Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,

I am currently working on a colored wiring diagram for the GT 1000, because I think the black and white diagram on the DVD is §%&[email protected]

I have two or three points where I'm a little confused, I would like to ask some questions.

Do you think I am allowed to post it here (it's based on the Ducati DVD manual)?

Peter

·
Registered
133 Posts
Color makes a big difference for the electrically challenged. I've a couple of norton commandos and the color schematic I got off eBay really simplified things for me

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Okay, here is the diagram.

As I mentioned, I have some questions to ask.

I put some pink "electric" arrows to the points where I'm confused, and I enlarged the wires which say they start with one color but end with another.

Does somebody know what could be right?

Every problematic point has a number, so it's easier to talk about ...

Peter

Attachments

·
Official Retired Person
7,168 Posts
I can't help answer your questions but that is an impressive piece of work. You've done a great job so far.

If I get the chance, I'll try to assist you in your effort.

·
Premium Member
2,883 Posts
I don't know what your problem is so...
1,2, & 3 are simply grounds so as long as they connect to the frame or battery negative lead you're fine.
Don't worry so much about the wire colors. Yeah, it's nice for trouble-shooting but generally a bright flashlight and a screwdriver (or a skinny finger) are all I need for tracing a wire. Also, if a color changes it may be due to a wire connector somewhere in the middle, maybe even another component.

It's interesting that motorcycle wiring diagrams are 'maps' compared to current track diagrams that are used in cars/trucks. I prefer the map style but have slowly learned the current track ones.

Now what you need to do is produce the wiring diagram WITHOUT your alterations for general consumption ;)

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I don't know what your problem is so...
1,2, & 3 are simply grounds so as long as they connect to the frame or battery negative lead you're fine.
I thought so. This means, Ducati uses black and black/green wires for the ground? This is strange ...

Don't worry so much about the wire colors. Yeah, it's nice for trouble-shooting but generally a bright flashlight and a screwdriver (or a skinny finger) are all I need for tracing a wire.
I don't know, perhaps my fingers are too fat. I like to have a coloured diagram ...

Now what you need to do is produce the wiring diagram WITHOUT your alterations for general consumption ;)
Will do, as soon as I know which colour the wires 5, 6, 7, 8 are ...

Peter

·
Premium Member
2,883 Posts
#8 is the oil temp sensor for the ECU. I peeled back my boot and it has a white wire and a black with purple strip wire. However, there is a color key in the shop manual and if you zoom in on the diagram you'll see the color codes. So they match. You should be able to take it from here.

I'm guessing black means ground. I know with my German cars brown wires mean ground.

Any way, here's the list from my manual:
Wiring colour codes
B = Blue
Bk = Black
Bn = Brown
G = Green
Gr = Grey
Lb = Light blue
O = Orange
P = Pink
R = Red
V = Violet
W = White
Y Yellow

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
#8 is the oil temp sensor for the ECU. I peeled back my boot and it has a white wire and a black with purple strip wire.
Now we are talking! Thanks, I will change this.

However, there is a color key in the shop manual and if you zoom in on the diagram you'll see the color codes.
ermm ... yes, I know that, this is how I made the plan.

The problem with #5 to #8 are inconsistent descriptions.

You say, that the wire at #8 is white, which matches the color code at the sensor, but on the other end of the wire, the code says black/green ...

This is why I posted my question: does somebody know the REAL colours?

#8 is solved ...

Peter

·
Premium Member
2,883 Posts
Please provide the wiring diagram key. Your GT is slightly different from my '06 monoposto.
What is #48? I know it's a relay but it's not in my wiring diagram.

·
Premium Member
2,883 Posts
#22 is the vertical (rear) cylinder. My bike's wiring is Green with Grey stripe and Brown with White stripe.

#21 is the horizontal (front) cylinder ("orizzontale" in Italian, thus why the letter "O" is on it). My bike's wiring is Blue with Grey stripe and Brown with White stripe.

Truth be told, the GREY stripe looks WHITE to me. Maybe with the dust and poor lighting it's a light grey and thus looks white. Anyway, colors match my diagram.

·
Registered
845 Posts
Any updates regarding this colorized wiring diagram?

I'm having a major PITA time reading my black and white diagram on my HTML service manual... Is there a pdf of the B/W wiring diagram?

1 - 14 of 14 Posts