Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your bike HERE to be a part of this months Bike of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
417 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey all,

I was just riding and as I pulled from a stop the whole bike wobbled as I let go of the clutch. The clutch pressure plate looked like it was wobbling around and I wasn’t getting any traction. I barely made it home after that. Any ideas why this might happen? I just had the clutch pack replaced with a new one by a Ducati mechanic. Are the plates getting cooked? If so, what can I do to cool things down.

By the way, this happened while it was really hot outside (around 98F).

Cheers,

Mike

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
417 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I don’t think so. He said it sounds like the plates got cooked/glazed. Would that really cause that crazy wobble?

·
Registered
2,445 Posts
Give us a more detailed description of what happened when you pulled away and let out the clutch. Possibly the new plates gripped suddenly and caught you out?

·
Registered
896 Posts
Pull the clutch cover and check the clutch spring bolts. Can’t see why the pressure plate would wobble unless some/most bolts came loose (eg. over tightened and stripped the threads).

·
Registered
1,112 Posts
If it is a NEW clutch pressure plate wobbling only when not engaged ?

The throwout bearing was not pressed in straight in the pressure plate
or
The rod is bent. Not likely
or
Clutch basket is old and chewed up and holding the plates

If the clutch does not drag or slip
then there is no problem

·
Registered
417 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Found what the problem is... Fixed but I’m having an issue now shifting gears. It’s so incredibly hard! I’ve bled the clutch twice now. I suppose the stack needs adjusting?

·
Registered
179 Posts
Mike, you say fixed.. What did you exactly do?
Just changed the plates?

Any idea if you're all stock in there or if they're mixed and matched? Barnett, etc..

·
Registered
417 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Mike, you say fixed.. What did you exactly do?

Just changed the plates?

Any idea if you're all stock in there or if they're mixed and matched? Barnett, etc..

I replaced the one bad organic plate there. They’re all from an EVR clutch plate kit. I still don’t understand why it’s so hard to shift gears and next to impossible to find neutral. I’ve bled the system several times already too.

·
Registered
179 Posts
Well, I'll tell you why I ask.
Did you by any chance get to look at the bare dismantled clutch basket?

In my situation, it had been replaced with a cheap (but not that cheap) eBay clutch basket, and the barnett plates didn't like it.
I swapped to a barnett clutch basket and that was my problem.. It was causing grinding and surging, and a hell of a noise.

Another thing with tightness of pull.. Did you check the spring height? When the springs are toast, they won't work any more when you try to disengage the clutch.
Same with over-tightened or unevenly tightened springs.

It taught me a thing or two about mixing and matching.
That said I do still have an eBay pressure plate.

Be very interested to hear how you do.

Rob.

I replaced the one bad organic plate there. They’re all from an EVR clutch plate kit. I still don’t understand why it’s so hard to shift gears and next to impossible to find neutral. I’ve bled the system several times already too.

·
Registered
179 Posts
New clutch pack? That looks like an old piece of crap. :rolleyes:
I think he's saying that's the one he replaced.
Sounds to me like the plates are sticking up in the basket.

Mike.. Did you get a chance to measure the stack height?
The way you're explaining this, and also kind of sounding like you're cutting some corners.. It's a recipe for a confusing time.

If I were you I'd go back to the mechanic. If it's a situation where you can't for whatever reason, it might be time to strip the clutch down and get lots of pictures, take lots of measurements.

Rob.

·
Registered
417 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I think he's saying that's the one he replaced.

Sounds to me like the plates are sticking up in the basket.

Mike.. Did you get a chance to measure the stack height?

The way you're explaining this, and also kind of sounding like you're cutting some corners.. It's a recipe for a confusing time.

If I were you I'd go back to the mechanic. If it's a situation where you can't for whatever reason, it might be time to strip the clutch down and get lots of pictures, take lots of measurements.

Rob.

The last measurement I got was around 35. Something mm. I’ll have to check again. I think the previous owner changed the clutch hub. Would that make a difference in stack height?

The basket is from EVR as well and it’s a 48T one. I got the springs a little while back so it should be ok.

I’ll take it all apart again and measure everything. It may have to wait until the weekend. :(

·
Registered
2,445 Posts
I don't think that it has anything to do with the hydraulics, it's more likely something is preventing the plates lifting cleanly causing the clutch to 'drag'. The new pack obviously didn't like the clutch basket or pressure plate.

·
Registered
179 Posts
The last measurement I got was around 35. Something mm. I’ll have to check again. I think the previous owner changed the clutch hub. Would that make a difference in stack height?

The basket is from EVR as well and it’s a 48T one. I got the springs a little while back so it should be ok.

I’ll take it all apart again and measure everything. It may have to wait until the weekend. :(

Hrm, no shouldn't, but could..

Things to be careful of are order of clutch plates. Make sure they're in order. You'll need to find the brand and their install instructions for it.
My Barnett's have a weird dished smaller in-between plate that helps break the stack apart.
The hub, find the instructions. Again, read if it's the same as the OEM part.

The pressure plate is not okay to put back in wherever it will fit. It has a specific central location. The eBay special on mine didn't have a marking on it. I literally had to try every position and note which was perfectly centered, but most are marked.

Are you using torque wrenches? Even a cheap harbor freight will do. But you want to make sure you're getting those spring bolts on in a very even manner. You don't tighten one and move to the next. You slowly tighten them all in a crisscross patterns to ensure the plate can't bind or move unevenly.

Thrust rod needs to be straight. Thrust bearing needs to be secured and freely moving.

Do you have an open clutch plate? A video might help.

Also, watch a youtube video or 10 on replacing a clutch. There's a lot, and it might point out something you did that wasn't to spec.

It isn't rocket science, but there's a few things screw-upable. Hell if I can do it, anyone can.
Looking forward to hearing how it goes :)

·
Registered
417 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Guys, I thank you so very much. I finally sorted it out! The clutch pack and springs were replaced (length was off by a lot!) and the center clutch but was tightened (wasn’t torqued to spec!).

Old:

New:

Also, I ran into a stuck oil filter so I did my research and tried the usual tools but this worked for me if anyone ever faces the same problem!

Used an old oil filter cap wrench and drilled a few holes in it and then screwed in some screws. After that it came right off!

Cheers guys! Now I’m facing a new issue (damnit!) the bike just died on me and won’t start (it cranks just fine). I have a feeling it may be the rectifier. I’ll start a new thread for that one.

Cheers everyone!!

1 - 20 of 22 Posts