Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
510 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've got good summer gear and good winter gear. But what do you wear under mesh pants on cold mornings when the temps later in the day are going to be hot? Or do you just find a place to remove your base layers? It would be nice to not have to remove my boots or find a place to strip down. Or maybe just bearing the cold morning for a couple hours is the best thing?

My mesh pants have a wind/rain liner that can be worn over the mesh pants, which is great. Which I can easily remove as temps go up. But not sure that is enough on colder mornings. Would like to hear what others do.

Thanks.

·
Registered
47 Posts
How cold is it in the morning, and how long would you have to tough it out? Normally I've just got jeans on with long baseball socks underneath my boots. Granted, I only ride for about 30 minutes to work, and it's rarely below 45 degrees, but that seems to do the job without getting too cold for the short ride. If I was to go for a longer ride, I have some under armour thermal leggings that always get me through cold days outside. They're skin tight which make them easily fit under any kind of pants, but made from fairly thick material. You should be able to get a pair at any sporting goods store for about $50-$60, although you may have to shop online this time of year.

·
Registered
510 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Probably low 50's at freeway speed for at least an hour. On the upper end, low 90's. This would be for all day rides.

I did a 300 mile ride a couple weekends ago where I had a similar temp swing. I used merino wool thermals underneath my mesh pants, and my wind/rain liner over my pants. The ride started around 8 am, by 11, i had taken off the wind/rain liner. By 1, I was getting over heated and wished I could have easily taken off my base layer.

I just found a base layer made by Dainese called D-Core. This looks like what I need. Has warming and cooling properties.

·
Registered
47 Posts
As cool as it is to have a moto brand on everything, nobody is going to see that the tag underneath your pants. Never tried the Dianese stuff, but it seems like you're usually buying the brand name. I would check out nike or under armour who are known for their performance wear in all weather conditions, but just my .02

·
Registered
510 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
As cool as it is to have a moto brand on everything, nobody is going to see that the tag underneath your pants. Never tried the Dianese stuff, but it seems like you're usually buying the brand name. I would check out nike or under armour who are known for their performance wear in all weather conditions, but just my .02
Just to post a follow up. I took the following advice and decided to look at what Nike, Under Armour, REi and a couple of other brands had to offer. There was no comparable product to the D-Core stuff from Dainese. I did find something that was close from UA, but it was a lot more costly than the Dainese stuff. Any performance gear the fitness companies offer is just as pricey if not more so than the moto gear.

For typical wicking keep cool stuff, I get what's at Target. Works good enough. So I am all about not caring about labels. But sometimes the name brand stuff is all there is.

·
Registered
34 Posts
i use skiing base layer gear for warmth and wicking and strip it off if its going to be hotter than 80 for extended time. gortex windgear and light weight base works well for me. i have revit 3 season gear.

·
Registered
8 Posts
I have two 2-piece suits from dianese: one leather one textile. I searched everywhere online and in stores tried many brands...I'm athletic built and the best fit was dianese. For cruising around town I prefer my textiles (hawker jacket & stormer pants) both have three layers. The pants have huge vent panel for super hot days. I live in Canada on the west coast which has a lot of rain. Last season all I had was my leathers which I had to combine with a cooling vest in summer. The only issue I have is with the jacket liner which seems to be built for Rossi's skinny arms but not everyone has gorilla type arms. I admit I'm a nuckledragger. If u can try whatever ur interested in on & sit on ur bike. Once I thought I found the perfect jacket, luckily I sat on a store bike, I was shocked when it turned into a tent. Revzilla was also a big help in my search...it takes a lot of time but so does this. Gud luck & be safe!!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts