Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,455 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This relates to my race bike, a 2006 Sport 1000 with WASP PUK intakes and fuel map, with an Arrow 2-1. Kickstand is removed with a jumper in the connector. Clutch interlock has been broken for ages but I always start it in neutral so no problem.

The bike has an issue starting from cold. Battery is a Shorai 14 which isn't really enough, so from dead cold I sometimes have to boost it with one of those portable power packs. No problem. It then runs fine warming up on the stands, for a while. However, once it starts to get warm, it will suddenly stall, usually throwing an engine light, but there is never a stored code. So, I end up restarting it multiple times. It will run for 10 s to maybe 2 min, then stall again. Restart, stall, restart, repeat...until it is fully warmed up and then it is fine.

This routine used to only happen in the morning when it was really cold and maybe damp. Now it will happen even midday if the bike has cooled off completely again from a morning run.

I am thinking some kind of sensor is to blame but am not sure where to start. I have a VDST that I can use for diagnosis, but like I said there is usually no code. Is there a test for the engine temperature sensor on the horizontal head? What about the one on the oil screen plug? Crank position sensor? Air temp / pressure sensor in the nose? Gimme some ideas fellas.

·
Registered
162 Posts
Tight valves will cause starting issues, specifically cold starts and this does get worse over time especially on a track bike which is run at peak RPMs.

If you haven't checked the clearances recently it might be worth a quick look.

·
Registered
37 Posts
My Story with Cold Start

I used to have same problem.
When cold problem and after warm up problem gone.

My problem was STEPPER MOTOR it was completly disconnected. So when I connect pipes with stepper motor no more problem.
Now when cold... No problem :D But thats my story and maybe help for someone, who knows... Good luck

·
Registered
821 Posts
Mine has nearly the same problem, but a little different. I have no troubles with the battery or needing a jump, but it often stalls just after start. It hardly ever does it in the morning, but does it really badly when leaving work in the late afternoon. FWIW it did it before I installed the wasp PUK, and it also does it afterwards.

·
Registered
1,125 Posts
May need to be richened up a bit. I have the Termi map, but it was still too lean IMHO.

·
Premium Member
2,455 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks for all of this input folks. Probably it is worth mentioning that it is not a case of the bike running poorly at idle while it warms up, like the typical stumbling and near-stalling. It runs nice and clean and strong at idle within a few seconds of being started, but then as it warms up and is still idling strongly, it just very suddenly and immediately stalls for no apparent reason. That makes me think it is not likely to be the fueling, and probably not the valves either. FWIW I did the valve clearances last winter so probably only 1000 km or so on it since (all track).

Fast idle circuit stepper motor is an interesting suggestion...but again I can't quite fathom how it would cause these symptoms unless it was just very suddenly doing something super weird...which I think it could in response to a weird temp or pressure reading, right?

Just thinking out loud here.

·
Registered
1,466 Posts
I know these bikes have to have a strong battery. I had to replace mine three times before I got one that works well.
You might try another battery or test it just for grins . I can't remember what it's supposed to read off hand though.

·
Registered
1,125 Posts
I know these bikes have to have a strong battery. I had to replace mine three times before I got one that works well.
You might try another battery or test it just for grins . I can't remember what it's supposed to read off hand though.
I suspect that he's not running lights on a race bike. They take a lot of power. I've found that just enough to start the bike...I'm not going to bump start anymore at my age...works fine.

·
Registered
693 Posts
The stepper having done its job for warming up may be shutting the air off when closing so open the bleed screw a tad to maintain idle.

·
Premium Member
2,455 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Update...

Hi all - I gleaned from one of Brad Black's posts on another thread that my problem might be the crank position sensor (rotation sensor). I swapped that out and it seems to have fixed it. It is 5 C and damp here today, and my little 14 Ah Shorai LiFePo battery just fired it right up, and then it warmed up to operating temperature without stalling. Never would have done that in those weather conditions last season.

Just though I should post this for the benefit of anyone else who has similar issues. If the problem comes back I'll post again.

Thanks!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts