Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
B

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ive been riding my Hyper around this winter in NYC. The temps are starting to hit the teens now. I have been riding about 30-45 minutes a few times a day here going back and forth from work. I just got a nice pair of waterproof Rukka pants which are incredible, alpine stars smx plus goretex boots which keep my feet nice and warm, and for my jacket, i wear a down RAB jacket under my leather ducati jacket and it keeps me warm. On top of that i have a Revit baclava which won't let any rain or wind hit my neck. All of this is great and keeps me plenty warm on my 15 degree ride to work the other day. NOW, my hands aren't doing so well. I just got a pair of Revit Fusion gloves which the store i got them from swore by but my hands were doing so well even with heated grips. The insides were fine but the trips of my hands were freezing. Is my next step putting hand guards on?

Any help from anyone else riding in the teens or single digits?

·
Registered
174 Posts
I'd take the route of looking at what bicyclists do in the winter. Alot of them have "Pogies" on their handlebars. Basically a windproof fabric cover to go over the handlebar controls. All you need to make the grips do their job effectively is to get your hands as close to them as possible, while still keeping the cold wind out.

·
Registered
2000 M900Sie, 2003 Aprilia RSV Mille-R, 2x 1981Guzzi Monzas, IWL Pity, Piaggio Hexagon, PX Vespa
526 Posts
I have a pair of "Vulcan" fingered gloves that i bought in XXL (I am normally an L), and i wear these over a pair of light wollen gloves. I have a 30 min ride to work and they are good down to 15deg F.

Bar mits or guards is the next step. Or the U-Bahn. :D

Chris

·
Registered
406 Posts
Electrics are really the way to go. I have a jacket liner and glove liner and I can be either warm or toast. It really is a game changer.

My Layering is: thin stretch athletic top, electric liner, winter jacket. If you wear an insulating base layer you'll negatively affect the efficiency of the electric liner. My base layer essentially just keeps the liner from my skin.

gloves: electric liner, any glove I like - just one size larger. I also have the hand guards - strada - and they keep the wind off your hands.

·
Registered
588 Posts
Once you ride with heated liners you will never go back.

I have an electric jacket liner, gloves and pants liner. I can wear lighter jackets and pants so I don't feel as restricted as when I had layers on. Even in summer on long rides I'll carry the jacket liner for cold nights or sudden cold at altitude.

Really, there is nothing like it. Don't suffer, just ride.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts