Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your bike HERE to be a part of this months Bike of the Month Challenge!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Since new I’ve had an issue with cold starts, anytime the air temp is below about 65 degrees(18 Celsius) the bike will start and run rough with the rpm jumping around then die. A twist of the throttle or trying to hold the rpm up around 1800-2000 with the throttle usually doesn’t help. As soon as I release the throttle it dies. Sometimes it’s only once sometimes I go through this twice before it will idle smoothly.

I found a few days ago while playing with the suspension settings and the bike not running that it started up and ran smoothly immediately. So I experimented with turning the ignition on and leaving it without starting while I put my helmet and gloves on(30 or so seconds), it starts perfect every time. Been doing this for five days now with morning temps around 38-40 degrees(3-4 Celsius).

It also seems like the bike is overall smoother and more responsive to the throttle.

Joe

·
Retired Pipe Polisher C2H6O+
19,081 Posts
Lithium batteries just won't turn the motor over to start when too cold. I don't think it would have anything to do with how it runs AFTER it starts.

·
Premium Member
1,950 Posts
Yeah I've heard Li-ion like to be keyed on for a little while to 'wake them up' but the throttle response thing after it's been started sounds like placebo.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
No lithium ion battery. I think it just takes a bit of time for all the sensors to report in and the computer to set the idle stepper motor. It has nothing to do with how fast it cranks over, or fires up.

·
Retired Pipe Polisher C2H6O+
19,081 Posts
I keep a fairly fresh dead chicken in my garage. When one of my Ducati’s are running ruff I shake the chicken over it and, dude, it’s magic.

Don’t work on my KTM’s. :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

·
Registered
1,329 Posts
I keep a fairly fresh dead chicken in my garage. When one of my Ducati’s are running ruff I shake the chicken over it and, dude, it’s magic.

Don’t work on my KTM’s. :)
With the KTM you need to use just a bag of dried chicken bones. BUT, you need to be wearing goat leggings.

·
Premium Member
4,254 Posts
Letting the fuel pump cycle to get pressure up does help with the cold start issue... I thought I'd solved it with that too but on my bike it still does it on occasion (not as frequently).

Reactions: thewalk and AXSPwr

·
Sophomore Member
3,192 Posts
With the KTM you need to use just a bag of dried chicken bones. BUT, you need to be wearing goat leggings.
Where were you 6 months ago?!?! I tried the regular ol Ducati chicken trick, and the KTM gave me the middle finger.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Letting the fuel pump cycle to get pressure up does help with the cold start issue... I thought I'd solved it with that too but on my bike it still does it on occasion (not as frequently).
This is quite helpful. Fuel pump pressure was my first thought as well when it happened to me. I just trained myself to wait a few seconds before starting.:nerd:

1 - 10 of 10 Posts