sport bike.

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the replies!
I'd probably look at sorting the seat out if it didn't match my butt.
The commute is only about 15 miles each way. So it's not huge.

My other option is actually the new R1 - it's a lot of bike for the money.

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Commuting on a sport bike can be done,depends upon the length and type of your commute.

Is your commute primarily in slow stop and go city traffic or on boring long straight freeways? <--- = Sport Bike suckage.

Is your commute primarily on flowing wide open country roads or on tight twisty back roads? <--- = Sport Bike nirvana.
It's primarily city - bus lanes on busy roads which allows me to keep moving in most areas where the cars back up. I do a lot of filtering (legal here) so want something nimble and narrow. I often see the sports bike guys split where I can't - stopped traffic and narrow gaps etc.

I take some back roads home - but these are streets, not country sweepers.

I did the commute for 9 months on the Hyper SP. It done the job ok, although it's a big bike, filtering and moving it around traffic was a bit of pain - I'm 6'2, physically capable guy, and had trouble in some spots. I'm temporarily on a 390 Duke and it's far, FAR better, a commute tool than the SP despite the lack of power.

I've had nakeds for years! But have an inclination for a Panigale- and the new model temps me!

·
Registered
2,316 Posts
steer clear of the 2015 R1, world wide recall on the gearbox and they have to split the cases to replace it.
2015 R1/M Transmission Recall - Page 93 - Yamaha R1 Forum: YZF-R1 Forums
worst case
Disappointing recall result - Yamaha R1 Forum: YZF-R1 Forums

pani should be ok for commuting, shoulder checks are hard work and if the mirrors are as bad as my sports bikes you have to move your elbows to see anything. I haven't ridden a pani but i get the impression they get hotter than my 916 sitting at traffic lights in summer which gets bloody hot.

959 coming out soon might be worth waiting and test riding one of those too. edit oops that's the one you're looking at my bad :)

let us know what you decide and post up pics

·
Registered
1,179 Posts
Dunno what part of Sydney your in or what direction your going but it sucks here commuting. I run a Yammy 125 scooter for that crap as it has storage under the seat and a helmet box for heaps of gear and twist and go is too easy for stop go traffic. It will do over the speed limit no problem.

Maybe you have a cleaner run than I get but I avoid peak commuting times in Sydney like the plague. I'm out in Parra and it's a 30 min ride in zero traffic to get anywhere that's fun.

Hate sounding so negative but it has become so crap it's unbelievable. I've been stuck in traffic less than 10kms from home in a car and it was 2 hours. At least on a bike I would have been moving.

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Dunno what part of Sydney your in or what direction your going but it sucks here commuting.

Hate sounding so negative but it has become so crap it's unbelievable. I've been stuck in traffic less than 10kms from home in a car and it was 2 hours. At least on a bike I would have been moving.
Yeah - I'm hearing you - Sydney traffic is unbearable unless I'm riding. I commute from Leichhardt to Macquarie Uni. A lot of it is counter flow - still, on a bike it's 25-30, in a car 50-60.

I'm going to try and get some saddle time with the 959 - check those things like mirrors and head checks. The things that really are vital for commuting.

Thanks for info RE: R1 recall. That's a bit of a boo boo on behalf of Yamaha.

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Can you commute on a sport bike? Yes, of course. But should you do things just because you can? No.
This is a fair comment I think.

I liked the YouTube vid - but I think they're slightly different beasts the 1199 and the new 959. But I'm guessing the ergonomics will be similar, thus it was informative to watch!

·
Registered
393 Posts
pani should be ok for commuting, shoulder checks are hard work and if the mirrors are as bad as my sports bikes you have to move your elbows to see anything.
Stock mirrors on Pani work better than any of the stock ones on any previous SS/SBK. Much more visibility (don't have to contort to see past my elbows) and less vibration.

Won't offer opinion on practicality of a Pani for commuting. But the stock mirrors are very much usable/useful.

·
Registered
1,259 Posts
You might get more "hands on" responses in the superbike section than the super sport... But here's my take on it. I've never ridden a pani but my 996 is the absolute worst street bike I've ever owned/ridden. Nothing about it was designed with sitting in traffic in mind. It's geared too high, the heat off the pipes sucks, the ergos are horrible, and as mentioned you wear out the tires much too quickly. None of this matters all that much in canyon rides but in a warm day in slow traffic you'll be sitting at a light with heat pouring off of everything around you, straining your neck to see the light, Wondering wtf you were thinking riding that bike on that day.

That said... 15 minutes is more of a warm up than a commute... I used to commute 65 miles each way but that was on a 900ss, which was no problem at all. I also had very little traffic to deal with.

·
Registered
11 Posts
I guess I'm on the other side...I have a '13 848 Corse SE that I commute on. My ride is 75 miles one way on straight highway in the Bay Area, California. To me its no big deal, I'm 5'7" and 165 lbs, so I'm not all cramped up. I actually enjoy the ride if it isn't too cold in the AM, I gotta leave around 515 since I start work at 630. On the way home around 430 or 5pm, I'm damn near splittin lanes the whole way, so taking the bike cuts down on my commute BIG time!

I'd love to be able to own a Panigale, or I say that now because I've never ridden one, but they are beautiful. Maybe when I finish paying my 848 off I'll pick one up.

Anyways, for your 15 mile commute, I say hell yea, go for it.

·
Registered
46 Posts
I agree that 15 miles is more of a warmup and will be fun on any twin or three cylinder sportbike considering the environment you're describing. I personally wouldn't go with any 4 cyl though.

1 - 20 of 37 Posts