Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,582 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The Paul Smart Replica is a bit of good news and bad news. Good news: the bike is getting some very good press. Bad news: Ducati has limited itself to only 2,000 copies. Are Ducati sales so spectacular they *need* an upper limit?

Interestingly enough, another huge milestone in Ducati history is coming up in a little over a year - the 30th anniversary of Cook Neilson's Daytona win. So why not a "Cook Neilson" replica to mark the occasion?

Cook is far better known than Smart, due not only to his Daytona triumph - a win far more relevant to most of the world than the lesser-publicised win at the Imola track - but also due to the fact that he was perhaps "the" leading moto-journalist of his day and the one did as much as anyone other than the Berliner brothers to popularize the marque in the US.

So why shouldn't the next few months bring the announcement of an upcoming "Cook Neilson Replica" in the next few months? A factory "race kit" with a set of high-comp pistons, some racier cams and louder pipes could bump the price to $20k plus. You heard it here first.

Of course, the MH replica has been done, but 2008 will mark the thirtieth anniversary of Mike the Bike's historic Isle of Man win, so why not an "IOM Replica" the year after that? Or better still, a "Mike the Bike Replica"? All the above-mentioned parts along with a few specially-lightened bits sprinkled here and there plus the "Mike the Bike" name (actually licensed from the family this time, fancy that) might even pump the price somewhat north of $30k.

You clowns at DNA really *should* pay attention. It's only sales we're talking about here. And 2,000 bikes at $30,000 apiece IS $60 million. ;)
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,557 Posts
Replicas ad nauseum

How about a bike that is forward-looking instead of looking always in the rear view mirror? Oh, but that might require some real product creativity. Forget that.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,393 Posts
Ducati is building 2,000 copies of the PS because there are only about that many people who can/will/are interested, in who Paul Smart is. Unlikely that they could get that many number for a Cook Neilson replica even in the US.

Sorry to be so cynical, but all of this reliance on Baby Boomer nostalgia has some limit, no ?


MikeM said:
The Paul Smart Replica is a bit of good news and bad news. Good news: the bike is getting some very good press. Bad news: Ducati has limited itself to only 2,000 copies. Are Ducati sales so spectacular they *need* an upper limit?

Interestingly enough, another huge milestone in Ducati history is coming up in a little over a year - the 30th anniversary of Cook Neilson's Daytona win. So why not a "Cook Neilson" replica to mark the occasion?

Cook is far better known than Smart, due not only to his Daytona triumph - a win far more relevant to most of the world than the lesser-publicised win at the Imola track - but also due to the fact that he was perhaps "the" leading moto-journalist of his day and the one did as much as anyone other than the Berliner brothers to popularize the marque in the US.

So why shouldn't the next few months bring the announcement of an upcoming "Cook Neilson Replica" in the next few months? A factory "race kit" with a set of high-comp pistons, some racier cams and louder pipes could bump the price to $20k plus. You heard it here first.

Of course, the MH replica has been done, but 2008 will mark the thirtieth anniversary of Mike the Bike's historic Isle of Man win, so why not an "IOM Replica" the year after that? Or better still, a "Mike the Bike Replica"? All the above-mentioned parts along with a few specially-lightened bits sprinkled here and there plus the "Mike the Bike" name (actually licensed from the family this time, fancy that) might even pump the price somewhat north of $30k.

You clowns at DNA really *should* pay attention. It's only sales we're talking about here. And 2,000 bikes at $30,000 apiece IS $60 million. ;)
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
41 Posts
Cook What?

I'm sorry to say I am semi-familiar with Paul Smart, but I have no idea who Cook Nielson is. Did he race around the same time as Paul?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,393 Posts
Let me state this as succinctly as possible-

Paul Smart won Imola, which was known in those days as the "Daytona of Europe". Cook Nielsen actually won Daytona.

(Unlike today, in those days Daytona was as big a deal as any race course in Europe. Today, it is a wimpy little AMA event with a very confused future.)



gitarman said:
I'm sorry to say I am semi-familiar with Paul Smart, but I have no idea who Cook Nielson is. Did he race around the same time as Paul?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,441 Posts
rz33v4 said:
How about a bike that is forward-looking instead of looking always in the rear view mirror? Oh, but that might require some real product creativity. Forget that.
excuse me but is that not exactly what the press called the 999 when it was introduced.and from reading the euro press ,they will be doing well to sell all of the paul smart bikes.seems the markets not quite as receptive over there
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,582 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
bevel450 said:
Ducati is building 2,000 copies of the PS because there are only about that many people who can/will/are interested, in who Paul Smart is. Unlikely that they could get that many number for a Cook Neilson replica even in the US.

Sorry to be so cynical, but all of this reliance on Baby Boomer nostalgia has some limit, no ?
Based on my limited amount of empirical research on the subject, I can only conclude hell will freeze over (or maybe the polar icecaps will melt) long before *that* limit is ever reached.

They made a big deal of making "only 2000" of the mh900e's and they sold all 2,000. Eventually. IMO, had they *not* limited the number, they may have sold only 1,000 or 1,500. The *status* conferred by the ownership of something that's of "limited issue" (regardless of how artificial or arbitrary that limit might be) somehow seems to be a valuable inducement to a small percentage of us and 2,000 units *is* a small percentage....

Then, too, there are the more practical matters to be considered - the development costs of the current Retros for one - so why not use that frame for more than just the present bikes. They've got to sell *something*, don't they, and for some reason I don't think it will be the GT...
 

·
what's a Fly N Fink?
Joined
·
876 Posts
bevel450 said:
Sorry to be so cynical, but all of this reliance on Baby Boomer nostalgia has some limit, no ?
Nope, look at sales of the "new" Mustang and the excitement of the "new" Challanger as examples.. :confused:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
8,545 Posts
Style, like retro or nostalgia, come and go. It's a matter of aesthetic taste. Doesn't bother me. What I do care about is that the PS or the Mustang has been upgraded mechanically from the originals. Style can be whatever but the engineering and materials should be "modern", IMHO.

bruce19
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,393 Posts
quite correct kaos. and new product is always a gamble. big risk in bringing out a new style/design....and sometimes the customers then don't follow. that happens all the time in consumer goods.

i think the point here ( unless i have misinterpreted it badly ) is that Ducati needs something in the way of a simple lightweight bike, with great power. something that is more in the direction the Bimota interpretation.

seems to me that Ducati is unwilling to lighten their water cooled bikes enough to make that happen, and those of us who really dig a solid 110-115 hp and low wet weight ( well under 400lbs) are stuck out in the cold.

so my solution is pretty much as has been stated by others on this thread, OR, get the Supermono formula going again. this time with "half" the testastretta ( for say, 600 cc or so....oh hell, make it 750 cc's...remember the cases are stressed for much higher hp. ), and a nominal 100+hp), a small envelope, and about 350lbs wet. can you say "wow" ?

i would buy it in a heart beat especially with the original Terblanche body styling. in the canyons where i play, no 999 would be safe !

( if you aren't familiar with the Supermono design, do some search and check it out. good chance that you will dig it. a terrific concept that Ducati just won't develop into a new product.)




kaos said:
excuse me but is that not exactly what the press called the 999 when it was introduced.and from reading the euro press ,they will be doing well to sell all of the paul smart bikes.seems the markets not quite as receptive over there
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
3,120 Posts
gitarman said:
I'm sorry to say I am semi-familiar with Paul Smart, but I have no idea who Cook Nielson is. Did he race around the same time as Paul?
I didn't know who he was either. Sorry.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,393 Posts
Are we facing the end of western civilization here ?

What the heck ?????

Next time you are stuck at home, you might go to Amazon and get a few books on Ducati history.

Seems kind of weird to me that we toss the word "passion" around here without any significant knowledge of Ducati history. So here is your assignment. You may go the hard copy way via Amazon, or take it up with a few hours on the internet.

You should be prepared to answer the following questions:

Name the five greatest moments in Ducati racing in North America.

Name the five greatest moments in WSBK racing for Ducati.

Name five Ducati stylists/designers.

Name the top five Ducati engineers.

( If this makes your brain hurt, then clearly you need to sell the Duc and buy a Harley, ya dig ? )

So there you have it. A modest task for any Ducati rider that has ever used the word "passion" in the context of his bike.




geospencer said:
I didn't know who he was either. Sorry.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,582 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Ducati. Since 1926. ;)
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
41 Posts
Bevel,

I couldn't find the 5 engineers, but the 5 engines are Knucklehead, Panhead, Flathead, Shovelhead, and Evo right?:p
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
208 Posts
i'm familiar with cook nielson, but i don't remember him winning the daytona 200. he must have done it without letting the statisticians know about it. ha ha just kidding, i'm sure he won a race at daytona but not the big one.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
1,956 Posts
bevel450 said:
What the heck ?????

Next time you are stuck at home, you might go to Amazon and get a few books on Ducati history.

Seems kind of weird to me that we toss the word "passion" around here without any significant knowledge of Ducati history. So here is your assignment. You may go the hard copy way via Amazon, or take it up with a few hours on the internet.

You should be prepared to answer the following questions:

Name the five greatest moments in Ducati racing in North America.

Name the five greatest moments in WSBK racing for Ducati.

Name five Ducati stylists/designers.

Name the top five Ducati engineers.

( If this makes your brain hurt, then clearly you need to sell the Duc and buy a Harley, ya dig ? )

So there you have it. A modest task for any Ducati rider that has ever used the word "passion" in the context of his bike.
Sheesh, what has being a book worm got to do with Ducati 'passion'?

You can stick to your history books if you like, but I'm going outside to passionately ride my Duc for a while.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,393 Posts
HJ,

Thanks for pointing out that there were several classes running at Daytona that year, and not just the main event, the 200 miler.

The Imola race that Paul Smart won was regarded as a superbike race. Likewise, the race that Cook Nielson won was the AMA superbike race.
This makes for a nice 'apples to apples' comparision of the bikes, doesn't it ?

BTW, I am not sure how the lap times between the 200 and the Superbike race compare. Did you check those as well ? That could be interesting.

Thanks,


harleyjohn45 said:
i'm familiar with cook nielson, but i don't remember him winning the daytona 200. he must have done it without letting the statisticians know about it. ha ha just kidding, i'm sure he won a race at daytona but not the big one.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,393 Posts
Just guessing, but I think you have the wrong site.


gitarman said:
Bevel,

I couldn't find the 5 engineers, but the 5 engines are Knucklehead, Panhead, Flathead, Shovelhead, and Evo right?:p
 
1 - 20 of 39 Posts
Top