Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
117 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've been rocking a Joe Rocket Alter Ego 3-in-1 jacket for the past 6 years and as many bikes (on a Multistrada currently). It's handled weekly commuting duty and multiple 1,000 mile weekends. I've always liked the flexibility it has provided with the mesh jacket portion containing the armor and usable all summer in the coastal Virginia environment but also has the water proof shell which I'd use in the rain and then all winter as a wind shell. Stayed pretty warm all winter with just adding a thin down under layer jacket. It's showing signs of much wear - time to look for a new jacket. I want something a little higher end with some additional protection than the JR offers so I'm on the hunt from other mfg's.

Everything I'm finding on Revzilla doesn't have a similar multi season approach as the joe rocket with the mesh jacket containing the armor but then being able to put a shell on to keep the inner jacket dry. Most of the jackets I've been looking at either are mesh with a wind/ rain liner you zip inside the mesh if needed - seems like a poor idea because then your whole jacket is soaked? The jackets with a shell don't have a mesh inner jacket containing the armor so it seems like it'd work poorly in the summer as all they have is some big zipper vents.

What are y'all rocking for true multi-season wear with the emphasis on staying cool in the summer?

·
Registered
38 Posts
I had the same Joe jacket for several years but wasn't really comfortable with the armor protection and wanted a combo for being able to zip my jacket into my pants. I ended up with Dainese pants (textile with great armor and a zip mesh flap above the knee) and two Dainese jackets. For summer I got on sale a Ducati Corse Summer Mesh jacket which is made by Dainese. Great protection and great air flow. and then a perfororated leather Dainese jacket for cooler weather. Both jackets retailed for something like $500 but I found them on sale over time for less than $300.

As you mentioned, I couldn't find the combination of the Joe R. Even the dainese mesh jacket that I have has a lousy rain/wind shell. I don't typically ride when its raining so that wasn't a big deal for me. The upgraded protection of the armor and jacket zipping into the pants makes my commute feel much safer though.

·
Premium Member
3,376 Posts
I've got the Rev'It Sand 3... it's comfortable during the summer (no mesh but a lot of zips including down most of the arm) except for the very hottest days and has a liner for cold weather. I'd call it 3 season. I paired the jacket with the Rev'It Tornado 2 pants which breath like a mofo but have the drawback of an integrated thermal/waterproof liner (I'd have much rather seen a separate waterproof liner). I'd call it a 2.5 season pant (not suitable for very cold weather) with the caveat that in warm weather you need a separate waterproof overpant.

The stock shoulder, elbow and knee armor is solid (CE L2) and I bought the L2 back unit (cost an extra $50).

Cost about $1k after tax.

·
Registered
117 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I was entertaining the Sand 3, just on the fence about summertime breath-ability. Pants-wise I have Rev'It Airwave 2's for summer and Factor 3 for fall/winter/spring. That combo works well as I never expect to have a summer pant perform well in the winter and vice versa. But have gotten pretty used to a jacket that performs just as well in the summer as it does in the winter thanks to layering...

·
Administrator
11,846 Posts

·
Registered
924 Posts
What are y'all rocking for true multi-season wear with the emphasis on staying cool in the summer?
Honestly, I'm not rocking anything of the sort. Just my personal experience, but nothing I've ever found that was billed as 'multi-season' worked well. It was so-so for everything but not great for any single situation.

Because of that, I simply bought gear for different occasions. I actually have rain gear....but don't ride in the rain unless I get caught out in it....sean

·
Registered
117 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Not sure you would be into it but Klim has a new 1 piece suit that would be good for commuting:
https://www.klim.com/Hardanger-One-Piece-Suit-3737-000?quantity=1&color=9
I've been contemplating the benefits of a one-piece suit. My brother gave me a pretty beefy scorpion one this past year and I rocked it most of the cold days this winter. Much warmer than 2 separate pieces. It is crazy hi-viz though, great on the bike, not quite as subtle at a restaurant or the grocery store. It's way to heavy for swampy Virginia summer riding though.

·
Registered
72 Posts

·
Registered
445 Posts
I want something a little higher end with some additional protection than the JR offers so I'm on the hunt from other mfg's.

Everything I'm finding on Revzilla doesn't have a similar multi season approach as the joe rocket with the mesh jacket containing the armor but then being able to put a shell on to keep the inner jacket dry. Most of the jackets I've been looking at either are mesh with a wind/ rain liner you zip inside the mesh if needed - seems like a poor idea because then your whole jacket is soaked? The jackets with a shell don't have a mesh inner jacket containing the armor so it seems like it'd work poorly in the summer as all they have is some big zipper vents.
What are you looking for in the way of additional protection? Most decent jackets I've seen offer similar protection with CE-rated elbow/shoulder pads and spine protector. I assume leather is out due to heat?

I've been wearing an Olympia Airglide for a number of years and like it a lot. Similar to what you have currently, but zip-in liner under the mesh. Really not a problem for me as the mesh allows it to dry quickly in the wind once out of the rain. Of course the external mesh chest pockets become pretty useless when it rains.

I'm interested in what you settle on because I'm in the same boat.

·
Registered
23 Posts
I’m in Coastal VA as well and I’m rocking a Klim Badlands Pro. It does get a little warm, but the protection is worth it. The other nice thing is if it gets damaged in an accident they will replace the garment at no cost. I had an accident due to a horrible road and it was a no questions asked deal. I can’t say enough good things about Klim.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
117 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I’m in Coastal VA as well and I’m rocking a Klim Badlands Pro. It does get a little warm, but the protection is worth it. The other nice thing is if it gets damaged in an accident they will replace the garment at no cost. I had an accident due to a horrible road and it was a no questions asked deal. I can’t say enough good things about Klim.

I've been dragging my feet as I still haven't found a slam dunk win. I did pick up a Rukka 4air a few weeks ago but I ended up returning as the size wasn't quite right and they didn't have one in my size as it was a close out item. Seem like a great jacket and with the Gore-Tex liner I would probably push it deep into the fall and local winter commuting. But that's a null point since it's a discontinued item.

I was actually looking at the Badlands pro today in fact wondering if the massive venting they have on there would be semi-close to the mesh that I'm used to wearing all summer. I like the gore Tex and all the bells and whistles on there. You survive the summer fine? Do you feel the air on your body when you are moving with the vents open?

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk

·
Registered
23 Posts
I've been dragging my feet as I still haven't found a slam dunk win. I did pick up a Rukka 4air a few weeks ago but I ended up returning as the size wasn't quite right and they didn't have one in my size as it was a close out item. Seem like a great jacket and with the Gore-Tex liner I would probably push it deep into the fall and local winter commuting. But that's a null point since it's a discontinued item.

I was actually looking at the Badlands pro today in fact wondering if the massive venting they have on there would be semi-close to the mesh that I'm used to wearing all summer. I like the gore Tex and all the bells and whistles on there. You survive the summer fine? Do you feel the air on your body when you are moving with the vents open?

I use the Badlands Pro as a 4 season jacket out here. The air moves pretty well. The arm vents alone move a ton of air on the Multi. I switched to a shortie screen in the summer to get more airflow in the chest and that seems to help. Hot and humid is still hot and humid though not much you can do to escape it on a bike.

·
Registered
48 Posts
VaDuc,
I don't know if you've made a decision. I commute year round. Out here in Colorado, it's common to ride to work in the 50s and back in the 90s. I have two jackets that work all year.

One is the Olympia Dakar2, for max summer. It has tons of mesh, and the rain liner can be worn over the top. If it gets unexpectedly cold, or when riding up to the mountains, you can throw the rain liner on as a windblocker. Very nice.
It's basically the same as the Airglide5, but a little longer and with bottom pockets. If you want a short jacket, the Airglide5 would have the same advantages.

For three seasons (30-90*), the Sedici Avventura jacket works very well. It's waterproof, and comes with a thermal liner. It has zip vents on the arms, front shoulders, back, and front mesh panels that open up. It flows lots of air when moving, but on my Goldwing, there isn't quite enough airflow when it's in the 90s to 100s.
On 50* mornings, all the zips closed and it's quite comfy. Open the zips in the afternoon when it's 85, and life is good.

Hope this helps!

·
Registered
117 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I did actually finally snag something new. I decided since I was coming into summer I'd focus on max comfort for the few hottest months of the year.

Ended up getting a Rukka StretchAir. Premium priced but it has been great. Flows air like crazy. I have close to 3k miles with it including 1k of those in 95-100 degree weather the past few weeks.

If I crash in something I'd want it to be this. It's a beefy jacket, armor is confidence inspiring for sure.

It's definitely not a do all jacket. I finally just decided I would be happy with a 4 season jacket comfort wise in the summer. I'll be looking this fall for a cold weather jacket . Thinking about the new Revit Outback 3. Took me forever to land on my summer Rukka, probably won't be getting a cold weather jacket until January

1 - 14 of 14 Posts