Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a '07 GT1000 (Sofia) that lives in a garage in Chicago. I did not start the bike in a months due to biz trips. So tonight I am headed out with the guys and figure I would fire her up. It's about 20° tonight and she takes a bit to start, but does. I ride about a mile in the city and she is running fine.

After a few hours sitting outside in the cold, she won't start. the battery is about 1-2 years old and still in good shape, but the cold took enough out of her to not allow the auto start to turn over.

Do you think if I plug in my trickle charge for 30min+, I will be able to fire her up again in the morning? I had to leave her at the bar tonight. I found an outside outlet by the bar.

Sent from my iPhone using Motorcycle.com Free App

·
Premium Member
978 Posts
What kind of battery? I think I recall reading that the LiFe and similar (LiPo, etc.) do not do so well as standard battery in cold conditions. I also saw reading a post where someone mentioned turning on your headlights for about 15-20 minutes will draw current and the battery should warm up a little bit, perhaps enough to let you start the bike. Some batteries once the voltage (which may not be the problem here, but TBD) gets too low, they j ust never recover.

·
Premium Member
1,389 Posts
What do you expect after not spending time with her for months, then leaving her outside on a 20 degree F Chicago night? Surprised she didn't get another guy to take her home to his garage!

;)

If the battery isn't a Lithium one, and the overnight charge doesn't work...then bring a new battery with you (along with some roses...or bling to make her feel better).

Tmnstr

P.S. Don't forget the anti-Drive Drunking switch on the right side controls. Figured I'd mention it since it's been a while.

Sent from my Motorcycle iPhone app

·
Registered
1,125 Posts
If you ran down the battery getting the bike started, riding a mile in stop and go Chicago traffic would not sufficiently recharge the battery.

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Well I showed up this morning with my trickle charger. Gave it a few minutes and same thing. The vet office was nice enough to let me push her into their gangway and plug her in for the day. I will give her another try at 3pm.:(

Yeah, a mile is just not enough to get her charged up after her nap. I changed out the battery about 2-3 years ago. It is a standard battery as far as I know.

Ahh the adventures I go through:rolleyes:

·
Registered
340 Posts
Unlikely. Since it won't turn over it's more likely the battery. Ethanol laced fuel doesn't help matters either, especially if it's been sitting at cold temperatures.

·
Registered
245 Posts
What do you expect after not spending time with her for months, then leaving her outside on a 20 degree F Chicago night? Surprised she didn't get another guy to take her home to his garage!

If the battery isn't a Lithium one, and the overnight charge doesn't work...then bring a new battery with you (along with some roses...or bling to make her feel better).

P.S. Don't forget the anti-Drive Drunking switch on the right side controls. Figured I'd mention it since it's been a while.
:D Best post ever! :D

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter #10

;)

Tmnstr

Sent from my Motorcycle iPhone app
Tmnstr, I also whispered to her that I will buy her a Prada saddle bag and she fired right up. Just like the wife.

Sent from my iPhone using Motorcycle.com Free App

1 - 11 of 11 Posts