Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Life is too short to worry !
2,650 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have just had to replace the clutch switch (i.e. allows you to start the engine in gear with the clutch pulled in) as it had fallen apart.
I fitted the new switch and then went to tighten the nut snug , big mistake , I hardly put any pressure on the nut and the threaded section broke away :eek:

Luckilly the sensor switch can be disassembled so was able to take the old one and fit to the new switch but otherwise would have cost another £ 45.00

So moral is 'finger tight' only , dont even show it a spanner................:rolleyes:

·
Super Moderator
5,237 Posts
I just replaced my switch a few weeks ago. They are a "light-weight" piece of manufacturing with a staggering price!

·
Registered
3,448 Posts
I have just had to replace the clutch switch (i.e. allows you to start the engine in gear with the clutch pulled in) as it had fallen apart.
None of my Ducatis have that switch. I'd just jumper the two wires and forget about replacing the switch....I just did the same thing for the clutch interlock switch on my Honda Civic. ;)

·
Life is too short to worry !
2,650 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
None of my Ducatis have that switch. I'd just jumper the two wires and forget about replacing the switch....I just did the same thing for the clutch interlock switch on my Honda Civic. ;)
I like to be able to restart if stalled in gear by just pulling in the clutch so am keen to retain it.

·
Registered
647 Posts
I like to be able to restart if stalled in gear by just pulling in the clutch so am keen to retain it.
You could still do that if you bridge the switch - just remember not to push the starter button with the bike in gear :)

I don't know if the 05 ST4s uses the same piece of junk switch that the 03 had but when mine fell to bits I replaced it with a microswitch of the type used on the front brake. The clutch master cylinder is already drilled for the mounting screws.

·
Registered
3,448 Posts
You could still do that if you bridge the switch - just remember not to push the starter button with the bike in gear :)
Correct. I can start all of my Ducs while in gear and with the clutch pulled in....or without the clutch pulled in. It's my decision, no matter what the consequences may be. :D

I always pull the clutch in when starting the bike. I've been dinged by a couple of false neutral lights in the past.

·
Premium Member
2,072 Posts
I've been dinged by a couple of false neutral lights in the past.
Or the reverse. I rode one of my brother's bikes in California three years ago and it gave false non-neutrals. I put it in gear, the light went off, it seemed fine, I took off and no gear! Twice I was getting ready to go into a corner and leaned over, only to find no power.

Down for the count. Deceived by another Jap bike! Not the first time . . . :cool:

Ron

·
Mr Leakered
8,831 Posts
My vote is for bypass. But, that's me.

Alternately, remember that the bare switch can be sourced at Radio Shack. You'll have to do a bit of soldering.

Have a good one.

·
Premium Member
5,648 Posts
I don't know if the 05 ST4s uses the same piece of junk switch that the 03 had but when mine fell to bits I replaced it with a microswitch of the type used on the front brake. The clutch master cylinder is already drilled for the mounting screws.
That and I've always figured if I had to replace any of those switches (brake or clutch), I would source one of those banjo bolts that have an intragrated pressure switch.

·
Registered
1,670 Posts
What am I missing. My switch fell apart when I tried to reinstall it so I cut it off. I took the blue and black wires and shorted them or wired them together. The bike will not start in gear. I separate the wires and the bike still won't start in gear.

·
Registered
426 Posts
Not sure on Ducati's but all the injected Jap bikes if you simply jumper the clutch switch contacts it will cut back the timming and lower the rev limit a few thousand RPM.
This has been a huge problem in motorcycle powered cars as floor mount clutches normal don't have switches. You end up using a relay tied in with the starter relay to fool the ECU.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts