Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your bike HERE to be a part of this months Bike of the Month Challenge!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1,605 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Sister in-law races bicycles and wanted a ride on my ST4. She had never been on a duc before. Bike is in a cold garage (50 F), has been on a Lithium Battery charger in the "Store" mode for a few months. Went to start it, and it turned over very slow and dropped the voltage to where the clock reset to 0:00. It eventually started, but was surpised. Any one know if this is normal with Lithium Batteries when cold. Also, have replaced the starting circuit with Motolectric cables.

·
Super Moderator
5,382 Posts
True...at least not compared to what we're dealing with now.

I hear that when "cold," the LiFe batteries will do better if warmed before a starting attempt. Some folks have had luck turning on the headlight for a minute or two...then starting the bike. I know one guy who kept a 100 watt light bulb under the battery to give it a little extra warmth.

·
Premium Member
5,656 Posts
50? LOL! At 50 I'm still running outside in a tank top... By contrast, I just got back from a treadmill run, and I felt the need to "bundle up" for that! It's 9 degrees here right now!

"Store mode" on the Shorai charger is not full charge. Don't quote me on the number, but I believe it's something like 80%. My ST is on the charger in store mode right now. If I was going to start it today, I would reset the power connection and then set it to charge mode and wait for it to fully charge. At least that has been my experience for best results when starting at any temp. True on warming it up, however. That will help.

·
Vendor
547 Posts
Sister in-law races bicycles and wanted a ride on my ST4. She had never been on a duc before. Bike is in a cold garage (50 F), has been on a Lithium Battery charger in the "Store" mode for a few months. Went to start it, and it turned over very slow and dropped the voltage to where the clock reset to 0:00. It eventually started, but was surpised. Any one know if this is normal with Lithium Batteries when cold. Also, have replaced the starting circuit with Motolectric cables.
One (probable) issue is that the ambient temp was 50F but the temp of the cells in the battery was probably very close to the lowest temp the night before.

It takes a long time for the cells inside the battery case to get warmed up because they had all night to get cold and now just a few hours of warmer temp to warm up.

Best route to take is to turn on the key and if the lights come on (some ECUs keep the lights off until the bike starts) leave it there for about 30 seconds. The current flow does warm up the cells a bit and they do start better.

But 50F is at the lower edge of the happy range for the LiFePO4 the batteries.

That cold weather performance and the fact that they only have 33% of the current storage of their amp-hour equivalent rating are the 2 main hits against the LiFePO4 tech.

A 14 amp-hour lead-acid tech battery has 14,000 milliamps of stored energy.

A 14AH "equivalent" LiFePO4 has about 4620 milliamps of stored energy. The LiFePO4 makers calculate their rating based on how many cold cranking amps they can get out of a particular cell arrangement. If a 14AH lead-acid battery makes 260 CCA and their 4 cell unit makes 260 CCA they will rate it as a 14AH equivalent.

The lower storage capacity, the low temp issue, and the higher cost are the 3 negatives on the tech.

But the smaller/lighter battery is the high point.

The image below shows the drop in the capability of a lead-acid tech battery as the temp drops.

Obviously, a LiFePO4 is even worse. All SLA batteries are rated to be 100% at 77F.

Hope This Helps.

M./

Attachments

·
Premium Member
5,656 Posts
Found this in a description of the Shorai battery. You didn't say what battery or charger, I assumed Shorai because it has a dedicated charger available. I also assume any dedicated LFX charger would operate that same, but I could be wrong!

"The BMS01 Store Mode is specifically configured to maintain Shorai LFX batteries at their optimum levels during long term storage. When the Store mode is activated, the charger will bring the battery to an 80% level, and leave it there until the battery reaches 60%, at which point it will bring it back up to 80%. The 60-80% range is the ideal for LFX battery storage. The Charge mode of the BMS01 charger will bring the battery level up to 100% charge."

True then, if you were in storage mode, you were not fully charged. Likely at 80%.

Two things working against you. The cool temps and a battery that was not charged.

Reactions: ducatimike

·
Administrator
12,913 Posts
Jessica's new KTM came with a Lithium battery. The manual states that in cold weather to press the starter for 5 seconds then wait 30 seconds and repeat. The manual says it may take several times of doing this to warm the cells in the battery to be ready to start the motor.

Here is a someone using the technique on a Harley:

·
Registered
1,322 Posts
To answer your question in a word; Yes.

That was my experience as well.

On a truly cold morning (37F) for the 1st time ever my Lithium battery didn't start the engine with VIGOR. Rather on the 1st attempt it felt DEAD; turning over very slowly. I can't deny it didn't turn into a pucker moment. By accident I did the same procedure (almost; I basically warmed up the battery by turning ingition ON) Scott posted. I attempted to start it, NO GO. Left the ignition ON for 5min or so and came back again and it turned over a lil better and finally turned ON.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts