Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2006 Multistrada 620, just bought it with 4850 miles on it. The clutch plates stick together when the engine gets cold. Here's my experience:
I get the bike out the first time of the day, put it in first without starting the engine, pull in the clutch lever, push the bike forward and the bike stops. The clutch is still engaged despite having the lever pulled in all the way. I rock the bike back and forth a few times until the plates break free. Then the bike functions normally until I ride it, then let it sit long enough to get cold again. Plates don't get stuck everytime but probably at least 80% of the time.
First time I found this out with the engine running, and the bike jumped forward and stalled.
Sometimes warming the bike up helps. I always give it at least 30 seconds with the fast idle lever revving it to 2k rpm's or so. Usually I wait until the temp is off LO. If it is cold I will give it 5 minutes like the manual suggests. That's about how long it takes to get off LO when it is 55 degrees. Sometimes I get the temp as high as 140F, shut the bike off and find the plates are still stuck.
What's the issue here, and is it fixable? Warped clutch plates?
Am I doing damage to anything other than the clutch plates by rocking them free like this?
My ninja did this once, after storing it in an unheated garage for three months.

·
North Carolina, USA
3,320 Posts
I have a 2006 Multistrada 620, just bought it with 4850 miles on it. The clutch plates stick together when the engine gets cold. Here's my experience:
I get the bike out the first time of the day, put it in first without starting the engine, pull in the clutch lever, push the bike forward and the bike stops. The clutch is still engaged despite having the lever pulled in all the way. I rock the bike back and forth a few times until the plates break free. Then the bike functions normally until I ride it, then let it sit long enough to get cold again. Plates don't get stuck everytime but probably at least 80% of the time.
First time I found this out with the engine running, and the bike jumped forward and stalled.
Sometimes warming the bike up helps. I always give it at least 30 seconds with the fast idle lever revving it to 2k rpm's or so. Usually I wait until the temp is off LO. If it is cold I will give it 5 minutes like the manual suggests. That's about how long it takes to get off LO when it is 55 degrees. Sometimes I get the temp as high as 140F, shut the bike off and find the plates are still stuck.
What's the issue here, and is it fixable? Warped clutch plates?
Am I doing damage to anything other than the clutch plates by rocking them free like this?
My ninja did this once, after storing it in an unheated garage for three months.
Nevermind. I was thinking the 620 had a dry clutch.

·
Registered
5 Posts
I'm surprised that there has been no response. I have the same symptoms on my 06 MS 620 Dark. Your message however has been of some help. I will try putting it into 1st gear, pulling clutch and then moving the machine to free up the clutch before each first start of the day. It would be nice if this makeshift fix wasn't necesary.

·
Registered
1,178 Posts
My monster has a wet clutch and it never did anything like this, so it's not that "normal" with ducati wet clutches.

Only thing i can think of with that milage is either air in the clutch line or old/bad oil.
I assume you're using motorcycle oil wich is suited for use with a wet clutch? other oil will screw and damage your clutch.
With air in the clutchline it might not disengage fully, you could try bleeding the line.
Only things i can think of...

Best of luck to both of you.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Clutch plates sticking

I could have written that post from TheYellowDart. My '06 Monster S2R 800 does the same thing. It never sticks once warmed up, but first thing in the morning, it's another story. Rocking it back and forth is the best way to break the plates free. If it sits long enough without running it will stick again. I've changed the oil with high-performance fully synthetic oil purchased from the dealer. Question:

Is there only 1 supply of oil that needs changing?
Is it the same oil that lubes the engine and tranny?
Is there anything different about the plates used around 2006?
Is replacing them a waste of time and money?

Looking forward to any info someone could provide

1 - 5 of 5 Posts