Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
613 Posts
Dont use vise grips mate--It's not a Harley lol, you will bugger things up with vice grips, I would hope the clutch holding tool would do the job-as long as it is a factory or good quality tool not Chinese junk

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I do not have the tool in hand, it is one of the better metal types, cogged bolted to the case. Just asking, I read some doom and gloom posts that the tool can break, the tool can break other things if the engine is not in gear and held by rear tire. I have quickly cobbled a sprocket and used chain to install to hold the drive shaft while on the bench. I have pulled clutch baskets from every bike known to man, but the Ducati experts seem to wring their hands about doing things the "right way". I'm pretty sure that I've got it sorted out, just asking the question in case there is something stupid about the Ducati I have missed.

·
Registered
1,695 Posts
my clutch tool is a heap of plates welded together with a tube handle welded on it that an old fork tube slides over nicely. i am also a bit dubious of the 4 screw to case tools, but i guess a lot of people use them.

·
Premium Member
653 Posts
I've done three or four clutches using the HDESA tool. Can be found on ebay pretty cheapy, and really well made. No issues torquing to 180Nm. Remember that you're distributing the shear forces across the number of bolts in the case.

·
Registered
1,015 Posts
Mine is the same as what Belter made. At least in so far as it is basically a stack of old steel plates welded together.

Mine differs in that I welded 2 1/4” thick steel tabs to it with holes to allow it to be bolted to the case. Even with just 2 bolts it is sufficient to do the job. I use a 1/2” impact wrench for removal. Works for install just fine too.

When I looked around for a tool to do the job, many looked to me like a steel plate with a handle on it. Some wanted $100 or more for what looked to me like something I could weld together for free.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts