Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys,
I have a 98 748 Duc that takes forever to warm up. I can set the "choke" and let it run/idle for 10 mins plus . When I return the "choke" to the normal position, the bike runs 15 to 20 secs..then dies. You would think it would have ample time to warm up.

When I do get it running and hot, the bike does the same thing from a warm start. It acts like its cold.

The bike has a "power commander ecu", been fuel mapped and dyno'd as well.

Any suggestions,tips or advice ??

TIA
748duc

·
Registered
2,478 Posts
Does it ever run normally? That is, does it ever get warm enough so that it is happy and doesn't stall when sitting?

Air celaner recently serviced?

My guess is that it is running lean and/or the idle is set quite low.

·
Registered
120 Posts
I had the opposite happen after an engine rebuild I did myself. That is, with the choke on it would rev higher than normal (before the rebuild). I can't remember exactly, but I believe the problem was that I had the throttle cable opening the butterfly valves a little too much, thus when the choke is on the are open even more. I wonder if you have the opposite problem? Like someone else said, the idle is set too low?

·
Registered
76 Posts
i also own a 98 748 that did the same thing but not to that extent. it idled around 900 rpm, i thought that was too low and turned it up to about 1100 rpm, no more stalling!!
as far as taking forever to warm up.... uh.... bad sending unit??? bad thermostat???

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Hey guys,

Thanks for the advice. I was away from the forum for a few days. I appreciate your input. I'll take your suggestions and look it over. When it is running....it runs fine...no stalling, spitting , etc....its just cold blooded. I may try to bump it up a fraction and see what happens.

Thanks,
748duc

·
Registered
285 Posts
Check the plugs after you have had it running for a minute of two, are they black or white?

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #9 (Edited)
Hi,

I haven't checked the plugs but will definitely do so. I took the bike out today and noticed that after the "temp" reached 150 plus degs, the bike would start and idle - no problem.

Guess, I'll go back outside and pull the plugs....

Thanks,

748duc

1 - 9 of 9 Posts