Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My wife and I are traveling to Laguna Seca for the MotoGP races at the end of July. We are leaving from our home in Colorado and will be traveling the loneliest road in America, Hwy 50 for most of the trip. We will swing south in Nevada and go thru Yosemite NP instead of going over the hill to Sacramento.
It will be a grand time, hope others will ride thier Ducati's instead of trailering.
See you out on the road!

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
It will be grand, or my wife will bury me in the desert or leave me for the alians by Area 51:abduct:
Either way a trip to tell the grandkids.

·
Registered
1,600 Posts
A friend and I rode back to Calif. from an ST gathering in Torrey, Utah a few years back. We rode the "50" most of the way back through Nevada. Something really beautiful about the desolation. Really enjoyed the solitude. Make sure you take the old highway 50 loop after you leave Eureka (its about 40 miles going west). Here is a pic on that loop. You can ride for an hour and not pass a single car. Nice to cruise at autobahn speeds. Watch for the jack rabbits! Enjoy the ride.

Mike

Attachments

·
Registered
117 Posts
To Laguna Seca HWY 50

Hi Bashed, I've ridden HWY 50 several times but the last was most memorable. Was on my k1300GT cursing at 120 mph, had my radar on but all of a sudden it went full bars. Too late got caught by instant on radar. I did see a car approaching in the very distant horizon but who could have guessed it was a cop. I immediately pulled over and waited as the cruiser approach, past me pulled a u turn and stopped. Out steps a cop who looked like he stepped out of a Clint Eastwood movie. About 6'5" good looking and was named Charles Brown. He said with a smirk on "well I guess you decided to let her out a little." I guess so sir, my reply. I was so bored and it was so empty out here I guess I just forgot how fast i was really going. "well you seem like a pretty straight forward, honest guy so I'm going to cut you a bit of a break." so he walked me over to his open cruiser door and said have a look at his screen. It read 119mph. He said if I was only going 10 mph over the posted speed limit of 70 mph he wouldn't even bother me but exceeding the speed limit by 50 mph was just way too much. So he gave me a ticket for 100 which he said would save me about $200.00. I could mail it in, no appearance required and it still cost me $245.00. I found out later that officer Charlie Brown is the only cop around and covers about a 200 mile stretch. Either you miss him or you don't. Glad he didn't catch me when I was at 155 and told myself that's too much and backed it down to a comfortable 120. He's the same cop that gave the Top Gear folks all tickets when they were in the area testing out some hot cars.

Don't let this story spoil your fun, as I only mentioned it to add a little amusement. Always wanted to go to Laguna to see the races. Wish I was going with you. Enjoy and be safe. I'm sure it will be a grand trip!

·
Registered
725 Posts
I did the entire rt 50 through Nevada last year, it's pretty straightforward, just a pretty desolate stretch compared to Utah.

Some of the motels along the route leave much to be desired, the only motel I stayed in that I did not want to use the shower, I slept in my clothes on that bed, beware.

Only ticket I got on my 6500 mile trip was just west of Eurika by officer Minereti (SP?)

·
Registered
56 Posts
Father / Son ride to Laguna Seca

My son David and I rode to Monterey for the Laguna Seca MotoGP. We had the Ducati ticket package that gave us access to Ducati Island, seats in the Ducati section, and TWO laps around the raceway!!!

David rode from Dallas, TX to Golden, CO and we rode together to Laguna Seca and back - he is still on his way back to Dallas. He rode his 1998 900SS and I rode my 1999 ST4, and we took scenic routes all the way. It will be a 7,000 mile round trip for him.

Hiways 12 and 24 in Utah need to be on everybody's bucket list!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts