Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
2,395 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok, with the smaller tanks that every one is getting im thinking of coating my tank. Is mine expanded yet? its hitting the key guard but it doesn't bother me. the problem is I've been putting gas in it for 7mos. I thought read once were some one drained theirs and then had it coated.

·
Registered
2,188 Posts
Can you please post of where it hits ?

Sent from my Motorcycle iPhone app
Typically the keyguard pushes into the steering damper bracket...if you remove the keyguard you can see the tank pushing into the radiator coolant fill bracket and eventually the front of the tank become the steering stop when your move the fork from lock to lock...

·
Registered
2,395 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
the key guard hits the the ignition at the 6 oclock position. but when i turn the steering wheel left and right it does not contact the forks or the handles bars. So I've deemed i can live with it in its current state but don't want it to get any bigger. That's why i was wondering about the coswell coating after gas has been used.

·
Registered
3,371 Posts
I'm wondering about the tank touching the key guard at the 6 oclock position as being normal. Mine has always had very close tolerances there. My tank has been empty almost 100% of the time since new unless I'm riding and that's only for a few hours. Does anyone know if the key tumbler was ever centered perfectly around the ignition? I don't think they where. I'm thinking the tolerance was really close at the 6 oclock position.

·
Registered
3,847 Posts
Ok, with the smaller tanks that every one is getting im thinking of coating my tank. Is mine expanded yet? its hitting the key guard but it doesn't bother me. the problem is I've been putting gas in it for 7mos. I thought read once were some one drained theirs and then had it coated.
That could have been me or at least one of them.
It hasn't changed since, the key is off center but I think it has always been, the key cover has been hitting the damper bracket so I filed a notch into it so that's where it's been since I coated the tank.

·
Registered
702 Posts
Piece of cake... Remove the tank, 1 bolt.
Pinch then quick disconnect lines to the fuel pump... 2 seconds.
Remove the pump... 10 bolts of so, slide the pump out, 5min.
Remove cap, 2min 4 bolts.

The wash the tank using hot water and dish water soap twice.
Rinse with hot water twice.
Let is dry for several days making sure there is no liquid left.

Get the Caldwell coating kit $62 shipped.

Two applications, half the cans each time.
Also if doing it in cooler or colder weather I'd probably suggest adding a little bit of paint thinner to make the epoxy a bit more liquid.

Dump in the tank, seal the pump and gas cap holes (duct tape or similar) then move this thing around slowly for 30min (it's a pain).
I actually did my second application with the pump openning uncovered so I would better see the epoxy going around... It isn't real liquid so it's not gonna spill like water.
That said I also wasn't worried about spillage as the tank was going to go to paint.

Let dry for a few days... Or weeks if doing over the winter...

Don't ever look back!

·
Premium Member
2,097 Posts
You should call your authorized ducati dealer. Mine said that coating the tank voids the tank warranty. Its $1000.+ for a new tank.
My tank started hitting the keygaurd, and there is 1/8 - 3/16 of an inch between fork and tank at full lock. Thats about half of the gap it was when it was new.
I called Pro Italia today and they said to bring it on by. Once they take pictures the process takes about a month.

·
Registered
3,847 Posts
You should call your authorized ducati dealer. Mine said that coating the tank voids the tank warranty. Its $1000.+ for a new tank.
My tank started hitting the keygaurd, and there is 1/8 - 3/16 of an inch between fork and tank at full lock. Thats about half of the gap it was when it was new.
I called Pro Italia today and they said to bring it on by. Once they take pictures the process takes about a month.
The idea is not to get a smaller replacement, if it was the same size would be one thing but as he specified in the beginning, they replace the tank with a smaller one now. Also, if you look in the inside of the tank with a flash light you'll see a shiny finish, clear and glossy, after the Caswell treatment the tank looks exactly the same so unless someone knows for sure that the tank was coated and they chemically test the finish, there's no way anyone could tell by looking at it or putting it next to another IMHO. :think:

·
Registered
2,188 Posts
If my memory serves me right, under the class action lawsuit you get one replacement tank which is warranteed for cosmetic and mechanical faliure for 6 months and 12 months respectfully. Eventually this replacement tank will need replacing and you'll have to pay for it...my dealer quoted me $1800 retail for a new tank.

·
Registered
2,289 Posts
I got a quote of $1600 for the Tamburini carbon tank. If I have to spend that kind of money I'll go with the same size and carbon.

·
Registered
3,847 Posts
I got a quote of $1600 for the Tamburini carbon tank. If I have to spend that kind of money I'll go with the same size and carbon.

Bingo!

1 - 14 of 14 Posts