Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your bike HERE to be a part of this months Bike of the Month Challenge!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
292 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
so sometimes my 749 works as usual. apply some upward pressure with the left foot, roll of the gas, feel my left foot click up. but lately, i can upshift with out doing anything, if i just push up with a little pressure, i upshift. this only happens sometimes, but i don't really understand when. does this mean my clutch is on its way out?

·
Registered
277 Posts
So what you are doing there is not really kosher ... clutch issues aside ... what can happen is that the gear shifter pawl gets out of adjustment and will then leave your selector drum in between gears which will unavoidably (once you release the clutch) start to shear your gears ...

dont ask me how I know.

Migrane

·
Banned
11,256 Posts

·
Chilehead
6,985 Posts
what can happen is that the gear shifter pawl gets out of adjustment and will then leave your selector drum in between gears which will unavoidably (once you release the clutch) start to shear your gears ...
Only if you have some serious problems with your gearbox.

Normally, there is no intermediate position that would allow this to happen, just not possible. The clutch position is irrelevant, the gears are always turning if the bike is moving. If this is happening, the gearbox has wrong shimming or bent forks.

Tom

·
Premium Member
0 Posts
Clutchless UPshifting isn't bad for your bike at all if it's done quickly and smoothly. Just a minor blip of the throttle and the shifter will pop right into the next gear.

Clutchless DOWNshifting, on the other hand, is retarded. Don't do it. You'll either blow up your drive train or crash trying...

elliottw said:
...sometimes my 749 works as usual. apply some upward pressure with the left foot, roll of the gas, feel my left foot click up. but lately, i can upshift with out doing anything, if i just push up with a little pressure, i upshift. this only happens sometimes, but i don't really understand when. does this mean my clutch is on its way out?
It shouldn't have anything to do with your clutch at all.

What's probably happening - and start paying attention to the conditions when it does happen - is you're preloading the shifter while riding at light- or neutral-throttle opening, when you might hit a bump or crack in the road that causes you to close the throttle for an instant. At that moment, it will "speed shift" itself.

Any time you are loading the shifter and you blip off the throttle momentarily, it will catch an upshift, whether you're fully on it or just cruising along.

Next time you're out riding, see if this is what's going on. If so, there's nothing mechanical to worry about...

·
Registered
790 Posts
so clutchless upshifting is not good for your bike?
I do it all the time is it bad??
What's your main purpose of not using the clutch?

Just use the clutch man
Not very hard or expensive to replace them anyway.
Maybe if the OP had been using the clutch we won't have this thread :D:p

·
Banned
11,256 Posts
Clutchless DOWNshifting, on the other hand, is retarded. Don't do it. You'll either blow up your drive train or crash trying...
ROFL!

Well, I agree its not the best thing for your transmission, If you learn how to do it, you won't have a problem.
I also agree that you don't NEED to do it. The clutch is there, just use the bloody thing! :D

On my race bike (using reverse shift) I keep my foot on the shifter lever, applying pressure at all times during an up-shifting set and when the bike hits the rev limiter,( I have it set for minimal fuel cut so its not very abrupt) just enough that it slows the motor down and it falls into gear. Its basically the same thing as a quick shifter, only its free! ;)

So if you take the same premise and pull up on the lever with a bit of pressure when you let go of the throttle, you should be able to knock it into gear as your slowing down (down shifting). I suggest having a slipper clutch if you plan on doing it, the slipper tends to smooth the transition out a lot. Otherwise, the rear could lock up on ya.

But on the street, I tend to use the clutchless down shifting when I'm pulling up to a light and I wanna rest my body a bit. So I take my hands off the bars, use the rear brake to slow me down and down shift the bike until I hit the light without touching the bars. Its a simple trick, if your going slow around town...

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3

·
Registered
944 Posts
ROFL!

Well, I agree its not the best thing for your transmission, If you learn how to do it, you won't have a problem.
I also agree that you don't NEED to do it. The clutch is there, just use the bloody thing! :D

On my race bike (using reverse shift) I keep my foot on the shifter lever, applying pressure at all times during an up-shifting set and when the bike hits the rev limiter,( I have it set for minimal fuel cut so its not very abrupt) just enough that it slows the motor down and it falls into gear. Its basically the same thing as a quick shifter, only its free! ;)

So if you take the same premise and pull up on the lever with a bit of pressure when you let go of the throttle, you should be able to knock it into gear as your slowing down (down shifting). I suggest having a slipper clutch if you plan on doing it, the slipper tends to smooth the transition out a lot. Otherwise, the rear could lock up on ya.

But on the street, I tend to use the clutchless down shifting when I'm pulling up to a light and I wanna rest my body a bit. So I take my hands off the bars, use the rear brake to slow me down and down shift the bike until I hit the light without touching the bars. Its a simple trick, if your going slow around town...
Ok the first bold section is why your bike is doing it so easily. Constantly putting pressure is bad and will cause the transmission to slip gears and get false neautrals. Rev limiter shifting is bad and wasteful. It's bad because of the fore mentioned issue, it is wasteful, because by the time you hit the limiter your power is already dropping. I'm sure tye will tell us about his custom limiter set-up that allows him to shift at the perfect power point, but I suggest getting the timing down for your shifts, and doing it around 500 revs before the limiter.

The second bold portion, once again shows why Tye's advice should be taken in desperate moderation. The only reason he survives that stunt, is because he has a really nice slipper clutch. You will NEVER get away with that on a standard clutch. As AZ Scott pointed out you will probably end up on your head. Learn to rev match with blipping.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts