Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your bike HERE to be a part of this months Bike of the Month Challenge!

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just getting this mike broken-in. Two days now, it hasn't started before at least 6-7 attempts. Cranking strong but not firing.

Right about the time where I am thinking I'll need to push it back up my driveway, it sputters to life, dies, and does that routine 3-4 times before settling-in to an idle. Hassle.

I've read about throttle position sensor issues and the notion of letting the fuel pump "cycle" before starting. I always let everything boot-up for 10-20 seconds.

Anyone else have this issue on a brand-new Enduro 1200?

·
Registered
41 Posts
I had similar issue with my 2017 1200S. The way I got around it initially was to turn on the ignition, then open the throttle all the way and close it, then start the engine (without touching the throttle again). This always worked for me.

There was supposedly an ECU update a few months ago to address this problem but it didn’t make much difference to my bike.

Now that warmer weather is here (in the Southern Hemisphere) I’ve found that it will start from cold without my “pre-start” procedure. Maybe because I’m getting close to 10000km on it the engine is “freeing” up?

If you forget to twist the throttle first you have to “reset” things by turning it all off for 3 or 4 minutes (a long time when you want to get going!), then give it another go.

FWIW I’ve never had this problem on my Panigale 1299S...

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I had similar issue with my 2017 1200S. The way I got around it initially was to turn on the ignition, then open the throttle all the way and close it, then start the engine (without touching the throttle again). This always worked for me.

There was supposedly an ECU update a few months ago to address this problem but it didn’t make much difference to my bike.

Now that warmer weather is here (in the Southern Hemisphere) I’ve found that it will start from cold without my “pre-start” procedure. Maybe because I’m getting close to 10000km on it the engine is “freeing” up?

If you forget to twist the throttle first you have to “reset” things by turning it all off for 3 or 4 minutes (a long time when you want to get going!), then give it another go.

Thanks! I laughed at myself the first time it happened as I found myself treating it like one of my old carbureted machines...giving it a “shot” with the throttle then trying to fire. Ha. Not a great strategy with a fuel injection system, eh?

But I’ll def give that a go...or maybe I need to just go get a Panigale!! Voot.

·
Registered
270 Posts
How long has this gone on? Have you checked your gas? I don't mean bad but correct for your temps... You need to have high RVP gas during the winter months (Higher Pressure) in order for it to vaporize and burn. If you have gas at a lower RVP (5.8-10.0) you may have starting issues. During the winter months at least 13.0-15.0 is preferable.

·
Premium Member
4,255 Posts
leave it to Ducati to make a modern FI bike act like a 30YO carbureted one.

That sounds a bit different than what my bike used to do. I've not tried the "give it a full throttle shot before cranking", but what's been reliable for me on cold days was to "crack the throttle just a bit".

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
How long has this gone on? Have you checked your gas? I don't mean bad but correct for your temps... You need to have high RVP gas during the winter months (Higher Pressure) in order for it to vaporize and burn. If you have gas at a lower RVP (5.8-10.0) you may have starting issues. During the winter months at least 13.0-15.0 is preferable.

Yeah, interesting point. In CO the higher RVP fuel blends for winter months are just now rolling-out I believe and with the very cold nights and warm days, starting after sitting in a 28 degree (F) garage then starting to crank, it would benefit from a higher evaporation point.

No idea what the actual RVP difference is between these ethanol-loaded fuels for “summer” vs “winter” blends. Makes some sense though.

I’ll burn through this tank (probably a month-old) and see what happens with a fresh...maybe higher RVP...tank.

·
Premium Member
177 Posts

That's very interesting. I don't know about 2017 FI, but with previous generations of FI, opening and closing the throttle with the ignition on and the motor not running would reset the TPS, which is something that you needed to do if the battery was disconnected for example.

I'm wondering if the root cause here is some combination of TPS, fuel, and is there a throttle body sync on modern bikes?

·
Premium Member
4,255 Posts
I'm wondering if the root cause here is some combination of TPS, fuel, and is there a throttle body sync on modern bikes?
I know that for my bike, replacing the TPS cured 95% of the issue... now it only happens when it's cold out, the bike has been left outside, and generally has sat for at least a couple days.

·
Premium Member
177 Posts
Here's some perspective on starting: I parked my bike nine weeks ago when I broke my foot, left it plugged into a battery minder. When I parked it, I'd just returned from a long trip, it was warm, and we were still running summer gas.

Fast forward to yesterday, foot healed enough to take a ride. It's 35 degrees and very damp. I'm worried about that stale summer gas that's been sitting there for over two months. Hit the ignition, and boom, started immediately and ran fine.

I know 2016 != 2014, but these extreme starting rituals suggest that there is something wrong with the bikes, and I'd sure start with the TPS, either resetting it or having it replaced.

·
Registered
188 Posts
My 2015 1200S takes 3-4 attempts when temps less than about 55 degrees and sitting for more than 8 hours. I comes to life instantly but surges once or twice then dies.

·
Registered
372 Posts
Just getting this mike broken-in. Two days now, it hasn't started before at least 6-7 attempts. Cranking strong but not firing.

Right about the time where I am thinking I'll need to push it back up my driveway, it sputters to life, dies, and does that routine 3-4 times before settling-in to an idle. Hassle.

I've read about throttle position sensor issues and the notion of letting the fuel pump "cycle" before starting. I always let everything boot-up for 10-20 seconds.

Anyone else have this issue on a brand-new Enduro 1200?
I have had the exact issues with my 2017S especially since termi full and ECU change. I’m hoping and praying the map update combined with the factory hose recall will improve cold starting (I’m aware it’s a coolant hose thingy) the dealership and Ducati Canada Rep will stop at no barriers to find a permanent solution!

It only happens in cool weather.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Cold!

I just moved from CA to N.C. It's in the teens here right now! Bike is being shipped. I let you know how the whole cold start thing works in a couple of weeks. Wish me luck!

·
Premium Member
876 Posts
If you don't have an idle lever or you can't find a position on it where the bike will start with authority, slowly twist the throttle after the starter starts turning. Don't twist it before. That's really the only way a bike is going to start if it is starting so weakly that it dies. If your bike is new enough to have an idle air control valve, the system should do basically the same thing. It's usually not a good idea to touch the throttle if you have an ACV. You might be able to increase the mixture by blocking the intake a little in very cold conditions.

·
Registered
372 Posts
Ducati sucks at times! Still NO friggin permanent solution no re mapping, no solution. It is obvious this is a very very common problem. Disappointing!

I’m gonna ask for a new starter and battery under warranty next year as a result!

·
Registered
27 Posts
OK, so my bike was finally delivered by the shipper to me, and that is another whole story, I will never have a new motorcycle shipped again, all I can say is steer clear of Wolverine Cycle Logistics. If you want to have a laugh at my expense youtube

Now back to the bike starting in cold weather. I left the bike outside last night with just a cover on it (as a test) it dropped to 32 degree last night, and was 40 degree when I went outside and started the bike up. Guess what? she started, yes a little cold & slow, but started with just one stab on the starter button, engine turned over about 3-4 times before firing up. A little slower than normal. So looks like I maybe able to ride in the cold weather here in N.C. I rode into work today and the air temp was 45, itwas actually OK. A pleasant crisp feel to riding in Socal.

So, next step is to find some decent hand guards.

·
Registered
27 Posts
At the moment I'm running Motul 7100 10/40W. In the summer in Socal I was running Motul 300V 15/50W I've not noticed any difference in starting with either oil to be honest.

Although the 300V has a lovely smell and amazing color for a while. Stuff is slippery as all get out.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Speedkelly, I give you tons of credit for not coming completely unglued. This is exactly why I hesitate to trust anyone with my property. No one seems to care. Im with you 100% on the dusting and can not even begin to understand why he wouldn't just leave your motorcycle alone and let you take it. If it were me I probably would have reacted in a much more confrontational manner possibly even forced him away from it. Hope you get some compensation for the incompetence of that shipper.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Yeah, they was a lot going on there. This shipper was a hot head. Not playing with a full deck up top. Also he was from Texas (no disrespect to Texans, more to do with gun laws), lots of threats of violence before I took out my phone. I also had a funny feeling he was packing heat. Just was not worth the risk. Yeah, sucks for me. I was upset yesterday. Now just put it down to dealing with a psycho. Wish I done some research on the company first. Lots of reviews out there were similar motorcyclists have had to deal with his unplesantness. Lots of people ripped off. If you ever need a bike shipped, just do your reseach first. Plus let your friends know to stay away from this shipper.

Next time I'll just ride the bike across country. Just with work and the holidays I never had the time free to do so.

Still makes for a amusing few moments on youtube.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts