Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your bike HERE to be a part of this months Bike of the Month Challenge!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So... '95 900 motor..

But on chilly mornings (below ~50 degrees F) my sprag won't grip, and the starter just spins unweighted....

A couple of times I've put the bike in gear and rocked it a bit back and forth, to 'reset' the sprag position and it'll work sometimes. But usually I have to go park the bike in the sun and come back when the temps have warmed up a bit. Then zero issue and the bike starts right up.

This is also the case once the bike is warmed up-- no problems with the sprag gripping.

So my question is- (while it seems like a new sprag is going to be needed) but why would the temps dictate if it grips or not???

·
Registered
1,288 Posts
Thick oil can cause starting issues due to the additional drag. Most likely the sprag spring is getting tired and the dogs are worn. Sometimes you can shorten the spring to add tension but look at the surfaces the dogs engage, they wear too.

·
Premium Member
2,496 Posts
Do you have the heavier duty starter wiring kit? If not - then at least go over all your earth connections, and sand the paint off the frame at the battery/frame and frame/engine connections. Clean the terminals of the leads as well, and give a very light wipe of vaseline, then bolt back up. If you can, add an extra earth lead directly from the battery to the engine. This will add some extra 'ooomph' to your starter when you hit the button (read, reduce the voltage drop at the starter), which should help with getting things to engage.

·
Premium Member
5,203 Posts
If the oil is thick or the bike has been setting for a long period you can get a free wheeling clutch. If it works fine but starts to do this more frequently or at warmer temperatures you are facing worn out parts. If you run one to the point of destruction your parts count will grow as the surfaces the clutch grips on will get beat up and then you need to change them as well.

Bottom line is do not worry so much if it is just on first start up with a cold motor that has been setting for a while but if it is happening more often start getting ready for a tear down and parts swap.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts