Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
869 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So here's a little video. Each 16Gram CO2 cartridge gave me about 4.5psi on a 190/55R17 Michelin PR4. So to get to 36psi it would take a minimum of 8 16G cartridges.

Reactions: LA_Stu

·
Temporary greeter
23,076 Posts
This is very handy. I use it all the time. Much cheaper and more compact than carrying around CO2 cartridges

[ame]http://www.amazon.com/Slime-40020-Tire-Top-Inflator/dp/B002ZC1EOM/ref=sr_1_16?s=automotive&ie=UTF8&qid=1462553717&sr=1-16&keywords=slime+tire+inflator[/ame]

·
Registered
348 Posts
That's right in line with what I saw when I did the same experiment. Best I got was 5psi out of a single 16-gram CO2 cartridge. With the cheap plasticy inflator that came with my Multi I put in seven 16-gram cartridges and I only got to 25psi :(

·
Registered
70 Posts
I found the same thing to be true and also bought a mini-inflator. Those CO2 inflators that they include with the bike are slightly better than nothing.

·
Registered
843 Posts
I recently got a puncture out on a gravel country road, the road had a new layer of sharp gravel, fuk it. i got a 12mm slice, i had 4 canisters, i used one to put some air into the tire to find the hole, i did the hone out, and fitted the cord plug, and then put the last 3 cans of air in, it got to around 18psi, i road at 75-80 kph for 60k to a local country pub, where they had a compressor, pumped to 36, and it had a slow leak, i made the 160K home trip, where the tire still had 30psi. What a way to fuk up a good country back road ride. Made it home tho, i now have 6 cans of air. And i replaced the worn GT Angel.

·
Temporary greeter
23,076 Posts

·
Registered
869 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I have a couple of mini inflators. I used to carry one when I rode my Goldwing, but I had a separate 15A circuit for it's use, and I did use it a couple of times.

Have you tried one of these using the under seat power port on the Multi. I wonder if it will blow a fuse.

I'll probably repeat the experiment, later this week, using the inflators.

·
North Carolina, USA
3,320 Posts
Stripped out $10 Walmart pump I made before all the mini pumps were available. Plugs into the heated gear pigtails on all my bikes, wired directly to the batteries. Has always worked like a charm. I can't see depending on CO2 cartridges, way too fiddly.

Attachments

·
Registered
2,312 Posts
I have a couple of mini inflators. I used to carry one when I rode my Goldwing, but I had a separate 15A circuit for it's use, and I did use it a couple of times.

Have you tried one of these using the under seat power port on the Multi. I wonder if it will blow a fuse.

I'll probably repeat the experiment, later this week, using the inflators.
Very good observation about the fuse possibility. Looking forward to your results. Hoping the circuit withstands the inflator's demand.

·
Registered
324 Posts
I ran a pigtail with an in-line 15 amp fuse and an SAE terminal from my battery to the right side passenger foot peg bracket where it is zip tied more of less out of sight. I use this to power my compressor and to hook up my Battery Tender. ( The pigtail came with the Battery Tender. I suggest that everyone test their portable compressor in their garage from time to time. Many cheep compressors are not that durable, they get very hot, and they take a long time. Next time you get ready to change a tire, drill a hole in it and test you plugging method and compressor. Much better to do this in your shop rather than along side a busy freeway in the rain and dark.

·
Registered
348 Posts
When I got my flat, a guy on a KTM 1190 Adventure stopped to help. We connected his MotoPump to the under-seat accessory plug. Their info says the pump draws less than 5A. Didn't blow a fuse but the accessory plug doesn't provide continuous power unless the bike is running, so I was constantly having to turn the bike on again. The MotoPump plug was somewhat unreliable. Every time the bike's power shut off, there was a 50:50 chance I'd have to pull the plug out of the socket and reconnect it to get the pump running again. If you go this route, I'd suggest connecting an SAE pigtail directly to the battery and using that to power your pump.

Inflating a 190/55/-17 rear tire to 35psi takes a long time with one of these pumps! The gauge on the one I own, sadly packed on another bike when I got the flat on the Multi, reads 5psi low. The pump inflates to 30psi indicated (=25 psi actual) somewhat quickly, but then takes much longer to reach 40psi indicated (=35psi actual). Makes a heck of a racket while running, too. The MotoPump is slightly too large to fit underneath the DVT Multistrada's passenger seat (thus the reason I didn't have it with me). The zero loss connector is thin, which makes it easy to thread onto valve stems with limited clearance.

·
Registered
398 Posts
I certainly wouldn't go above 30 psi unless the plug was not holding air and could certainly ride a spirited pace at lower pressures. How long would you estimate to get to 28 lbs with the pump? 20 minutes? And if it took that long, I'd certainly have the bike running. That's just me-

·
Registered
348 Posts
I certainly wouldn't go above 30 psi unless the plug was not holding air and could certainly ride a spirited pace at lower pressures. How long would you estimate to get to 28 lbs with the pump? 20 minutes? And if it took that long, I'd certainly have the bike running. That's just me-
For a heavy bike like the Multistrada, I wouldn't want to encourage excessive tire flex by riding with the pressures too low. We inflated to 30psi indicated (~= 25psi actual if all of the gauges are off by as much as mine) and the plug didn't last 5 miles. I didn't time how long the inflation took either on the road or when I tested my pump at home. I'd guess it was at least 20-30 minutes. Bike started without a problem afterwards in both cases.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts