Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
230 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a Monster 1100, and since this is my first Ducati and first bike with a dry clutch, I was wondering if all the awful noises coming from down there are normal?

When engaging the clutch in first gear at low rpms, it feels really crunchy, and the bike rumbles/vibrates pretty noticeably as it starts off. And riding along in first gear, low rpms, pretty much just letting it go by itself, no gas, about 1200-2000 rpms, there's all kinds of clattering, clunking, clanking (sometimes sounds like you're crushing a bag of chips or crackers).

I realize that while at a stop, clutch out, the clattering noises are normal. And also when you pull the clutch in, the "tamborine" noises are normal. But are the noises described while riding at low speeds/rpms also normal?

By the way, I have an open clutch cover, so I know this probably adds to the noise.

·
Registered
156 Posts
Normal

Get it above 4K and it will smooth out. This is my first Ducati too and I was alarmed at all the noise.
In fact I couldn't make out what all the fuss was about Dry Clutch then to make it worse lets put an open cover on it.
I don' t like it and find it embarrassing when stationary brand new bike rattling and clanging away.. But if you want the bike you have to put up with it especially as I succumbed to the bling of an open cover. :)

·
Registered
180 Posts
I wish I could hear what you are describing because I like the sound of my bike and actually never noticed it much but maybe thats just me, I do wonder though.

·
Registered
230 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Normal

Get it above 4K and it will smooth out. This is my first Ducati too and I was alarmed at all the noise.
In fact I couldn't make out what all the fuss was about Dry Clutch then to make it worse lets put an open cover on it.
I don' t like it and find it embarrassing when stationary brand new bike rattling and clanging away.. But if you want the bike you have to put up with it especially as I succumbed to the bling of an open cover. :)
yeah i got the open cover for looks, and I guess the noises come with it. thanks for the reassurance :)

I wish I could hear what you are describing because I like the sound of my bike and actually never noticed it much but maybe thats just me, I do wonder though.
all kinds of mechanical noises coming from the clutch area, I guess it's louder since i got the open cover. i live in a condo and park in a parking structure. that's when I really notice it because sound gets amplified in a parking structure. when i bring it in for the 600 mile service, i'll have them listen/look at it, but from the above post, it would seem to be normal

1 - 4 of 4 Posts