Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your bike HERE to be a part of this months Bike of the Month Challenge!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The other day I was riding and my clutch slave started leaking. Inspected it and the guts seemed bad. Ordered all the insides and waited 4 days for delivery. Got it put on and same problem about 30 miles later. I found the bearing on the pressure plate was seized. When I pulled everything off I noticed the clutch was bad. The previous owner stripped the bolts holding the springs so after I pulled all of those out I am sitting here shaking my head.... I need to replace a lot so I was wondering how this kit looks.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Ducati-Clu...ash=item52034c364a:g:4IwAAOSwSypY94nu&vxp=mtr

I have pics but am so mortified I don't want to post them. The clutch never slipped of felt bad so I figured it was fine.

So after I'm done with the clutch should I order new internals for the OEM slave cylinder or upgrade to an aftermarket one? It's my daily rider (rain or shine) so I don't know what will last longer. Thanks in advance!!

·
Premium Member
713 Posts
Gotham Cycles is a pretty reputable parts supplier, this seems a reasonable price for "all of the above." They may also have your clutch slave parts available to save you some shipping costs. Since you already have the old one out, I assume you have a clutch basket holder; if not, you'll need one to do the full replacement. Look for the HDESA tool, they're nicely made and usually less expensive than the others. Gotham may have one of those available too.

Not sure what year/model your bike is, the common practice is to include it in your forum signature; sometimes that helps people make recommendations. If you have a carb'd bike, I would not necessarily suggest an upgraded slave as they can be mismatched in size, to a point where the clutch never fully disengages when you pull the handle. Attached is a nifty chart pulled from elsewhere on this forum to help make a better selection/decision. I completely ditched the OEM clutch hydraulics on my '94 and replaced it with a 1098 OEM radial master and Oberon slave, but that gets expensive quickly.

The engagement rod should be installed/removed from the slave side, not the pressure plate side. Sometimes it gets fused to the bearing and come out the wrong way which can damage the seals and cause a minor oil leak. Get some replacement seals for the rod while you have it apart, they're also probably worn. They're only a couple of dollars extra.

Attachments

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for that psyopper! I probably did the most common mistake when it comes to the fused bearing/rod. I pulled it from the clutch side. So I'll be getting the rings like you suggested. I've pretty much fixed every leak on this bike since owning it, so that would piss me off. The original owner was pretty rough on it towards the end of his ownership. Luckily I've built a strong relationship with my parts guys so I am able to borrow the tool to take off the basket and hub. I think by now it's almost a brand new bike :wink2:

·
Premium Member
713 Posts
Thanks for that psyopper! I probably did the most common mistake when it comes to the fused bearing/rod. I pulled it from the clutch side.
I did the same, sometimes it's unavoidable. It took me 10 minutes mounted in a bench vice with a mallet and punch to get mine extricated from the bearing. Doing that on the bike would have beena dramatically bad idea.

I think by now it's almost a brand new bike :wink2:
I know that feeling all too well. It's a brotherhood. It's how you change from merely "owning a Ducati" to "having Ducati in your blood." Welcome.

Reactions: County Fair

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
My rod came out fine (haha), the seals look fine but I think ill change them anyway. I'm glad to be in the club. Nothing makes you appreciate and trust your bike like working on it. Thanks for all the advice, I'm ordering my clutch kit right now.

·
Registered
289 Posts
My rod came out fine (haha), the seals look fine but I think ill change them anyway. I'm glad to be in the club. Nothing makes you appreciate and trust your bike like working on it. Thanks for all the advice, I'm ordering my clutch kit right now.
Appreciate, yes. Trust?... Only with cell service for me.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Clutch is done man

So yea the basket was toast, same with the hub. Clutch plates, yeah right... Ohh and a bonus, 4 clutch spring bolts were COMPLETELY stripped and I had to tap them out. Gotta love previous owners, now I now why he never changed the clutch. Gotham Cycles hooked it up with a forum discount for their clutch kit. I am very impressed with their customer service via messages through this forum. The clutch feels so good now. I didn't think it slipped much before, but now I know it was slipping bad. Can't wait for the next repair :wink2:

Picked up a tool from Ebay to hold the hub in place while I tightened the hub for only 23 bucks.

Attachments

1 - 7 of 7 Posts