Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well I have been going through my 996 and have been doing some neglected maintenance on it. Did the belts, plugs, oil, brakes, etc. was looking at clutch and saw the rusty springs. When riding it I swear it would go into 4th or 5th on occasion. I bought the Barnett springs and changed mine out. When removing the old springs I discovered a broken post on the inner hub. It was definitely cracked and just pulled off with not much force. So I replaced the other 5 springs and am looking into ordering a clutch or just a replacement hub. Went to move the bike today and it is super difficult to find neutral now and it also starts pulling in 1st. As soon as it’s in gear it pulls and needs the brake applied. If I don’t let it go it stalls. It wasnt doing this before but didn’t know if the springs would cause this. I can recheck the torque but it was 5lbs for the springs. Any tips? Also what are good replacement clutches? My friend has a Yoyodyne kit that needs a basket and the ball bearings. He has it on a 999 but says it fits the 996. Thanks in advance

·
Registered
338 Posts
Seems like your clutch plate stack height is too high and is dragging.

Or your clutch lever needs more travel to disengage the pressure plate.

·
Come in Spinner :)
7,323 Posts
Remove the spring opposite the broken post and see if that improves things.

·
Registered
136 Posts
Check stack height first.

Bleed clutch line and investigate for leaks at the slave or master end

Be aware that some aftermarket clutches require different length push rods which could interfere with proper function.

·
Come in Spinner :)
7,323 Posts

Be aware that some aftermarket clutches require different length push rods which could interfere with proper function.

Did you miss this bit?
When removing the old springs I discovered a broken post on the inner hub. It was definitely cracked and just pulled off with not much force. So I replaced the other 5 springs and am looking into ordering a clutch or just a replacement hub.

·
Registered
381 Posts

I've never seen any aftermarket clutch kit require a different length pushrod?

I have seen the Slave cylinder with the adapter shim included to use on pre and post 2000 bikes though.

·
Registered
422 Posts
Did you miss this bit?
When removing the old springs I discovered a broken post on the inner hub. It was definitely cracked and just pulled off with not much force. So I replaced the other 5 springs and am looking into ordering a clutch or just a replacement hub.
Well done Davy ,, let’s start with the obvious first hey , omg , do people not read .

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)
Not looking good. Ordered a clutch kit and began disassembly and discovered so much carnage. This bike sat for years and I did the basic maintenance to get it back on the road. I swear it wasn’t going into 4th or 5th. Maybe these pictures explain why. Now I have to find an inner hub or aftermarket one. What would cause these fins to break?

Also is there supposed to be a rubberized coating under the clutch basket. Mine had one but it seemed to be breaking off into the clutch plates. It’s everywhere. Going to guess these are the rubber vibration pieces and they just melted inside there. Causing the fins to shatter. But why does that happen????

Any tips are appreciated.

Thanks

Attachments

·
Registered
363 Posts
I'm far from an expert on Ducati's, But I am a BMW Master Certified Tech. My opinion is that --Thats FUBAR someone tell me if I am correct so I can learn more about Ducati's lol

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I was riding it for the last month I had it. It ran really well minus being difficult to find neutral on occasion and not going into 4th or 5th. The black stuff was all rubber coating. The rubber dampeners must have come loose when the fins broke and then melted into this coating. It was in pieces between the clutch plates and then all over outside of basket. I just ordered the inner hub and rubber dampeners from Gotham Cycles and I’m going to replace it all and see how it is. Thanks for the help and don’t laugh too hard at my situation lol

·
Registered
363 Posts
this I can promise--I am not laughing at you mate, I feel your pain, I have a bike in my shop right now -the customer just had the rear drive rebuilt 1500 miles ago-(this is on a BMW R1100GS) --he took it to a dealer and they rebuilt it -then he picked it up and reinstalled it on his bike himself--he rode it 1500 miles then the bike stopped moving. He brought it to my shop --said I dont know where the fluid went I removed the drain plug and nothing came out---after I opened it up -I told him I found where your read drive fluid went--he ask--Where????. I told him --It's still in the damn bottle on the shelf in your garage--you never put it in.----It was the worst F--Ked up read drive I have ever seen-and I have been doing these bikes for 35 years lol

·
Premium Member
3,473 Posts
Working on these bikes full time for over 20 years and I have never seen a clutch hub like that.

I assume that something broke and was then in use afterwards that destroyed the rest. Be glad it stopped working or the parts count would have continued to increase. Makes you wonder what the rocker arms look like. :wink2:

Easy enough fix take the 999 clutch assembly from your friend and drop it right in, dont forget to replace the clutch pushrod seal that is missing in the picture. Inspect the pushrod for wear from the dry bearing and you will find orings from the dealer for short money just get the right part. FYI: plenty of times a barnett dry clutch pack will bond fiber to steel if wet (say after riding in rain or washing) just rock the bike back and forth to break them free.

Just install all the parts from your friends 999 and you should be good.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Well got the replacement hub and the rubber vibration dampners. I could only find 11 out of the 12 needed.Hopefully that’s not too much of an issue. Got the plates in and a good measurement on the stack. Fired it up and there was a little smoke from clutch and some initial squeeking but it went away. Shifting seems much better and smoother. Hopefully the smoke and extra noises are slightly normal. Thanks

·
Registered
5,708 Posts
I'm far from an expert on Ducati's, But I am a BMW Master Certified Tech. My opinion is that --Thats FUBAR someone tell me if I am correct so I can learn more about Ducati's lol
Apparently Germans and Italians use the same technical terms. The US Army too !

1 - 17 of 17 Posts