Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Went to start my 2004 800ss last week and started up perfectly. (As usual) Got up to operating temp then turned it off. Soon after decided I wanted to take it home to wash it. I have to park the bike about a block away. ( dam hoa’s ) Went to start it and no humm from fuel pump or whatever makes that sound. Pushed the start button and turns over but won’t start. So long story short. Took off fuel tank took it home. Took the fuel pump assembly out and cleaned everything and hooked the fuel pump up to 12V and working fine. Also checked relays and seem to work fine. Hear the clicking. Also checked all fuses and all good. New battery as well. Put everything back together on the bike. Added some fuel. Put the key to on and herd humming sound as usual and started it just fine. 2-4 minuets latter turned it off added more fuel then tried to start it again and same problem as before. No humm and turns over but no start. What should I do next. I’m a diy guy and don’t want to pay out for what I can do with a little help from you guys/gals.

·
Registered
7,104 Posts
Clutch switch, kick stand switch, neutral switch may cause it. Bad fuel pump relay could cause it. Next time it doesn’t run, swap it and see. On mine, the wiring looked like it was ok, but the wiring was pulled out just enough to make poor contact at the fuse block. I pushed the wire back into every connector on the bike. I cleaned every connection I could find, including Ecu, fuses, relays, grounds. When I was done, no more problems. Nothing looked bad, but obviously some connections needed cleaning. Fuel pump wire could have bad connections, broken wire.

·
Premium Member
5,149 Posts
Your bike also came with an immobilizer, make sure it did not lock you out due to time spent with key on but not starting. What I mean is if you leave the key on but do not start the bike within a certain amount of time it will lock you out and not start.

The first test is to remove the keys from the transponder antenna area for a minute or two and then re-introduce it. I often tell customers to remove the key and hold it at arms length above their head, then make three counter-clockwise circles around the bike while chanting I love Ducati. Then re-install the key and more often than not the bike starts right up, fun to picture the responses you get when it does work.

With an immobilizer bike you never want to have the key on without starting because this will happen, it is always the easiest one to test for so I check it first.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts