Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Gotta question. I just bought a 2000 748 with 7200 miles. I love working on stuff so I decided to see what it sounded like without the clutch cover. After I opened her up I noticed that there was an unusual metal tinging sound when the clutch was disengaged. I stopped the bike and took a closer look at the clutch assembly and found that the clutch disc tangs and clutch basket showed signs of excessive wear. Does anyone know the tolerances of the tang to basket clearance? How do you measure it. The basket itself has fairly large indentations in it as do the clutch tangs. Also, isn't the clutch inspection part of a 6K service? The dealer that I bought it from said that they did the service before I bought it and now I am starting to wonder. Thanks.

·
Registered
403 Posts
SgtRock said:
Gotta question. I just bought a 2000 748 with 7200 miles. I love working on stuff so I decided to see what it sounded like without the clutch cover. After I opened her up I noticed that there was an unusual metal tinging sound when the clutch was disengaged. I stopped the bike and took a closer look at the clutch assembly and found that the clutch disc tangs and clutch basket showed signs of excessive wear. Does anyone know the tolerances of the tang to basket clearance? How do you measure it. The basket itself has fairly large indentations in it as do the clutch tangs. Also, isn't the clutch inspection part of a 6K service? The dealer that I bought it from said that they did the service before I bought it and now I am starting to wonder. Thanks.

Metal tinging sound is entirely normal. Banged up clutch baskets and semi-flattened clutch plate tangs are also unfortunately pretty normal. If you are having no problems with snatchy engagement, failure to disengage completely, or clutch slip (easiest to observe in higher gears under heavy throttle), then just keep on keepin' on. The noise gets a bit louder as the plates and basket get more banged up and tolerances grow, but as long as the feel is OK, it's just added character. Eventually, something will get bad enough that the plates will stick in the notches of the basket and make for problems, but you hopefully have a ways to go. I thought mine was pretty bad, posted up pics and everyone said they had seen 10x worse. So, the Magic Eight Ball says, "Ask again later." You're fine for now.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks! I'll keep on goin until she blows! If I do decide to spend the cash, what type of clutch discs, basket and plate do you recommend for a reasonable price. I found from previouse posts that the kits from desmo times are good. I like the price too. Anything under 500? Bye the way, this site rocks!!!!

·
Registered
922 Posts
slipper clutches are awesome, if you can find one at a reasonable price. otherwise an alloy basket will lighten things up a little, just remember though, alloy basket - alloy friction plates. steel basket- steel friction plates.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts